Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cona_mc10
    • By Cona_mc10 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cona_mc10
    Online Tax Refund
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    Online Tax Refund 12th Oct 18 at 5:29 PM
    Hi, so Iím a bit confused as Iíve never done a Tax refund online as I usually wait for a check to come in the post. Anyway Iíve over paid tax so Iím due a refund (Hurray!) But when I filled out the form on the Gov.com website (Not very big may I add, just asked for bank details) it said I will receive my refund within 5 working days? This seems really fast so Iím just wondering has anyone used this before and was it paid directly into your account within them 5 days or sooner?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:28 PM
    It seems to be standard now for most refunds which don't involve you filling in a Self Assessment return.

Gov.uk mentions it here.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-overpayments-and-underpayments/if-youre-due-a-refund
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    My son used it and got the payment promptly. If you opt for a cheque you are talking several weeks.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 13th Oct 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:44 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:44 PM
    It took three working days to get the money in the bank last week.

That doesn't mean that that's that. HMRC will now check - and hammer me if I've overclaimed. That's how it works nowadays.
    • Cona_mc10
    • By Cona_mc10 13th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cona_mc10
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    Thank you everyone! Hopefully itís as quick and easy as youíre all saying. I only sent off for it on Thursday so fingers crossed it will be in before next Thursday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,245Posts Today

7,996Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin