Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RomfordNavy
    • By RomfordNavy 12th Oct 18, 9:25 PM
    • 168Posts
    • 14Thanks
    RomfordNavy
    Crypto Curriencies
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:25 PM
    Crypto Curriencies 12th Oct 18 at 9:25 PM
    Anyone suggest a place to start learning about crypto currencies?

Just beginning to think that a small investment in them should perhaps be part of a balanced portfolio. I know there have been lots of crypto related scams but beyond all of that it is beginning to look like there might just be a future for them but need too learn a lot more before getting involved.
Page 1
    • 25 Years On
    • By 25 Years On 13th Oct 18, 6:30 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    25 Years On
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:30 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:30 AM
    You seem to be on a mission to find dodgy investments for an unbalanced portfolio.
    • markj113
    • By markj113 13th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    markj113
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    www.bitcointalk.org

The above is the largest crypto forum out there so will have all the latest updates and community feedback. As you state crypto is like the wild west at the moment so due dilligence is required at every step or you will be scammed sooner rather than later.
    • RomfordNavy
    • By RomfordNavy 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    RomfordNavy
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    You seem to be on a mission to find dodgy investments for an unbalanced portfolio.
    Originally posted by 25 Years On
    Searching for alternatives to equities inorder to spead the portfolio as wide as possible.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    TBC15
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    You appear to be in search of a box of matches.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    Searching for alternatives to equities inorder to spead the portfolio as wide as possible.
    Originally posted by RomfordNavy
    Wanna try investing in my magic beans?

Alex
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 11,063 Posts
    • 12,745 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Searching for alternatives to equities in order to spread the portfolio as wide as possible.

You should spread it as far as necessary not as far as possible.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 13th Oct 18, 8:34 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:34 PM
    Wanna try investing in my magic beans?

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Will they, despite the scorn and anger of those around me, yield a goose that lays golden eggs, and so give me the crown of being perhaps the ultimate contrarian investor?

If so, then yes please... not so sure about cryptocurrencies though.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 13th Oct 18, 8:34 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Anyone suggest a place to start learning about crypto currencies?

Just beginning to think that a small investment in them should perhaps be part of a balanced portfolio. I know there have been lots of crypto related scams but beyond all of that it is beginning to look like there might just be a future for them but need too learn a lot more before getting involved.
    Can you be more specific about what it is that has caused you to think that crypto should be part of a balanced portfolio when you admit you have yet to start learning about it?

You might also consider that some investment platforms allow you to invest in crypto markets in a unit-trust sort of style where you don't actually buy any currency but your investment is linked to movements in their values.

Whether that is any more or less risky than investing in the currency itself I do not know but at least that way you get to give your money away to a regulated body.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Oct 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    Alexland
    Will they, despite the scorn and anger of those around me, yield a goose that lays golden eggs, and so give me the crown of being perhaps the ultimate contrarian investor?
    Originally posted by londoninvestor
    I'm not FCA authorised to give advice for your circumstances or those around you. As such I can only offer magic beans on an execution only basis. They are quite rare and valuable but I have unlimited supply for those that want in on this opportunity please PM me.

Alex
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 8,961 Posts
    • 8,675 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    Can you be more specific about what it is that has caused you to think that crypto should be part of a balanced portfolio when you admit you have yet to start learning about it?

You might also consider that some investment platforms allow you to invest in crypto markets in a unit-trust sort of style where you don't actually buy any currency but your investment is linked to movements in their values.

Whether that is any more or less risky than investing in the currency itself I do not know but at least that way you get to give your money away to a regulated body.
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling

Specifically Hargreaves Lansdown offer both Ether and BTC trackers.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    Being a bit more serious, an equity portfolio in 2018, whether it's passive or active, is going to contain a substantial slug of exposure to technology companies and banks who are putting a lot of research and business development work into applications of blockchain.

Do you want or need to own specific cryptocurrencies on top of that?
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 13th Oct 18, 8:44 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    I'm not FCA authorised to give advice for your circumstances or those around you. As such I can only offer magic beans on an execution only basis. They are quite rare and valuable but I have unlimited supply for those that want in on this opportunity please PM me.

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    I'll need to understand your charges. You know what they say about how much of an investment can be eaten up by the fee fie fo fum
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    Alexland
    Being a bit more serious
    That only lasted 3mins then...

I'll need to understand your charges. You know what they say about how much of an investment can be eaten up by the fee fie fo fum
    Promise no fees to trade my magic beans unless you want me to store/insure them for you in which case a modest custody fee. For a one off cost I will visit, dig a hole, plant them in your garden and run off laughing.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 13-10-2018 at 9:02 PM.
    • astedman
    • By astedman 13th Oct 18, 9:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    astedman
    Crypto is not an investment, it’s a gamble. Unlike shares, a crypto-currency’s value cannot be attributed to anything but market sentiment, and has no place in a serious portfolio other than a bit of fun.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Oct 18, 10:01 PM
    • 11,797 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Crypto is not an investment, it’s a gamble. Unlike shares, a crypto-currency’s value cannot be attributed to anything but market sentiment, and has no place in a serious portfolio other than a bit of fun.
    Originally posted by astedman
    Every stock market crash and bubble there's ever been has demonstrated that a large part of the value of shares "cannot be attributed to anything but market sentiment".
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Oct 18, 10:34 PM
    • 60,254 Posts
    • 53,587 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Just beginning to think that a small investment in them should perhaps be part of a balanced portfolio. .
    What's the value of your investment portfolio. A small investment in a small portfolio. Isn't worth the bother. Time is better spent focussing on increasing the level of contribution in.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th Oct 18, 11:09 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I think you should read the comments and then draw a reasoned conclusion that the volatility of crypto currencies means that they should not be part of most people's portfolios.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • bd10
    • By bd10 14th Oct 18, 12:02 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    bd10
    How would you value an asset like a crypto currency? What's the intrinsic value? NPV of some cash flows? Cost of production plus some carry/finance? Or are we just talking about a modern day version of tulips? Even if each crypto currency may be finite in its own supply, the problem is an infinite number of finite crypto currencies can be created. So where does this leave one? With 0.0 in the long run. But hey, I might have it all wrong.
    Wouldn't touch this stuff with a barge pole or anything which can be best valued by the greater fool theory.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    Alexland
    Unlike shares, a crypto-currency’s value cannot be attributed to anything but market sentiment, and has no place in a serious portfolio other than a bit of fun.
    Originally posted by astedman
    Buying something worthless then hoping it's market price doesn't crash to zero before I find a greater fool doesn't sound fun.

Regardless of the potential return I would rather hold something I know has value.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,188Posts Today

7,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin