Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 12:51 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 22Thanks
    ZZaffy
    ring fenced farm
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:51 AM
    ring fenced farm 12th Oct 18 at 12:51 AM
    What does ring fenced farm, land, pasture mean?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 18, 12:53 AM
    • 46,172 Posts
    • 55,891 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:53 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:53 AM
    Depends on the context!

Please expand your question.

(googled? eg here )
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    • 26,862 Posts
    • 96,601 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    It simply means there's a fence around the perimeter of the farm's land which ought to be stock proof. It doesn't mean that it is though!

Estate agents use the term. They didn't use it on my property because there was no fence there, so I couldn't have moved here with animals like sheep in tow.

I don't think Googling worked too well for GM this time!
    "We won't get fooled again...."
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 10:42 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ZZaffy
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:42 AM
    ring fenced farm
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:42 AM
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced. I figured, it was a literal term, as you say, but when I searched online, websites kept coming up with banking references and I wondered if it were some sort of agricultural allowance/policy.
    I often get confused these days. It all started with Blackberry, when it stopped being fruit and became a computer. Seldom are words nowadays what they once were.
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ZZaffy
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    ring fenced farm land
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    G_M.
    As seen on land or farms for sale. Details sometimes say ring fenced.
    Last edited by ZZaffy; 12-10-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    • 26,862 Posts
    • 96,601 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    Thanks Dave. I am looking for land to put horses on and saw on several occasions the term ring fenced .
    Originally posted by ZZaffy
    The only thing I can think to add is that fences for sheep may need some adaptation for horses; the typical two strands of barbed wire being undesirable.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 18, 11:15 AM
    • 46,172 Posts
    • 55,891 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:15 AM
    well I didn't spend more than 10 seconds on google as it seemed like something the OP could do himself.......!!!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    Ring-fenced could simply mean that the land is solely allocated for that purpose, rather than having a physical meaning?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 1:50 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ZZaffy
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:50 PM
    ring fenced
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:50 PM
    Yes, G_M thank you. It did not take me long to find ring fenced too but internet came up with two types of ring fencing. That was my confusion. Ring fencing as in literally a fence. But there were also references to ring fencing in banking. Farmland language is new to me and I am trying to get my head around, development uplift clauses, sporting rights, mineral rights, basic payment schemes, stewardship scheme etc. Just wondered if the referred ring fence was financial or a fence. I am sorry if my post annoyed you.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    • 4,333 Posts
    • 9,118 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Ah, G_M is one of our most useful contributors, just sometimes nursey misses out his gin or tablets, or she's wearing stockings, and then he gets a bit... playful. Give him the Saga magazine and turn on Countdown (LOUDLY) and he will be back this evening to his normal self.

I have a "hobby" farm. I have no better guess than any of the above. It could mean the physical fence, it could means the land use is fixed and unchangeable, or it could be some abstract, obtuse definition we haven't thought of ...

Where are we talking of; might be a more local term!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Oct 18, 2:22 PM
    • 11,256 Posts
    • 9,627 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    DoaM has probably given the correct answer in this case.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 26,862 Posts
    • 96,601 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I rest my case....(a minute on Google)

GENERAL
    "The property extends to 103.33 acres (41.82 hectares) or thereabouts in total and includes a range of farm buildings with planning permission for a traditional barn to be converted into a residential dwelling, together with 102.74 acres (41.58 hectares) of pasture land, all within a ring fence."

https://www.bletsoes.co.uk/property-full-details?profileID=100064001948
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Oct 18, 2:34 PM
    • 11,256 Posts
    • 9,627 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Typically English to have 2 or 3 meanings for the same phrase!
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 2:51 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ZZaffy
    Thanks everyone. This post is now ringfenced unless someone has left the gate open.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 18, 4:22 PM
    • 46,172 Posts
    • 55,891 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes, G_M thank you. It did not take me long to find ring fenced too but internet came up with two types of ring fencing. That was my confusion. Ring fencing as in literally a fence. But there were also references to ring fencing in banking. Farmland language is new to me and I am trying to get my head around, development uplift clauses, sporting rights, mineral rights, basic payment schemes, stewardship scheme etc. Just wondered if the referred ring fence was financial or a fence. I am sorry if my post annoyed you.
    and it was for thatreason that I sugested you provide the context for your question!

For all we knew (at first) you might have been an investor looking for EC funding (in the final few months) ring-fenced for farming, or something else entirely!

Ok - DaftyDuck, I'll take my tablets now as it's time for nursey to take off her stockings and give me my... ahem.... cake.
    • ZZaffy
    • By ZZaffy 12th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ZZaffy
    And I did provide the context of my question G_M. In my 2nd post. I have now padlocked the gate.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 18, 5:40 PM
    • 46,172 Posts
    • 55,891 Thanks
    G_M
    And I did provide the context of my question G_M. In my 2nd post. I have now padlocked the gate.
    Which was after I had asked for more context!

Forget the padlock - I'm a master locksmith......
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 10,362 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    It all started with Blackberry, when it stopped being fruit and became a computer.
    Tangerine, 1979; 20 years before RIM launched a BlackBerry
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,480Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin