Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 12th Oct 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,721Posts
    • 388Thanks
    Chomeur
    Barclays Bank Account Switching
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:53 PM
    Barclays Bank Account Switching 12th Oct 18 at 7:53 PM
    I've opened a new account with Barclays intending to switch my old account to them to get double Blue Rewards for the next year. I understand to get this I have to switch my old account. They tell me I have to go to a branch to do this. Is this correct or is there somewhere online I can do it?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 30,277 Posts
    • 18,180 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    Is this correct...
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    I don't bank with Barclays but it appears to be the case from the info on their website. Looks to me like you could have initiated the switch during the application, but for an existing account up and running it's a branch visit.

Check the info on their site and see if you agree?
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 12th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:32 PM
    Yes I think you're right. What a pain.
    • litepay
    • By litepay 12th Oct 18, 10:06 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:06 PM
    I've opened a new account with Barclays intending to switch my old account to them to get double Blue Rewards for the next year. I understand to get this I have to switch my old account. They tell me I have to go to a branch to do this. Is this correct or is there somewhere online I can do it?
    You cannot do it online or over the phone if you're an existing customer, it needs to be in branch. I have an appointment next week for the same thing.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 12th Oct 18, 10:16 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:16 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:16 PM
    You cannot do it online or over the phone if you're an existing customer, it needs to be in branch. I have an appointment next week for the same thing.
    Originally posted by litepay
    You can't just call in?
    • litepay
    • By litepay 12th Oct 18, 10:20 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:20 PM
    In my area not really, it's quite busy...
    • datz
    • By datz 12th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    datz
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:21 PM
    You can't just call in?
    From my experience, my local branch is always extremely busy. Not sure about yours, but you might want to make an appointment to ensure you don't have a wasted journey. But if you're going to be nearby anyway (and it doesn't take any extra effort), you can always drop in and see if they have any openings due to others not showing to their appointment (but don't be surprised if they turn you away!).
    Last edited by datz; 12-10-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 13th Oct 18, 12:54 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    clivep
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:54 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:54 PM
    Wife & I opened a/cs yesterday. Painless and a/c nos given & internet banking successfully set up at same time. Also as part of process initiated our switches.

At end was given the info that we needed to book appointment in branch to submit ID's within 5 working days to allow switch to continue otherwise it would be cancelled.

So no ID's for a/c opening but needed for switch?

email acknowledgement received for my wife but none for me. Phoned to confirm all OK and book appointments by calling number given that it stated it was open until 6pm. This was prior to 5.45 and the call was answered with the message that it's only open during normal working hours! Alternative number given for 24hr customer services which I tried and seemed to be Indian call centre.

Automated reply asked for membership number which when entered it said not recognised. It then asked for sort code, and when entered it asked for it again. After entering 2nd time it then asked for a/c no. & when entered it also asked for a 2nd time. When entered 2nd time it then said a/c not recognised and I eventually managed to speak to someone.

Wanted to make appointment for Wednesday or Thurday but they only had a couple on Monday and Friday. Chose Monday for my 15 minute one but they needed to make second one for my wife... fortunately the following 15 minutes.

No switch date offered during the online application. Presumably this is sorted during the branch visit.

Not impressed so far.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 13th Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Chomeur
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 1:15 PM
    I called in at 9:30am today and it only took about ten minutes. Might have been a different story on a weekday lunchtime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,970Posts Today

8,530Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin