Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shanti12
    • By Shanti12 11th Oct 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shanti12
    Plumber. boiler leak
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:02 PM
    Plumber. boiler leak 11th Oct 18 at 11:02 PM
    I rang what I thought was a local plumber who advertised no call out charge. Plumber came and saw obvious problem as soon as he took the boiler cover off. He didn't fix it as he had no parts, so just replaced the cover. I rang the office, which although was a local number, was not local, and to whom I had already given credit card details. They said charge was 125 despite problem not fixed. They then said it would require 2nd visit which would be another 125. ( 250 ) I said I did not want the job done, as I had only been wanting an estimate, which I had explained when I first rang. They later rang to say they would do the job for the 125. I felt uneasy about what was happening, cancelled my credit card as they had already taken the details during the initial phone call, and got someone else to repair the boiler, it was not an expensive repair, Today I received a bill from them for 150 saying it would increase by 25 if not paid in 7 days. We never said we were having the job done as we wanted to find out about costs first. We are elderly, and very worried about what we can do. Any advice welcome
Page 1
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Oct 18, 12:44 AM
    • 5,458 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:44 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:44 AM
    They can't charge a callout charge but what they are charging is for work, the moment he looked at the boiler he is working so you have been charged a diagnostic fee, are you liable for that ? Well that depends on the telephone conversation & what their advert says, are you liable for 150 no you aren't & they can't add another 25 in 7 days, if you had phoned BG they would have charged you for the 1st 30 mins & I doubt they would fix it in that time,

As a matter of interest what was the fault ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • basiluk
    • By basiluk 19th Nov 18, 11:54 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    basiluk
    • 19th Nov 18, 11:54 PM
    • 19th Nov 18, 11:54 PM
    Shanti - Did you ever get this sorted?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

2,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin