Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    • 150Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Are leather seats overrated?
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    Are leather seats overrated? 11th Oct 18 at 11:07 PM
    I don't drive anything fancy and probably never will. My car has your standard cushion material seats and aside from the odd water stain here or there, nothing is really wrong. The car is 5 years old.

When going into my dad's car and his leather seats, the first thing you notice is just how damn cold the thing is when the weather is low. Also, it can get ridiculously hot in warm weather. I remember us driving for less than and my whole back was sweaty. It also makes me feel much warmer than I would be in another car.

I also think after a short amount of time the leather begins to sag and look noticeably warn. I would prefer having your standard seats compared instead of leather.
Page 3
    • loskie
    • By loskie 12th Oct 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    loskie
    only if you are a cow, veggie or vegan
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 10:38 PM
    • 18,008 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    motorguy
    I much prefer cloth seats for many reasons but do remember the time I had one particular Lotus with grey leather seats.

On a hot day, I got stuck in traffic wearing a black top with the shop name “morgan” printed all over it in white rubbery stuff, as was the fashion at the time.

By the time I got home, the back of my top was now all black and my car seat had “nagrom” printed all over it.
    Wouldn’t have happened with cloth ....
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    True, but it wouldnt have happened with air con either.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Oct 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Richard53
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse.
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    Not true.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Oct 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    Arklight
    I actually quite like fake leather car seats. It’s a nice man made material in its own right. There’s actually no need to call it leather.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Oct 18, 11:18 PM
    • 15,314 Posts
    • 21,185 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    My car has leather seats with suede (or fake suede) inserts that grip bums, bags or anything else placed on them. My wife's car has shiny leather seats. Anything put on them usually end up on the floor within a few yards of setting off.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • loskie
    • By loskie 13th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    loskie
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better

Idiot they are not skinned alive.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Oct 18, 10:55 AM
    • 18,008 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    motorguy
    Idiot they are not skinned alive.
    Originally posted by loskie
    Oh dont be letting facts getting in the way of someones outrage.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Oct 18, 10:40 PM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    My first car, a G reg mazda 626 had suede or velour seats, so old that I dread to think what they had absorbed over the years, were still smooth to touch but probably full of crud
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Oct 18, 12:30 PM
    • 18,008 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    motorguy
    My first car, a G reg mazda 626 had suede or velour seats, so old that I dread to think what they had absorbed over the years, were still smooth to touch but probably full of crud
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I have to say when buying a used car i'm not adverse to getting it left in for a full valet for the above mentioned reasons.

I've watched as the guys do it and its frankly disturbing the amount of dirt comes out.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 14th Oct 18, 9:56 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    Originally posted by macman
    My grandad drove an ancient Austin Maxi with vinyl seats. It felt like you left bits of skin on them if you had shorts on and it was a hot day.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I see in the paper today that really posh people prefer wool on the passenger seats & leave leather for the chauffeur.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 15th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    Originally posted by macman
    You have to remember back then seatbelts were something of a novelty rather than a genuine requirement so your skin sticking to the seats was an important safety feature
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Oct 18, 12:35 PM
    • 19,666 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 15th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I have many fond memories as a child with 5 or more of us crammed in the back of a parent's car with no seatbelts in use. Thankfully vinyl seats kept us firmly seared in place.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Oct 18, 12:59 PM
    • 19,666 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Ah, the back seat is a different question. It's only 32 years since they were compulsory.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th Oct 18, 2:06 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Stop it AdrianC, you're making me feel old.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    • 18,008 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    motorguy
    Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
    Last edited by motorguy; 15-10-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 19,666 Posts
    • 18,230 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.

But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Oct 18, 5:03 PM
    • 9,722 Posts
    • 14,953 Thanks
    worried jim
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better
    Are you okay hun?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 18,008 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    motorguy
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.

But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)
    They were a novelty. I can remember people not using them but them being fitted to cars. I know a lot of people who didnt wear them until they had to.

They were there but people didnt bother using them. That seems quite alien an idea now but it was common at the time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,210Posts Today

5,071Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin