Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geffers
    • By geffers 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    geffers
    Wills and Executors
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    Wills and Executors 12th Oct 18 at 3:06 PM
    Folks,

Strangely unsure which group to post this in.

I am having difficulty with respect to appointing an executor for my will. I have only one person to whom I wish to leave my possessions (daughter) and don't particularly want to give her this task but no one else immediately springs to mind.

Appreciate I could pay a solicitor but I don't really want to incur unnecessary costs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Geoff
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 12th Oct 18, 4:04 PM
    • 9,813 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    Linton
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:04 PM
    Folks,

Strangely unsure which group to post this in.

I am having difficulty with respect to appointing an executor for my will. I have only one person to whom I wish to leave my possessions (daughter) and don't particularly want to give her this task but no one else immediately springs to mind.

Appreciate I could pay a solicitor but I don't really want to incur unnecessary costs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Geoff
    Originally posted by geffers
    Why would anyone other than close friends/family want to do the job if they have no stake in the process? If you do not want to use friends/family surely it is best to chose a professional. And professional do not come cheap. Or would you trust your daughters inheritance to a non professional who you do not know personally?

The real downside to using a solicitor is that they can be extremely slow.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 6,285 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    It is really not that difficult a task, especially if the executor is the sole beneficiary. Make her your executor, and if nessasary she can high a professional to help if she needs it.

Regardless of who the executor is, make sure you keep a document outlining wher all your money and rpinvestments are kept. Also keep a record of any gifts over your 3000 annual IHT exempt allowance you have made for the previous 7 years.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 12th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    uknick
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:49 PM
    There is a section on wills etc in "Household & Travel" here;

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 77,001 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    Regardless of who the executor is, make sure you keep a document outlining wher all your money and rpinvestments are kept. Also keep a record of any gifts over your 3000 annual IHT exempt allowance you have made for the previous 7 years.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    And how to find your passwords for your on-line life.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Oct 18, 5:55 PM
    • 26,833 Posts
    • 15,991 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:55 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:55 PM
    In these circumstances appoint your daughter.

Make it as easy as possible for her by keeping full and accurate records of your financial transactions.

Write a list (and keep it up to date) of all your assets/liabilities - store in a safe place.

Make a note of any pensions you receive/expect to receive and details of the administrators.

Inform your daughter where you keep your Will, list of assets/other papers/deeds etc.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 77,001 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    Most solicitors will store your signed will for free.

You can also store it with the Probate Service -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-deposit-a-will-with-the-probate-service-a-guide-for-people-who-want-to-deposit-a-will-for-safekeeping-pa7
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

8,935Users online

Martin's Twitter