Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHARLIE
    • By CHARLIE 11th Oct 18, 10:43 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 102Thanks
    CHARLIE
    Ebay VAT 20% ?
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:43 PM
    Ebay VAT 20% ? 11th Oct 18 at 10:43 PM
    I have just realised I have been paying 20% VAT on my selling account (EBAY). I can't understand the paper work on ebay. Can anyone explain please. I am not a business seller and only post to the UK. Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ? can anyone advise please.
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Oct 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:16 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:16 PM
    It's easier to tell you what you don't pay VAT on in the UK than what you do.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Oct 18, 7:22 AM
    • 13,055 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:22 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 7:22 AM
    I have just realised I have been paying 20% VAT on my selling account (EBAY). I can't understand the paper work on ebay. Can anyone explain please. I am not a business seller and only post to the UK. Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ? can anyone advise please.
    Originally posted by CHARLIE
    You pay VAT on services/goods when they are supplied by a company/person who is registered for VAT.

When you go into John Lewis, you are paying VAT on the items you buy, when you pay your mobile phone bill you are paying VAT to the mobile phone company.....why do you think eBay is different?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    Maybe you are referring to the fact that they stopped charging VAT on private accounts when they moved their UK headquarters to Luxemburg to avoid paying tax allegedly, but due to BREXIT companies are having to move back which is why tax revenue in the UK is rapidly going up at the moment.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 13,055 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:53 AM
    Maybe you are referring to the fact that they stopped charging VAT on private accounts when they moved their UK headquarters to Luxemburg to avoid paying tax allegedly, but due to BREXIT companies are having to move back which is why tax revenue in the UK is rapidly going up at the moment.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    It wasn't due to Brexit that eBay changed how they charge VAT, it was because they should not have been reversing charging individuals in the first place.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    It wasn't due to Brexit that eBay changed how they charge VAT, it was because they should not have been reversing charging individuals in the first place.
    Come on, literally everything is due to BREXIT, everyone knows that.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 28,224 Posts
    • 11,478 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    Damn Brexit... Caused it to rain today
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    Damn Brexit... Caused it to rain today
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

Rainy days and Sundays "May" get you down
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 13,055 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    Come on, literally everything is due to BREXIT, everyone knows that.
    A moment of madness, sorry, I forgot.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 12th Oct 18, 11:01 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    RFW
    An exempt form is for someone who would be exempt from paying VAT in the UK, you aren't one, so no, they aren't right.

Posting to the UK only is not relevant, the VAT is charged on Ebay's fees, nothing to do with what or how you sell.
    • This Year
    • By This Year 13th Oct 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 5,303 Thanks
    This Year
    Ebay have said I can fill in an exempt form is this right ?
    eBay cs will swear that donkeys can fly if it will get you off the phone.
    • wenzani
    • By wenzani 28th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wenzani
    Ebay complicit in VAT fraud
    I have come across some foriegn Ebay buisness sellers with GB VAT numbers but their addresses on VIES don't correspond the that posted on Ebay and when asked to provide a VAT receipt they refuse. I have complained to Ebay who say they can't force the seller to provide the VAT receipt and I should advise the HMRC but that doesn't help me as I am still unable to reclaim the VAT on purchases without a valid VAT receipt. I have also contacted PayPal to ask why the vendors VAT number is not displayed on payment advice but they respond to say it is not their policy to do so. I feel that Ebay and maybe PayPal are complicit in the vendors tax evasion as all they need to do is to instruct the VAT registered sellers to generate a VAT reciept for every sale and load thier VAT numbers on to the PayPal receipt, if they don't suspend the account. Any ideas on how to proceed?
    • bris
    • By bris 28th Nov 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    bris
    Only VAT registered businesses are required to provide VAT receipts. Not all businesses need to register for VAT, there is an annual threshold of 85k before they need to register.
    So you need to first find out if they are even registered for VAT before you can complain about them.
    • wenzani
    • By wenzani 29th Nov 18, 11:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wenzani
    VAT vendors refusing VAT receipts
    I am talking about VAT registered vendors who are refusing to provide VAT receipts but thanks for drawing that little known fact to our attention.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 29th Nov 18, 11:47 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Don't you think it's more to do with Chinese sellers being asked for a VAT number to prove they are trading in the UK so they enter someone else's VAT number?
    • RFW
    • By RFW 29th Nov 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    RFW
    Don't you think it's more to do with Chinese sellers being asked for a VAT number to prove they are trading in the UK so they enter someone else's VAT number?
    It's possible.
    I suspect HMRC would be all over that if someone let them know.
    It's interesting that Ebay allow that to happen, it can't on Amazon, they check the VAT number.
    • wenzani
    • By wenzani 29th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wenzani
    Someone else's VAT number ?
    Yes the sellers I'm talking about are mostly from China and Singapore and as they don't know how to construct a VAT receipt I guess they don't submit the VAT therefore I can't reclaim it.
    I am looking into PayPal alternatives to see if they show the vendors VAT number but ultimately the issue is Ebay's lack of enforcement on vendor's to comply with the law and provide a VAT reciept with the company address that is the same as the VAT numbers address.
    Maybe they use someone else's VAT number, not sure if they can get a company registration and VAT number if they are not here.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 29th Nov 18, 11:40 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    RFW
    Yes the sellers I'm talking about are mostly from China and Singapore and as they don't know how to construct a VAT receipt I guess they don't submit the VAT therefore I can't reclaim it.
    I am looking into PayPal alternatives to see if they show the vendors VAT number but ultimately the issue is Ebay's lack of enforcement on vendor's to comply with the law and provide a VAT reciept with the company address that is the same as the VAT numbers address.
    Maybe they use someone else's VAT number, not sure if they can get a company registration and VAT number if they are not here.
    Originally posted by wenzani
    Contact HMRC with the VAT number and ask what you should do. They'd be able to check.
    You don't have to be in the UK to have a UK VAT number but you do need to issue a VAT receipt, so something isn't right.
    • wenzani
    • By wenzani 1st Dec 18, 2:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wenzani
    I did contact the HMRC to alert them to the suspected VAT fraud of the vendor but that doesn't help me to reclaim the VAT
    • RFW
    • By RFW 1st Dec 18, 3:24 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    RFW
    I did contact the HMRC to alert them to the suspected VAT fraud of the vendor but that doesn't help me to reclaim the VAT
    Originally posted by wenzani
    Did you ask what they suggest? If they can verify it as a genuine VAT number then you may be able to self invoice as you have a payment receipt and transaction details.

If it isn't a genuine VAT number then you can't get the VAT back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

3,521Users online

Martin's Twitter