Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 11th Oct 18, 9:00 PM
    • 614Posts
    • 264Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Halifax Mortgage credit search
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:00 PM
    Halifax Mortgage credit search 11th Oct 18 at 9:00 PM
    I've applied through broker for a Halifax remortgage and just seen ive had 10 searches on credit file by Halifax.

Some are sole and other joint searches (joint mortgage with wife)...is that amount of searches normal as it seems an awful lot.

Majority were yesterday and single today.

Was informed earlier today we have the valuation Monday.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Page 1
    • plunt
    • By plunt 12th Oct 18, 3:54 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    plunt
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:54 PM
    this happened to me about 4 years back with halifax. they did 12 searches and even though i was approved i then got an email saying that they have now declined my mortgage with no reason why. they stated they were not allowed to tell me why...I checked my credit record and turned out is was because they had searched it so many times it killed my credit rating!

Anyways ironically they used to have the halifax pledges which they have seemed to removed since.

Halifax Pledge Number 3 “Pledge 3: If your application is unsuccessful, we'll help you understand why”. When I pointed this to the mortgage advisor, firstly he had never even heard of the Halifax pledges so I had to guide him through the Halifax website to show him they actually existed! He then followed up with his manager and came back but still refused to assist me in understanding why my offer was revoked and stated “I can not tell you otherwise you might try and fix or hide items in your credit report”.

Needless to say the decision was reversed after a lot of complaining by me, compensation provided (distress, inconvenience, phone calls, credit report membership , etc) , credit searches removed.

I would strongly recommend you giving them a call and getting it noted!
    • Neutrinno
    • By Neutrinno 12th Oct 18, 4:03 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Neutrinno
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:03 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:03 PM
    this happened to me about 4 years back with halifax. they did 12 searches and even though i was approved i then got an email saying that they have now declined my mortgage with no reason why. they stated they were not allowed to tell me why...I checked my credit record and turned out is was because they had searched it so many times it killed my credit rating!
    Originally posted by plunt
    I doubt that; Halifax do a 'soft credit search', so it wouldn't be visable to other lenders or affect your credit rating.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • plunt
    • By plunt 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    plunt
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    It wasnt a soft search, it was a hard mainly ones, as confirmed by them eventually. Interestingly not only did my credit history show halifax searched, a load of their subsidiaries names also appeared. In total it was about 10 hard searches and 2 soft.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    • 34,260 Posts
    • 18,599 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    Halifax still lends under the Bank Of Scotland banking licence, so it's usual to see searches by Halifax and BOS.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 12th Oct 18, 8:04 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:04 PM
    Says Bank of Scotland Administration search and separate search states Checking Credit application along with Quotation search each is showing four times.

Also Lloyd s banking group just one search Administration search.

No idea if soft or Hard searches.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

8,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin