Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 12th Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    • 88Posts
    • 11Thanks
    ginashamz
    Update on the RX8
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    Update on the RX8 12th Oct 18 at 11:27 AM
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda RX8 PZ couple of months ago for a very cheap price and found the following problems:
    1. did not have PZ Bilstein shocks and Eibach strings but the standard ones
    2. Rust on lower side sills and the underside of the rear boot
    3. A lot of play in the steering wheel

Since, I have had the following work performed:
    1. Purchased a used set of PZ suspension from Ebay and had that fitted for a total price of 400
    2. Got the garage to wire brush the underneath of the car and add a protective layer of coat and went to a body shop to sand down the rust on the side sills, re-putty and paint for the total amount of 500
    3. Replaced the lower universal steering joint (unfortunately main dealer part only!) for a total of 200
    4. Had a full service (oil and filters, differential oil, coolant flush, tranmission oil and compression test) for 280. My compression readings were all in the high 6s.

Oh, and I also got a four wheel alignment done for 50. All in all I got my car for 1000, and paid another 1400 for all the above work, so a total sum of 2400!

The car now drives perfect! Everything works as it should, and it starts every time and pulls well. Bad thing is that I have Runway tyres on the rear (nearly new from last owner) but they actually make the car more fun to drive as the back end slides out more easily

Very happy, I now own a car that's in perfect running order and also appreciating in value
Page 2
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 13th Oct 18, 1:11 PM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 4,763 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    Why do you all take the bait?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 17,582 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    motorguy
    and my chocolate fireguard is good for another winter......

just a picture of the runway tyres and the PZ logo together, im not bothered about the custard.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    Sorry, but on one hand you're saying his biggest bill is down to engine compression on a 1000 RX8 but when i say he's told us compression is good then all of a sudden the car is made up?

So either you're saying the imaginary car must have an imaginary compression problem or the real car must have a compression problem when the O/P has told us it doesnt?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Oct 18, 3:04 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 1,517 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Sorry, but on one hand you're saying his biggest bill is down to engine compression on a 1000 RX8 but when i say he's told us compression is good then all of a sudden the car is made up?

So either you're saying the imaginary car must have an imaginary compression problem or the real car must have a compression problem when the O/P has told us it doesnt?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I think we all know it's another imaginary car.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 13th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    Richard53
    Why do you all take the bait?
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    Bit of sport, I imagine.

Actually, no, some of the answers sound serious.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    tonyh66

Originally posted by motorguy
    I know its an imaginary car, the compression advice is for anyone thinking of buying an RX8 for 1k at this price level an engine rebuild is looming in the imaginary rear view mirror.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 13th Oct 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    treboeth
    Bit of sport, I imagine.

Actually, no, some of the answers sound serious.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    The consensus seems to be DM has bought an RX8

No custard pics yet, but there never are

I bet after posting this DM actually posts up the pics
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 15th Oct 18, 8:54 AM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I bet after posting this DM actually posts up the pics
    Originally posted by treboeth

I'll bet you a Yaris he doesn't
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Oct 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,397 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I'll bet you a Yaris he doesn't
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    If it has working rear brakes, you're up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

7,823Users online

Martin's Twitter