Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 12th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5,215Posts
    • 11,334Thanks
    Pobby
    Dvla
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    Dvla 12th Oct 18 at 8:05 PM
    What is going on? The above has just supplied my details to euro car parks regarding a parking offence. The car stated I do not own and I was not in the said city that the incident took place. Not pleased.
Page 1
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 12th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    Well if you are cast iron sure you have neither owned, kept nor ever used the car in question so you and your address have never been linked to it and you have a cast iron alibi etc for the time in question - you just let them eventually take you to court - whereupon you can have much fun: assuming you have a lot of time to spend wasting as much as possible of their time.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Oct 18, 9:53 PM
    • 16,359 Posts
    • 23,249 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:53 PM
    What is going on? The above has just supplied my details to euro car parks regarding a parking offence. The car stated I do not own and I was not in the said city that the incident took place. Not pleased.
    Originally posted by Pobby
    Driving fines and letters when you donít own the vehicle
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-fines-letters-you-dont-own-the-vehicle
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:25 PM
    if the DVLA have supplied your info to a parking co (which they can do) then your name is on the V5
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 13th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    Originally posted by Pobby
    The same thing happened to my son a while back. He hadn't been anywhere near the place in question - a very long way from where we lived. It took and age to sort out because they didn't believe him. They eventually sent a picture of the car that caused the offence. Different colour car and different make. Someone had reversed something on the number plate. Can't remember if it was the numbers or letters. They eventually dropped the fine and he didn't even get an apology. It took a very long time to get sorted even though it should have been very easy.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 13th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    if the DVLA have supplied your info to a parking co (which they can do) then your name is on the V5
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat

Number plate could have been cloned, not so open and shut.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    Number plate could have been cloned, not so open and shut.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    OK , cloned or not the OP MUST OWN the vehicle , how else could DVLA match a name to a VRN

"What is going on? The above has just supplied my details to euro car parks regarding a parking offence. The car stated I do not own and I was not in the said city that the incident took place. Not pleased."

not interested in location , or what city , the OP has stated "The car stated I do not own "

so why have the DVLA matched the VRN to the owner
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 13th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    Read my post. It does happen.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    • 19,762 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    molerat
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    OK , cloned or not the OP MUST OWN the vehicle , how else could DVLA match a name to a VRN
    Just because DVLA have OP down as the registered keeper does not mean they own or have any knowledge of the vehicle.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Oct 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    i,m out,,,,,,,,,,,
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 13th Oct 18, 7:26 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 6,308 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    i,m out,,,,,,,,,,,

......probably for the best if you believe the DVLA, or any government department for that matter, never get anything wrong.

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 9,605 Thanks
    pogofish
    Now if only MSE had a Parking Tickets Subfourm where this particuar issue could be discussed and explained at length by people who are very well informed abut these matters...?
    • Pobby
    • By Pobby 15th Oct 18, 8:46 PM
    • 5,215 Posts
    • 11,334 Thanks
    Pobby
    As I have already said, I do not own the car. Having spoken to the dvla, I may be the subject of a fraud. Frankly, I am fed up with the number of fraudsters and scammers around. I have responded by letter to the dvla. Wasting time and money.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Oct 18, 9:10 PM
    • 28,234 Posts
    • 11,485 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Don't own it but its registered to you? The logbook (V5C) may have come to your address. What happened to that?

How else would the DVLA know your name and address?

Owned the car previously? Family or friend owns the car?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Oct 18, 9:31 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 5,647 Thanks
    DoaM
    Are you now (or have you been) the registered keeper of the vehicle with the VRN for which ECP sent their invoice?

Forget whether you've been to that location or not, or whether the vehicle make/model is wrong ... does the VRN on the invoice match a vehicle you "own" now (or have previously)?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,115Posts Today

6,829Users online

Martin's Twitter