Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 12th Oct 18, 3:52 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 38,857Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    competition controversy! again.
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:52 PM
    competition controversy! again. 12th Oct 18 at 3:52 PM
    So Thomas cook hosted a twitter chat competition to win 3000 in holiday vouchers. competiton and terms here :

https://twitter.com/ThomasCookUK/status/1045712237812310023?s=19

very clearly states 6pm finish.

They picked a winner who entered 13mins after not during the chat at all.
    They then recinded on that prize after being told they broke the rules.
    They were inundated with messages saying how unfair this is , so they let them have the prize.

They then picked another winner. Problem is they were only given 1000 vouchers and the misdrawn winner was given 3000 . Thread here:

https://twitter.com/ThomasCookUK/status/1050376950496317440?s=19

Personally I feel this is massively unfair, especially on the new winner but also the hundreds who entered fairly!

What's everyone think?

Also, I bet they don't host any competitions for a while now.

Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 286,683 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    I don't see it is a potential loss to anyone except the redraw winner who maybe only getting 1,000 - the other people who entered on time were not drawn as winners anyway so whether the 3K or 1k was given as a redraw prize doesn't matter as they lost.

(having looked further the prize was 1,000 so the Redrawn winner has lost nothing either)

(The only loss is to the promoter who has paid out an additional 1,000)
    Last edited by mjm3346; 12-10-2018 at 6:31 PM.
    Internet goodness 25610
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 12th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 38,857 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    Firstly shouldn't the redrawn official winner get the full prize? Regardless of the promotors earlier mistake?

Secondly if the first draw was done correctly any of the legitimate entrants might have been drawn, surely it's unfair odds on the original draw .

Thirdly Do you think the first winner should have got a prize at all considering they entered wrongly
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 286,683 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    According to the T&Cs 1,000* is the full prize
    Your Chance to Win a Thomas Cook Package Holiday to selected Destinations in Greece worth up to 1000
    The correct "odds" applied to the redraw so the first draw is irrelevant.

That would be up to the company, there is nothing to stop them picking a non-competition post by a random person and simply awarding them a gift (bit like many scam e-mails but for real)

*One of the twitter posts mentions 3,000 but not the T&Cs

The winner can choose to stay in either Corfu, Crete, Kalamata, Kefalonia, Kos, Lesbos, Mykonos, Olympus Riviera, Parga, Rhodes, Santorini, Skiathos, Thassos, Zante. In the event that the holiday chosen by the winner costs more than 1,000, the difference in cost will need to be paid in full by the winner at the time of booking. In the event that the holiday costs less than 1000, there will be no refund due to the winner.
    Internet goodness 25610
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 12th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 21,895 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    Where is the announcement of 3000? Looking at the T&C's it clearly says up to 1000. If they gave 1000 to both then great. Don't know why people are complaining about the first winner, they may not have seen the T&C's or realised the time (i've accidentally entered comps after they've finished). It would be a bit cruel to say "HEY YOU'VE WON!" then say "oh wait sorry no you entered too late"

Realistically, they should have checked the time the first winner entered before saying they'd won.. but then they did another draw for all the people who had entered on time so your chances are exactly the same as they were before?? Couldn't have been more fair than that. If the originally winner entered in time, you wouldn't have had a second chance.

I think the saddest thing is the people who went looking through the first winners posts to check if he entered on time. Then reading some of the comments from users towards the company even after they said "we messed up, we'll pick another winner so you have another chance".. It angers me.

edit: mjm3346 said it better than me
    Last edited by BizKiTRoAcH; 12-10-2018 at 6:43 PM.
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 12th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 38,857 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    so you don't see any injustice in this at all?

Surely if the first draw had drawn the correct winner then they would have the advertised 3000 prize and someone who was chancing it pretty unjustly wouldn't have it.

The terms prize being different to what was advertised is surely an ASA breech at the least!

seriously imagine if all comps opperated like this.
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 12th Oct 18, 6:46 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 1,035,948 Thanks
    grannybiker
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:46 PM
    I don't see it is a potential loss to anyone except the redraw winner who maybe only getting 1,000 - the other people who entered on time were not drawn as winners anyway so whether the 3K or 1k was given as a redraw prize doesn't matter as they lost.

(having looked further the prize was 1,000 so the Redrawn winner has lost nothing either)

(The only loss is to the promoter who has paid out an additional 1,000)
    Originally posted by mjm3346

Fair play to the promoter who paid out extra in the interests of fair play.

Bet a few of those grumbling about broken rules are happily sharing on Facebook !
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 12th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 21,895 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:55 PM

Surely if the first draw had drawn the correct winner then they would have the advertised 3000 prize and someone who was chancing it pretty unjustly wouldn't have it.

The terms prize being different to what was advertised is surely an ASA breech at the least!

Originally posted by bubblebobble23
    Nope. No injustice at all.

It's not 3000. It's 1000. I'm no legal expert but I imagine the T&C's are what is legally binding and they clearly say 1000. Someone just made a mistake in one of the posts saying 3000. The first winner got 1000. So did the second one.

If the T&C's said 3000 and the 2nd winner got 1000 it would probably be an ASA breach.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 286,683 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:02 PM

None whatsoever

The prize clearly stated in the T&Cs is 1,000, as far as I can see only one of the many twitter competition posts from them mentions 3,000 and even that one contains a link to the T&Cs where the correct amount is clearly stated more than once - so if the first entry drawn had been within time the prize would be still be 1,000.

