Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 12th Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 12Thanks
    ginashamz
    Update on the RX8
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    Update on the RX8 12th Oct 18 at 11:27 AM
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda RX8 PZ couple of months ago for a very cheap price and found the following problems:
    1. did not have PZ Bilstein shocks and Eibach strings but the standard ones
    2. Rust on lower side sills and the underside of the rear boot
    3. A lot of play in the steering wheel

Since, I have had the following work performed:
    1. Purchased a used set of PZ suspension from Ebay and had that fitted for a total price of 400
    2. Got the garage to wire brush the underneath of the car and add a protective layer of coat and went to a body shop to sand down the rust on the side sills, re-putty and paint for the total amount of 500
    3. Replaced the lower universal steering joint (unfortunately main dealer part only!) for a total of 200
    4. Had a full service (oil and filters, differential oil, coolant flush, tranmission oil and compression test) for 280. My compression readings were all in the high 6s.

Oh, and I also got a four wheel alignment done for 50. All in all I got my car for 1000, and paid another 1400 for all the above work, so a total sum of 2400!

The car now drives perfect! Everything works as it should, and it starts every time and pulls well. Bad thing is that I have Runway tyres on the rear (nearly new from last owner) but they actually make the car more fun to drive as the back end slides out more easily

Very happy, I now own a car that's in perfect running order and also appreciating in value
Page 1
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 12th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ginashamz
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    I forgot to say that the PZ suspension made a massive difference in the car ride feel and handling, all for the better. Less body roll and felt more composed at higher speeds.

My next mod is to add front and rear Racing Beat anti-roll bars. This will apparently make the car have zero body roll when cornering. That 9k RPM is intoxicating, but at lower revs (less than 5k RPM) it drives like a standard car.
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 12th Oct 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:49 AM
    Why not use one of your other threads on this car?

Spammy
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 8,588 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    So is it driveable now? Are you going to tell your insurer about the modifications?
    I'd put some good tyres on it so you can get round corners properly - I wouldn't be going near "higher speeds" on crap tyres.

I'm glad it's mostly sorted now, too.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    Can you beat a Polo (or whatever it was) away from the lights now?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    • 12,146 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    C'mon then, let's see the pics?
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 12th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    C'mon then, let's see the pics?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    We've not had any pics for the last 4yrs - no reason to start now
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 12:52 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:52 PM
    Maybe he still hasn't bought that tin of custard yet?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 2,213 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    Are you going to tell your insurer about the modifications?
    Originally posted by Herzlos

What 'modifications'?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 18, 1:26 PM
    • 12,146 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    neilmcl
    What 'modifications'?
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    The upgraded shocks for one.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8,588 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    Herzlos

They've been put back to stock, so that's OK. I meant the roll-bars.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    • 17,976 Posts
    • 10,998 Thanks
    motorguy
    He put PZ shocks back in to a PZ

Hows that an upgrade?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 1:34 PM
    • 17,976 Posts
    • 10,998 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda RX8 PZ couple of months ago for a very cheap price and found the following problems:

1. Purchased a used set of PZ suspension from Ebay and had that fitted for a total price of 400
    2. Got the garage to wire brush the underneath of the car and add a protective layer of coat and went to a body shop to sand down the rust on the side sills, re-putty and paint for the total amount of 500
    3. Replaced the lower universal steering joint (unfortunately main dealer part only!) for a total of 200
    4. Had a full service (oil and filters, differential oil, coolant flush, tranmission oil and compression test) for 280. My compression readings were all in the high 6s.

Oh, and I also got a four wheel alignment done for 50. All in all I got my car for 1000, and paid another 1400 for all the above work, so a total sum of 2400!

The car now drives perfect! Everything works as it should, and it starts every time and pulls well. Bad thing is that I have Runway tyres on the rear (nearly new from last owner) but they actually make the car more fun to drive as the back end slides out more easily

Very happy, I now own a car that's in perfect running order and also appreciating in value
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    All sounds good.

Watch those outer sills though - the only way to get rid of rot is to cut it out and replace it with new metal. Fillers will bubble through again at some point.

Yes, you've now a car that should retain its value at very least and hopefully appreciate
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 18, 5:13 PM
    • 12,146 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    neilmcl
    He put PZ shocks back in to a PZ

Hows that an upgrade?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    When he mentioned replacing the "standard ones" I assumed he upgraded the originals.

Although, all is moot given that we can't trust a word he (and all his other current AEs) post.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Oct 18, 5:23 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Hi all,

Originally posted by ginashamz
    Happy enough to race my Bugatti Veyron?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 28,164 Posts
    • 11,449 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Happy enough to race my Bugatti Veyron?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Wont stand a chance against my Supersport (the one with the Diesel conversion and 16 turbo's).

So much torque.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 12th Oct 18, 5:57 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    James2k
    If we don't get pictures, i'm thinking legit mental issues.

@ op

if you so happy then why not post pictures? Also my jeep is about as fast as your rx8 is in a straight line, and its 2 tons o fun. Ill leave the s5 at home.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    tonyh66
    If you paid 1000 for an RX8 then I would say the engine compression is going to be your biggest bill.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 12:18 PM
    • 17,976 Posts
    • 10,998 Thanks
    motorguy
    If you paid 1000 for an RX8 then I would say the engine compression is going to be your biggest bill.
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    And hes told us compression is good... ?
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    tonyh66
    And hes told us compression is good... ?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    and my chocolate fireguard is good for another winter......

just a picture of the runway tyres and the PZ logo together, im not bothered about the custard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,185Posts Today

8,608Users online

Martin's Twitter