Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Oct 18, 2:39 AM
    • 1,545Posts
    • 21,650Thanks
    dumpling
    Old Style Daily Friday 12th October
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:39 AM
    Old Style Daily Friday 12th October 12th Oct 18 at 2:39 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Page 2
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 119,955 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Lots of healing vibes for all the poorly loved ones - gosh, there seem to be so very many just now! Mehefin special GWS wishes for Scoobymare and the poorly Lab.

MM how utterly ridiculous that they wanted to send your mum home like that. It seems common sense just doesn't get applied in a lot of cases.

When Mr Wolf was in a few years back, first off they wouldn't let him out til he'd wee'd three times (!) Then they moved the goal post and said he couldn't leave til he'd poo'd (sorry if TMI). Then they didn't want him going home with just a disabled person (me) to look after him.... at that point the Hero of the Day, a Junior Doctor stepped in and signed him out; and the one and only nurse who seemed to have a bit of empathy about her whisked him out in a wheelchair to where I was waiting with the car, before they could change their minds!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Oct 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 24,691 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Taff I don't usually post on here but I noticed your comment about a blocked loo. If the blockage is near the loo, eg if it's resulting from something down it rather than a problem further down the pipe, you can often unblock it with a mop. Either fasten a plastic bag VERY securely round the mop (you don't want a plastic bag down there too!) or if it's a disposable mop head just consider it a sacrifice. Use it as you would a sink plunger - it has worked for me on more than one occasion. Migh save you calling a plumber.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 12th Oct 18, 1:09 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Wow - having read all the posts so far, there's no chance of replying to everybody individually for fear of leaving somebody out .

So many of you have got your own health issues, as well as poorly and unwell parents/relatives - my prayers go out for you and ((((HEALING HUGS)))) all round. Well done to maddiemay's DB for standing his ground for his DM .

Thinking about everybody with sick animals too - they're often even more of a worry for us as they can't actually TELL us what bit hurts ................... we just get the miserable expression/soulful eyes/yelps/not eating - gentle strokes/cuddles all round for them.

Family responsibilities where children/grandchildren/parents are concerned are high on the list as well, right now. Finding time to balance and prioritise everybody else's 'needs' - as opposed to 'wants' - can be so hard .................... make sure that you all find some 'me-time' in there somewhere ((((HUGS)))). None of us are of any use to other people when we neglect our own health/general well-being .

Those with career moves/issues, good luck to you all - those days are past for me, but I appreciate the worries and demands that they make on us. Also thinking about those with children/grandchildren with Education/Work progress to be sorted out - makes us worry for their futures, which probably won't be as certain as what we've all experienced in our own lives - how things change! Gone are the days when you could hand in your notice on a Monday and have a new job by Friday - which is what I did on a few occasions .

For all who are experiencing Storm Callum - keep your heads down and stay safe .................. I'm sure that most things can wait for a couple of days. I can just hear the winds getting up a bit outside my widow right now .................... OH is going to do a 'quick shifty' to the local shops for teabags (for himself, as I don't drink tea) / sugar (also for himself, I don't take any) / potatoes (evening meal) / coffee whitener (helps to eek the milk out when we run low ). Thinking especially of Gers in the Scottish Highlands - we holidayed in Arrochar one year, and can appreciate the remoteness of Glen Croe .

I've had the 'all-clear' regarding the wound from my operation - dressing has finally gone after 16weeks! Still need to be careful in the shower (put a dressing on to keep it dry) and need to go back to Consultant in 6wks - but I now feel confident in returning to my voluntary job (wish that smiley could be waving a walking stick in one hand) !

Today is my 'Lazy Day' so I'm still sitting here in nightie/dressing gown - may celebrate with a long-awaited shower when I've had my lunch !

Enjoy your day, Oldstylers - Ollie xxx
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Oct 18, 2:05 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 8,961 Thanks
    -taff
    Taff I don't usually post on here but I noticed your comment about a blocked loo.....Use it as you would a sink plunger - it has worked for me on more than one occasion. Migh save you calling a plumber.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle

Thanks Polly, I gave it a go, no joy...Think I'm going to have to get OH to lift the manhole cover and see what's happening in there. I sense a purchase of drain rods in my future
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Oct 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 14,599 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Very quick, late post from me.

Sending copious (((HUGS))) & good wishes to everyone - especially the TAs & Holly.

Quite windy here but still dry. Have rearranged the contents of my 2 freezers & updated my lists of contents Am about to do some knitting & watch Russell Crowe as Robin Hood

DSis is out & DH is in the garage making a small garden table which will replace the expensive one which will be cleaned, oiled & put away for the winter.

Had hm vegetable soup for lunch with hm focaccia croutons - a tad too spicy for me but that was sorted with a dollop of soured cream it was tasty though - just threw things into a saucepan, cooked & then zizzed Two large portions put in freezer as well.

Keep safe & warm

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 16,488 Posts
    • 141,066 Thanks
    JackieO
    -taff when I was having chemo via a line in my chest a few years ago I actually found it Ok .But as all the veins in my arms had collapsed and were useless it was a case of necessity .It did feel odd having this line on my left hand chest and I thought it would be catching on things but it seemed to be OK and a lot easier for them to administer the 6 chemo injections.

My oncology lady bless her recommended chocolate and lucozade for after the injections as it will stop the horrible metal taste you get at the back of your throat, had no problem in chomping on some chocolate at all, and suffered the lucozade as I am not much of a fizzy drinker unless its tonic with a largish gin added

I wish you well as chemo is not pleasant and having to eat beige food whilst on it was even worse for me as I love lots of flavour and spicy stuff , but that made me quite poorly I ended up having those protein drinks to live on for about 6 months until the treatment was finished.

I did enjoy quite a lot of McDonald's strawberry milkshakes though which helped a bit.

The weather haer has been pretty good this morning and has only just started to turn dark and damp.

DGS Ben came this morning and did some painting at the front of my house for me bless him He has got a trial day at a school in Rochester next Monday as a temporary TA, not brilliant but it will keep him occupied.

DGS Jack is due home tonight for the weekend which is brilliant and I am looking forward to seeing him.

My eldest DD and her OH are travelling up to Chester today to visit friends for the weekend and I think they are driving into the storm I have texted her a few times but she's still not replied as yet.

Tomorrow morning I am at Rochester Cathedral at The Big Knit for a baby loss awareness counselling charity that I knit for, so I am looking forward to that,then in the evening my quiz team and I are at another charity quiz night for the local round table in aid of a local dementia charity so it's going to be a busy weekend as on Sunday we are all off to DGS Katie's house for Sunday Lunch and lots of cuddles with DGGD Erin on the menu

I made several dozen cheese and onion sausage roll type things for the quiz tomorrow night as we have two veggies in the team, also made some mince pies as Christmas isn't that far away either

Much love to all who are having a tough time with parents/illness etc and fingers crossed Holly gets her meds leveled out

Take care everyone and have a good weekend

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £11.48
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Oct 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11,047 Posts
    • 62,516 Thanks
    elona
    Anyone with a loo problem - I found pouring a lot of liquid dish liquid down there and then several basins of hot water left for a half hour then flushed and then repeated several times worked a treat! It is also a lot less embarrassing than having a van outside advertising what it does!!!!!!!
    Having had to call an emergency plumber when family were due to visit and being mortified things would not be sorted in time - I am so glad to have found something that works .
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,388Posts Today

7,107Users online

Martin's Twitter