I doubt the ASA would be bothered, certainly not beyond the point of telling them to be more careful in future.

I am imagining it now and what a wonderful world it would be if all comps stuck to their T&Cs as well as picking an extra winner
    Internet goodness 25610
    • Monkey Chinchilla
    • By Monkey Chinchilla 12th Oct 18, 8:16 PM
    • 19,399 Posts
    • 969,559 Thanks
    Monkey Chinchilla
    More to the point, why did nobody post this competition on this forum?
    Love comping, hate trolls.
    • Didoow
    • By Didoow 12th Oct 18, 8:33 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 4,892 Thanks
    Didoow

What's everyone think?

I think TC should have checked thoroughly before announcing a winner.
    I think I may have inadvertently 'entered' some comps after the closing time.
    I think I would have been gutted if it were me.
    I too also thought it was 3k, the only tweet I saw with an amount said that.
    I think good on TC for honouring AND redrawing
    But mostly I think TC should have checked thoroughly before announcing a winner.
    I think they will do in future
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 12th Oct 18, 8:43 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 38,857 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    I agree TC are totally at fault and well done tocthe double winners!
    It definitely was advertised as a 3000 voucher prize but hey if it's different in the terms well who cares what they said!
    I mean giving someone who didn't follow the terms or really participate on the spirit of a chat a bigger prize is just very very lucky for them!
    Bit like winning the lottery but with a ticket for the wrong draw I guess!
    wish I had that luck!

perhaps it shows that these social media competitions need much better ways to draw them properly, must be a way of a computerized draw disregarding entries after a certain time! I mean say number 6 gets drawn out of 10 entries, but number 5 was late and shouldn't be in the draw meaning whoever was 7 should have really won!

On a side note there are loads of comps not getting posted here anymore
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 18, 9:30 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 286,683 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I agree TC are totally at fault and well done tocthe double winners!
    It definitely was advertised as a 3000 voucher prize but hey if it's different in the terms well who cares what they said!
    :
    There was was one tweet out seven for the competition that mentioned 3,000, the T&Cs that tweet linked to (along with all the others) stated quite clearly the prize was 1,000 and anyone entering should have seen that as they were agreeing to them.

27. Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry
    Internet goodness 25610
    • Didoow
    • By Didoow 12th Oct 18, 9:57 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 4,892 Thanks
    Didoow
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I'd just like to point out that none of the other tweets mentioned an amount and I see the T's&C's are at the end of a load of others and entitled "Your Chance to Win a Thomas Cook Package Holiday to selected Destinations in Greece worth up to 1000" (so maybe people thought they hadn't posted yet) so I'm not surprised if lots of people thought it was for 3k. I think I entered quite late so didn't bother to read them first and didn't win so didn't bother to read them afterwards either, this is the first I'd heard of it only being 1000, I am aware that I'm agreeing to them though and it's my fault if I don't read them!
    • The 3rd Zebu
    • By The 3rd Zebu 12th Oct 18, 10:05 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    The 3rd Zebu
    Prizes being awarded to late entrants probably happens more than we will ever know on the more ordinary web entry competitions.

Sometimes they extend the closing dates. Sometimes they draw the winners ahead of the closing date. Sometimes the prizes don't materialise. Sometimes there are no winners at all.

It seems anything goes these days.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Oct 18, 10:10 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 286,683 Thanks
    mjm3346
    To sum up

The prize was as stated in the T&Cs
    A winner was selected as set out in the T&Cs

A separate award was given out which makes no difference to anyone else.
    Internet goodness 25610
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 12th Oct 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10,929 Posts
    • 1,035,948 Thanks
    grannybiker
    Originally posted by Monkey Chinchilla

My thoughts exactly when I saw it, LOL!

Oh and one of life's lies is ticking that "I have read the T&Cs" box
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 13th Oct 18, 1:28 AM
    • 15,616 Posts
    • 932,616 Thanks
    thingamaBob
    Originally posted by Monkey Chinchilla
    My thoughts exactly when I saw it, LOL!
    Originally posted by grannybiker
    This does rather undermine the whole basis that the MSE comps boards exist under.
    If every member who posts comps were to keep them to themselves and not post/share them, then there would not be a comps board. If "there are loads of comps not getting posted here anymore", is this the beginning of the end for MSE comping?
    Bob
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Omar Khayyam
    • dontone
    • By dontone 13th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 14,327 Thanks
    dontone
    The 3000 prize tweet is still up. It's dated 28th September. (It's not hard to find tbh)
    I reckon they messed up a bit by putting the T&C's right at the bottom of the page. They should have been a t the top, then folk could have questioned it by asking 'Is it 3k or 1k?'
    I also found it rather confusing, as the Tweets say 'one entry per person', yet they kept asking lots of questions.
    So, was it one entry per question tweet, or one entry PP for the entire duration?
    And I never saw the first winner either, just the runner up.
    The whole thing looks to be one big mess.
    Be Lucky
    Last edited by dontone; 13-10-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 13th Oct 18, 4:55 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 38,857 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    The irony of the logic that they can advertise the wrong prize amount but only award the legitimate entrant the small prize because the T & Cs say the small amount , but it's also ok for them to include invalid entries in the draw, thus messing up the odds, even though the T & Cs say " Any entries after the closing will not be considered"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter