Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jlfrs01
    • By jlfrs01 12th Oct 18, 7:09 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jlfrs01
    BMW servicing prices
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:09 AM
    BMW servicing prices 12th Oct 18 at 7:09 AM
    Hi all,

This is something of a heads-up for any members who own a BMW (as I do) and use BMW dealerships for servicing. BMW have a number of service packs customers can buy at a standard price. You pay upfront or you pay monthly and you can choose any dealership you like to carry the work out. BMW also advertises a menu of maintenance products for customers who don't take the service packs. Again, it's a case of choosing your preferred dealer. However, despite these being standard products, the price for the same product varies from dealer to dealer. I found a 12% difference between services at my 2 local dealerships. I asked BMW UK and the dealerships to provide an explanation because customers shouldn't have to shop around to avoid being ripped off. No response. So folks, the message is to either do your homework before ordering a service or if you have the choice, go to an independent garage.
    Last edited by jlfrs01; 12-10-2018 at 7:11 AM.
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Oct 18, 7:32 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:32 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:32 AM
    . I asked BMW UK and the dealerships to provide an explanation because customers shouldn't have to shop around to avoid being ripped off. No response.
    Originally posted by jlfrs01
    The explanation lies in the Competition Act 1998, which makes it a crime for BMW and its dealers to fix prices.
    • jlfrs01
    • By jlfrs01 12th Oct 18, 7:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jlfrs01
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:50 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:50 AM
    The explanation lies in the Competition Act 1998, which makes it a crime for BMW and its dealers to fix prices.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    If that were so, the Service Packs would differ in price but they don't. Pricing is uniform across all dealerships.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Oct 18, 7:58 AM
    • 7,773 Posts
    • 6,331 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:58 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:58 AM
    All BMW dealers are are companies who sell BMWs, just as Asda and Tesco both sell Mars bars. These companies are free to charge whatever for a service.

The problem is because car dealerships are franchises you don't realise that the companies running them are different.

When I had a Mercedes I could stay local, but all my local franchises have the same pricing as its the same franchisee. However neighbouring counties have different franchisees and all three charged different prices.

A better example is probably Macdonalds where different outlets charge different prices as it depends on the franchisee.

Servicing packs are different. They are an offer from BMW UK and not the dealership franchise.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 12th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    If that were so, the Service Packs would differ in price but they don't. Pricing is uniform across all dealerships.
    ???

I thought you said it was unfair because the prices were different? Now you say they are all the same?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Oct 18, 9:47 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:47 AM

daveyjp has pointed out that service packs are sold by BMW UK, rather than the dealerships.

Even if that were not the case, there is nothing in law to prevent BMW publishing "recommended" prices, as indeed they do for their cars.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    • 12,206 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:57 AM
    Wow, different dealerships charging different prices for servicing, quelle surprise
    • fred990
    • By fred990 12th Oct 18, 11:26 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    fred990
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:26 PM
    Not wanting to derail the thread but does anyone know of a BMW parts supplier at trade/diy prices?
    Failing that a febi/bosch/meyle type equivalent? Local main dealer has a near new 535d estate I quite fancy, the obd diagnostics is doable, the parts from them is a rip-off!
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 13th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    Not wanting to derail the thread but does anyone know of a BMW parts supplier at trade/diy prices?
    Failing that a febi/bosch/meyle type equivalent? Local main dealer has a near new 535d estate I quite fancy, the obd diagnostics is doable, the parts from them is a rip-off!
    Originally posted by fred990
    For OEM quality DIY service parts - filters etc. such as Mahle, Europarts are hard to beat. Very quick and free delivery.

Not to be confused with EuroCarParts.

But for genuine BMW parts with 10% to 20% off then you really need to join a free on-line BMW Forum and get access to a BMW Dealership site-supporter/sponsor's discount.

Free postage too.

Have a look at this one for example:

https://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php

Load of info and assistance available from the friendly forum members - not all of whom run the very latest super expensive models - as on some other forums.
    • fred990
    • By fred990 13th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    fred990
    Thanks for the info that'll give me something to look at.
    10-20% off will be good.
    Definitely agree about eurocarparts. Expensive, even for the junk stuff....!
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th Oct 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Jonesya
    Few places to try:
    https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/
    https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/

Strangely enough, Amazon UK now stock quite a range of car parts if you go diving down through the website, even have a vehicle make/model search facility to find the right parts.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 18,001 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hi all,

This is something of a heads-up for any members who own a BMW (as I do) and use BMW dealerships for servicing. BMW have a number of service packs customers can buy at a standard price. You pay upfront or you pay monthly and you can choose any dealership you like to carry the work out. BMW also advertises a menu of maintenance products for customers who don't take the service packs. Again, it's a case of choosing your preferred dealer. However, despite these being standard products, the price for the same product varies from dealer to dealer. I found a 12% difference between services at my 2 local dealerships. I asked BMW UK and the dealerships to provide an explanation because customers shouldn't have to shop around to avoid being ripped off. No response. So folks, the message is to either do your homework before ordering a service or if you have the choice, go to an independent garage.
    You should contact the daily mail with this. Its the sort of thing they like to get outraged about too. They'll come round and take a picture of you beside your BMW with a Sadface.

As has been said, simple explanation.

* Servicing packs are bought via the dealer from BMW UK.
    * Servicing at local dealers varies because they are franchises and can set their own prices.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • fred990
    • By fred990 13th Oct 18, 10:54 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    fred990
    Jonesya,
    Great, thanks. Good point about Amazon, never thought of that.
    I guess the best way would be to find out who makes the parts before they go into a bmw cardboard box?
    Will look into the links provided, cheers.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 13th Oct 18, 1:11 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 3,209 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I guess the best way would be to find out who makes the parts before they go into a bmw cardboard box?
    The filters are made by Mahle and have both Mahle and BMW logos and part numbers on them.

For example the air filter for my car BMW Part Nr. 13718518111 / Mahle part Nr. LX2796/1 costs 61.62 from a BMW dealer.

I buy them from EuroParts (as per my previous post) at 24.67 - identical but without the BMW logo.

You pay your money and take your choice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

2,191Users online

Martin's Twitter