Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mysterion18
    [AMAZON] Faulty product outside warranty
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    [AMAZON] Faulty product outside warranty 11th Oct 18 at 11:07 PM
    Hi, in November 2014 I purchased a dash camera from Amazon. For the first several months this was fine but then it started developing a fault which affected the battery resetting to default and occasionally memory card errors.

By June 2015 I contacted Amazon as I was still within 12 months and they agreed to replace the dash camera. Perfectly happy with the outcome.

However, 3 years after getting the replacement unit a reoccurance has happened, exactly the same issue. The complicated part here is knowing that I am outside of warranty which Amazon covered for two years apparently.

I contacted Amazon and inevitably they passed me on to Transcend (The manufacturer) which I was aware was the likely route to take. They have gone through some diagnostics via email (Such as firmware/software updates - Which were needed). It took me about a week to conclusively test the changes but have found that the issues still remain.

Transcend also made it a point to note that I was one again outside of their warranty period. I contacted Amazon with an update but they have refused to take any further responsibility on the matter, which I am sure if the wrong call to have been made (I will be talking to them during the day tomorrow).

As this was before September 2015, I would still be covered under the Sales of Goods Act which mentions any faults if inherent may be covered for 6 years, and it would be the retailers responsibility to help with this.

I am going to try and push for a replacement as this is a reoccuring fault, even if it means "upgrading" the device to a better one. Would this be something I have a realistic chance of happening?
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 11th Oct 18, 11:25 PM
    • 8,178 Posts
    • 7,132 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:25 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:25 PM
    You have no chance. You have a got to get an independent expert to confirm the fault is inherent at time of purchase.

Not only will you never find someone who could diagnose this in a device such as a dash cam, Amazon would still tell you to do one.

Even if by some miracle they did agree they could reduce any refund for the 4 years use you have had from it. The chances of a replacement are slim at best.

Time to call it a day on this one.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Oct 18, 10:26 AM
    • 28,188 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:26 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:26 AM
    Internal battery weak? Replace the battery.

Or is it the memory card at fault? They do not last forever.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9,567 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    Internal batteries don't last forever either
    • Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 12th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mysterion18
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    The memory card itself was recently replaced as an upgrade in storage size but yes the memory card errors were occasional whereas the battery resetting is almost a daily issue so I expect the internals are defective.

I received a response from Transcend this morning saying there is nothing further they could offer, as it was outside of warranty the best they could have done is repair the unit - But even this was ruled out after investigation because the camera has since discontinued.

I pursued Amazon again with this update of information hoping to get something out of it but still they were unwilling. I even tried the route of a partial refund which would have been around 30.00 for the amount of months that I had the unit for but again no dice.

They instead offered me a 10.00 credit, I pushed for 20.00 but didn't get anywhere with that. So I guess that is that! I don't know how easy it would be to replace a battery, I don't know what's on the other side of the casing before it's cracked open.

Many thanks!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 12th Oct 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:09 PM

I pursued Amazon again with this update of information hoping to get something out of it but still they were unwilling.

They instead offered me a 10.00 credit

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by Mysterion18
    You seem to have contradicted yourself.
    • Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 12th Oct 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mysterion18
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:00 PM
    I did? Not that I can see..?

By unwilling for reference, I mean't in terms of resolution to the fault situation for the dashcam. The 10.00 was merely a gesture of goodwill for bringing the fault to their attention and being a long time customer of Amazon.

But I can see why you may think that,
    Last edited by Mysterion18; 12-10-2018 at 5:04 PM.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 12th Oct 18, 7:25 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:25 PM
    How much effort is the extra 10 worth?

Some battles are not worth it.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 5,644 Posts
    • 6,320 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    A 4 year old Taiwanese dash cam. How much was it?
    any faults if inherent may be covered for 6 years, and it would be the retailers responsibility to help with this.
    Don't know how you'd prove the fault was inherent as it's worked for 4 years.
    The 6 year thing you've quoted isn't some kind of warranty, but it does allow 6 years to pursue them in court.
    It'd depend how long the judge thinks a cheap dash cam should last, and you've had 4 years use. Doubt there's any value left in it.

• Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 13th Oct 18, 1:34 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Korkyb
    Take the "go away" 10. (You are lucky to get that!).

Life is too short.
    • Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 13th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mysterion18
    Hi. Update to this - After yesterday I had emailed the managing director at Amazon and his team have just replied to me and that have agreed to issue me a FULL refund.

Far more than the expected outcome
    I'm more than happy
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Oct 18, 8:55 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Hi. Update to this - After yesterday I had emailed the managing director at Amazon and his team have just replied to me and that have agreed to issue me a FULL refund.

Far more than the expected outcome
    I'm more than happy
    Originally posted by Mysterion18
    Did you not get a hamper? A free upgrade and a voucher? Free lifetime prime membership?

I assume he at least gave you a special medal...
    • Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 13th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mysterion18
    No I didn't.

Why, do you think I should push for more?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Oct 18, 7:56 AM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 8,823 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Nothing for the stress, inconvenience, sleepless nights, worry.....?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Oct 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5,644 Posts
    • 6,320 Thanks
    societys child
    A full refund after four years, of course they did.

Who'd expect anything less . .

• Mysterion18
    • By Mysterion18 14th Oct 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mysterion18
    I can't seem to upload images just yet.

imgur.com/a/40ZP6F9

I don't know, you come to a place looking for advice and get dismissed every step of the way even while you do nothing wrong. Users taking shots and even when you get a result the sarcasm and condescending attitute continues.

Lovely.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    DoaM
    https://imgur.com/a/40ZP6F9

54.99 refund being processed - apparently.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

3,927Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin