Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 63Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Are leather seats overrated?
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:07 PM
    Are leather seats overrated? 11th Oct 18 at 11:07 PM
    I don't drive anything fancy and probably never will. My car has your standard cushion material seats and aside from the odd water stain here or there, nothing is really wrong. The car is 5 years old.

When going into my dad's car and his leather seats, the first thing you notice is just how damn cold the thing is when the weather is low. Also, it can get ridiculously hot in warm weather. I remember us driving for less than and my whole back was sweaty. It also makes me feel much warmer than I would be in another car.

I also think after a short amount of time the leather begins to sag and look noticeably warn. I would prefer having your standard seats compared instead of leather.
Page 2
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Oct 18, 4:07 PM
    • 42,725 Posts
    • 17,990 Thanks
    macman
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 18,748 Posts
    • 17,113 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Vinyl's even worse with an open roof. My first car was a 2cv with black "targa" textured seats. Park that in the sun with the roof off, then get in wearing shorts...
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Oct 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    Car 54
    Well that really makes sense. It's a seat. why does it matter what the badge on your box is?
    Originally posted by fred246

Well, it does when you come to sell it. Jaguar/Merc/etc. buyers expect leather, and cloth cars suffer greather depreciation.

On the other hand, leather in a Fiesta doesn't add to the value. It's seen as polishing a t**d.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Leather quality from different manufacturers can vary hugely. Not to mention the seat support, bolsters and so forth. The sports seats in my RX8, are heated leather and IMO are much better and supportive than s lot of cars I have been in.
    Originally posted by ginashamz

I hate to burst your bubble but they are not real leather.

ETA But I suppose it doesn't matter with a pretend car.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 12th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    James2k
    nope, not overrated (for me at least) got to love the wipe clean aspects
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I just don't "get" leather seats. They come heated or cooled, because they are leather. You don't need heating or cooling with fabric seats. I keep my cars for many years & have never had problems with fabric getting dirty or wearing out. Unfortunately with most manufacturers leather comes as standard on the comfy seats so I have to put up with them.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Yet the produce heated fabric seats.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Leather quality from different manufacturers can vary hugely. Not to mention the seat support, bolsters and so forth. The sports seats in my RX8, are heated leather and IMO are much better and supportive than s lot of cars I have been in.
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    Heated from the bull§hit?
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Oct 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    Richard53
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them).
    Originally posted by macman
    I can remember when 'cloth seats' was an upgrade from the base spec.

I've had a few cars with leather and, to be honest, I love it. It's hard-wearing and easily cleaned in a way that cloth can never be, and there is a feel of a bit of luxury that is a nice bonus at the end of a long working day. The leather seats in my Range Rover are 18 years old, and apart from a bit of wear on the right-hand driver's seat bolster, they look fresh and new. Cold in winter and hot in summer, but I don't care.

Mt MX-5 had "leather and suede" seats and trim. Ha bloody ha. The 'suede' was a material called Alcantara, and the 'leather' was caught by a ray of sun reflected in the rear-view mirror and melted. They sold them as 'leather and suede' with no qualification in the original adverts, but in all conscience I could not repeat that when I sold it.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Alanp
    • By Alanp 12th Oct 18, 7:58 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Alanp
    Well I have full leather on my Ferrari.........er not the car, my sofa and chair is made by Ferrari, apparently it’s the same family as who make the cars..0-60 never..
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    Well that really makes sense. It's a seat. why does it matter what the badge on your box is?
    Originally posted by fred246
    It does yes. However perhaps it just doesnt make sense to you.

Probably the ex-motor trader coming out in me - having a feeling about what will resell and what wont. Mostly subliminal i guess.

I'd be in to modern classics to and again spec there plays a big part.

For something just to get me from A to B though i wouldnt give a monkeys. And as i said, generally speaking i can take leather or leave it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:14 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    Originally posted by macman
    Yup. My first car was a Marina with vinyl seats. They didnt even recline.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    Well, it does when you come to sell it. Jaguar/Merc/etc. buyers expect leather, and cloth cars suffer greather depreciation.

On the other hand, leather in a Fiesta doesn't add to the value. It's seen as polishing a t**d.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Yup exactly.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:17 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    I can remember when 'cloth seats' was an upgrade from the base spec.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    I sold new Austin Rovers when i was 19 back in 1988. The Metro City had part vinyl seats and you didnt get full faced cloth seats unless you upgraded to the City X. Even then the backs of the seats were vinyl.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Oct 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    Richard53
    I sold new Austin Rovers when i was 19 back in 1988. The Metro City had part vinyl seats and you didnt get full faced cloth seats unless you upgraded to the City X. Even then the backs of the seats were vinyl.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I nearly bought one of those, around the same time. Appleyards in Leeds. The sales technique was so brutal that I left, crossed the road, and bought a Renault 5. Full luxury cloth and metallic paint.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 12th Oct 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 2,368 Thanks
    Arklight
    If they're describing it as genuine leather then it needs to be genuine leather and not bonded or coated leather, otherwise they'll likely be guilty of an offence under CPRs.

As for the seats, leathers preferable if you have animals or young kids imo.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Genuine leather is bonded leather. That is exactly what genuine leather is.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-is-genuine-leather-2016-1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Oct 18, 8:44 PM
    • 14,918 Posts
    • 20,305 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I had a white D reg Metro City X 1.0 that I inherited from my grandma. Brown cloth seats with vinyl backs. I scrapped it in 2008.

I wish I still had it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 12th Oct 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    i
    I nearly bought one of those, around the same time. Appleyards in Leeds. The sales technique was so brutal that I left, crossed the road, and bought a Renault 5. Full luxury cloth and metallic paint.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    We were a big out of city dealers here in NI. No hard sell, but we still sold loads of cars.

The dealership is still going strong - they took on other franchises after Rovers demise - and still do a lot of local trade and repeat business.
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-10-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 12th Oct 18, 8:55 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    I am sitting on my sofa now, a sofa that everyone raves about when they comes over to my house. The material is faux suede I believe. The little one is always getting his food and water all over it. A quick scrub and it looks brand new. Never cold to the touch, too warm or stick to your skin like leather. Maybe cars should go for this material instead of the perceived luxury of leather.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Oct 18, 8:58 PM
    • 17,608 Posts
    • 10,674 Thanks
    motorguy
    I am sitting on my sofa now, a sofa that everyone raves about when they comes over to my house. The material is faux suede I believe. The little one is always getting his food and water all over it. A quick scrub and it looks brand new. Never cold to the touch, too warm or stick to your skin like leather. Maybe cars should go for this material instead of the perceived luxury of leather.
    Originally posted by Nathaniel Essex
    A lot of cars do. Our Merc has faux leather and i'm pretty sure faux alcantara insets too. But then we didnt buy it for the "luxury" aspect of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

8,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin