Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JessCM9
    • By JessCM9 11th Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JessCM9
    Worried I'm going to jeopardise new job
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    Worried I'm going to jeopardise new job 11th Oct 18 at 10:31 PM
    I am currently incredibly unhappy in my current role to the point where it is making me physically and psychologically ill. I have been offered a new position in a different unit in the same company but it could take 3 months for me to get a start date. I don't think I can stay in my current job for this long, and it has been suggested that I go off sick until I get a start date for the new job. Will this affect my new role as it is in the same company? Just don't think I can last three months!!
Page 1
    • Me2you
    • By Me2you 11th Oct 18, 10:33 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Me2you
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:33 PM
    Yeah it will. Don’t do it.
    • walshie123
    • By walshie123 11th Oct 18, 10:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    walshie123
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:36 PM
    what is it thats making you unhappy? if i were you i would make a list. if there are a few issues on there that are caused by the rules/politics/management then you need to leave the company altogether as moving to another department will be the same again
    • JessCM9
    • By JessCM9 11th Oct 18, 11:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JessCM9
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:49 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:49 PM
    Thank you for the response. I don't think it's the company it's more the specific unit I currently work in and the environment. The new unit is in a different location and it seems a better fit for me. I just don't think i can last 3 months in the current office.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Oct 18, 1:13 AM
    • 39,251 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:13 AM
    If it's a company large enough to have several departments, it's surely large enough to have an HR dept, and surely worth checking with them how long it might actually take to get a start date, and whether there is anything to be done to speed up the process.

And is the delay in the new dept giving a start date, or is it a case of your current manager working out when you can be 'let go' to the new department? Because if it's the latter, then HR may be able to offer advice there too - I was once in that situation, my new manager was desperate for me to start, and my old manager was desperate for me not to leave until after the summer rush. A very helpful HR member said "you know you could just give a month's written notice to leave your current dept, don't you?" I hadn't realised I could do that.

In some companies that would be a risky strategy, depending on the 'power' of different managers. In my situation, it was the best thing to do.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    Who has suggested going off sick?

As you have an end game why can't you tough it out for 3 months, it would be pointless to jeopardise the move.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    A significant component of the negative feelings are that it's never going to end, you're never going to get out of it etc.

You are getting out of it, and it will end in 3 months time - that should be enough to make sit out the rest of the time - realistically, you only have to sit it out until Christmas. Come the new year, you'll have a new role.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    I agree that you need to sit this out. Your alternative is to go off sick for three months. Why would the new department want someone who is on long term sickness? You can hardly say that the only reason you went off sick was because of the job when it's the same employer. They aren't likely to feel reassured by your blaming the job/ employer for your sickness.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 12th Oct 18, 9:15 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Les79
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:15 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:15 PM
    There's also the possibility that "the grass isn't greener on the other side"
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 19,367 Posts
    • 19,939 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    So... the posts on here are pretty unanimous in recommending you don't go off sick. (I agree, FWIW.) But no-one has come up with any strategies for sitting it out, which I think might be useful.

If it were me, I'd have a chart of time to go - I might even make myself a sort of advent calendar with a reward at the end of each week. It might be useful to come up with a work plan of what you need to complete, and a handover. Of course, your job might not work like that, but if it does, not only will you go with a glowing report about the great handover you did, but (again, if it were me...) anything you do to prepare for leaving will help to build your feeling that the end is in sight and the light and the end of the tunnel is getting larger and brighter.

(And have you got any leave you can take during the period, to reduce the time at all?)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,623Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter