Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reyalp
    • By reyalp 11th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    reyalp
    Carer's allowance, HB and UC
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:16 PM
    Carer's allowance, HB and UC 11th Oct 18 at 9:16 PM
    Hi. I have been taking care of my mum full time for the last 5 years, but have never claimed carer's allowance. She is in receipt of the higher rate of attendance allowance and receives a top up to her pension credit.

I also currently work part time and earn roughly 80 a week. I live alone and I am claiming full housing benefit. My mum also helps me with the bills and groceries.

I have been advised that I will be moved to universal credit soon and that I will likely need to work more hours or lose benefits. This won't be possible due to the care I provide for my mum.

Would I be better off claiming carers allowance for myself now (my mum is fine with her benefits decreasing due to me claiming carers allowance as she already helps me out anyway) or should I try universal credit?

My main issue financially is covering rent and I can't do that without housing benefit. If I receive carers allowance and continue to work, can I claim just housing benefit and not go down the UC route?
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Oct 18, 9:55 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:55 PM
    Why do you think you will be moved to UC soon? Unless your circumstances are about to change the migration to UC is not due to start until July next year and will not be complete until 2023 (and that may change).

Does your mother live alone and get a Severe Disability Addition in her Pension Credit? This is worth 64.30 to her if she gets it. If you claim Carer’s Allowance (64.60) she would no longer be entitled to the SDA. From what you have said I infer this is the case and your mum is happy with this. However the CA will be taken into account as income when calculating your Housing Benefit so this may reduce. I would suggest you use a benefits calculator to check this because if it does you would effectively not be getting the full 64.60.

If you do claim CA you can continue with housing benefit.

At some point if the UC rollout continues as planned you will be required to switch to UC in order to continue to get help with your rent because housing benefit is replaced by UC. Under UC you get extra money as a carer without claiming Carer’s Allowance (and your mum loses her SDA). As a carer you would not have any work search requirements.
    Last edited by calcotti; 11-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    • reyalp
    • By reyalp 11th Oct 18, 10:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    reyalp
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:38 PM
    I was due to move homes and was told I would assessed for universal credit instead of HB.

The simplest solution seems to be to stay put and not move which I'm fine with.

Thank you for your advice.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    I was due to move homes and was told I would assessed for universal credit instead of HB.

The simplest solution seems to be to stay put and not move which I'm fine with.

Thank you for your advice.
    Originally posted by reyalp
    If you moved house within the same local authority you could stay on housing benefit. If you move house to a different local authority which is UC then you would have to claim UC.
    • reyalp
    • By reyalp 13th Oct 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    reyalp
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:17 PM
    If I were to claim UC and get the Carer element then would my mum stop getting her SDA?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Oct 18, 10:24 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:24 PM
    If I were to claim UC and get the Carer element then would my mum stop getting her SDA?
    Originally posted by reyalp
    Yes she would no longer be entitled to it.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th Oct 18, 2:07 PM
    • 26,951 Posts
    • 16,097 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:07 PM
    Would it be possible for you to share your mother's home?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,935Posts Today

6,546Users online

Martin's Twitter