Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pandaffu
    • By pandaffu 12th Oct 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pandaffu
    Housing benefit deductions non-dependant 18 years old student
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:44 PM
    Housing benefit deductions non-dependant 18 years old student 12th Oct 18 at 12:44 PM
    Are there any deductions for a non-dependant child (STUDENT FULL-TIME) - 18 years old, earning more than 140 pounds weekly?
    What is the maximum amount can a non-dependant STUDENT child earn to ensure my benefits will not be taken or deducted - if there are any?

Kinds Regards
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,595 Posts
    • 7,571 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    there is a section on students here
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants
    • pandaffu
    • By pandaffu 12th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pandaffu
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    I know, I have seen this website and it says that if the non-dependant child is a student it does not affect my benefits right? However, my accountant says that if my child will earn more than 130 pounds weekly it can affect my benefits. Could you please tell me exactly whether it will affect my benefits or not, as I don't know who to belive...

Thanks
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 12th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    bigbill
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    A child benefit child can earn any amount without losing you anything.

A student again is ignored as a non-dependent so again they can earn any amount during term time without losing you anything.

Forgot to add, the solicitor I suspect is using the 139 non-dep deduction amount when they say 130 but regardless it does not apply anyways.
    Last edited by bigbill; 12-10-2018 at 9:43 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Oct 18, 10:32 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:32 PM
    I know, I have seen this website and it says that if the non-dependant child is a student it does not affect my benefits right? However, my accountant says that if my child will earn more than 130 pounds weekly it can affect my benefits. Could you please tell me exactly whether it will affect my benefits or not, as I don't know who to belive...

Thanks
    Originally posted by pandaffu
    The link states:

“A non-dependant deduction doesn't apply to a full-time student during term time or during holidays if they're not working.

A non-dependant deduction does apply if a student works for 16 hours or more a week during the summer holidays. You may need to ask them to contribute towards your housing costs.”

As I read it your son will only affect your benefits if they are working more than 16 hours during the summer holidays.

I would put more faith in Shelter than an accountant to get this right.

However you should note that these rules refer to Housing Benefit. If your housing costs were coming through Universal Credit I think a non- dependant deduction would be made for students https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants
    Last edited by calcotti; 12-10-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Oct 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,609 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    venison
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:59 PM
    it used to be 24 hours a week or more might reduce benefits, but that seems to have changed
    Looking forward to 2019 after a terrible 2018...onwards and upwards
    • pandaffu
    • By pandaffu 13th Oct 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pandaffu
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:22 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:22 AM
    The link says that There will be no contribution expected of non-dependants who are under 21. My son is 18, so does it still count?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 13th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 12,071 Posts
    • 13,909 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    The link says that There will be no contribution expected of non-dependants who are under 21. My son is 18, so does it still count?
    This is true if you are claiming Universal Credit as your housing costs would be part of UC.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-housing-costs-tenants/Housing-costs-contributions
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Oct 18, 10:43 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:43 AM
    There are two sets of rules in the link. One set for Housing Benefit and one for Universal Credit. It is 18 for housing benefit, 21 for universal credit. Which set of rules applies depends on which benefit you are getting. Although I spotted the different treatment of students I overlooked the age difference in my earlier post - apologies for that. It’s quite hard spotting all the changes that have been made to the rules in Universal Credit as it replaces the old benefits!

In your case your son is either exempt under UC by virtue of his age or exempt by virtue of his student status (except for the summer holiday if working 16 hours or more) under Housing Benefit rules.

If you are getting Council Tax Reduction each local authority can set their own rules unless you are over Pension age in which case a national set of rules apply.
    Last edited by calcotti; 13-10-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,746Posts Today

6,433Users online

Martin's Twitter