Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dave2112
    • By Dave2112 5th Nov 07, 8:36 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 34Thanks
    Dave2112
    Is it worth fitting thermal curtain linings?
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:36 PM
    Is it worth fitting thermal curtain linings? 5th Nov 07 at 8:36 PM
    Hi - looking at reducing my gas usage (for eco and monetary reasons) and thoughts turned to thermal curtain linings to fit on the doors/windows. But are they a worthwhile spend? On the doors I can see they'd be worthwhile but I already have double glazing/light weight curtains so will they be money well spent or is there another option? Have got the insulation sorted so am looking at the smaller things now. tks.
Page 1
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 6th Nov 07, 3:55 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 6th Nov 07, 3:55 PM
    • 6th Nov 07, 3:55 PM
    Probably worthwhile if you could seal the edges to the window frame, either magnetically or with that hook and eye stuff, forgot the name.
    The cheapest option is heavy curtains from Freecycle or a boot sale. Dry clean or wash if unsure as to provenance.
    I have net curtains in the reveal, then heavier curtains on the frame and even heavier curtains on a pole stretching well beyond the window frames.
    Last year I made some interior window shutters from Celotex, sort of polystyrene, but was persuaded by someone on this forum that it was a fire risk. Probably so, and extra curtains work just as well.
    • Fizog
    • By Fizog 6th Nov 07, 9:43 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Fizog
    • 6th Nov 07, 9:43 PM
    • 6th Nov 07, 9:43 PM
    I use thermal linings in the winter which I hook inside the curtains. I don't have double glazing so really feel the benefit especially in the north facing rooms and on the doors.
  • two_sheds
    • 20th Nov 07, 5:52 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 5:52 PM
    Thick curtains really stop the draughts coming thru the ill-fitting doors and windows.
    I used a fleece blanket for about 2 from P*undStretcher, tacked onto the back of my curtains
  • EdInvestor
    • 24th Nov 07, 1:34 PM
    • 24th Nov 07, 1:34 PM
    Thermal linings in curtains: the "ecology gold standard" for energy saving.

http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3177592.ece
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,155Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter