Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 11th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    • 914Posts
    • 680Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    How to profit from BREXIT
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:02 PM
    How to profit from BREXIT 11th Oct 18 at 8:02 PM
    It is of no consequence whether Brexit is right or wrong.

How can one exploit the opportunities, uncertainties, hope and fears to become rich?
    Last edited by FatherAbraham; 11-10-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
Page 2
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 12th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I'm investing in Humblepie plc.

Thoughts being that however things develop a not insignificant part of the population will be eating it.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 12th Oct 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 6,405 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Stockpile Toblerones and Ferrero Rocher
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 12th Oct 18, 1:36 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    There's a nice FT article on this, saying:

Brexit negotiations have entered the most high stakes period since the UK’s 2016 EU referendum. Expectations of a breakthrough are so elevated that a failure may prove spectacular.

("Brexit deal, muddle or disaster: the 3 UK scenarios", (https://www.ft.com/content/0d5c6784-cd70-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab, for those of you with subscriptions).

It implies that there's probably mileage in selling UK equities today, and rebuying on Monday -- either the market will rise by not very much, or there will be a rather larger shock that negotiations are not on track, giving rise to a relative gain for a brave investor.

Still, this isn't really lateral thinking.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Oct 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 23,505 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I'm investing in Humblepie plc.

Thoughts being that however things develop a not insignificant part of the population will be eating it.
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    Yes, when the Four Horsemen [fail to] turn up at Dover and [don't] go charging up the M20 to the City there will be quite a few red faces.

Unfortunately the Evening Standard won't have sufficient editorial vacancies to employ them all, whichever way it goes.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Oct 18, 2:01 PM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 23,505 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Stockpile Toblerones and Ferrero Rocher
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Great lateral thinking.... the Diplomatic Services are going to be working overtime
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Yes, when the Four Horsemen [fail to] turn up at Dover and [don't] go charging up the M20 to the City there will be quite a few red faces.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Nah. That's not how humans work.

If the Four Horsemen fail to turn up Remainders will stick with the mantra of the past two years, which is "Brexit hasn't actually happened yet". "Wait for the transitional deals to expire" they'll say. "A recession doesn't happen overnight" they'll say, ignoring the fact that they previously said that a recession would happen overnight in July 2016, and then again in March 2019.

On their dying day, long after Brexit has been forgotten and reduced to a historical curiosity that seemed terribly important at the time, like the Suez crisis, they will whisper to their nearest and dearest from their hoverdeathbeds "I'm sorry I left you to deal with the coming Brexit crisis", causing their bemused grandchildren to reach for their history brainchips.

If the Four Horsemen do turn up, Brexiteers will say that it's all Remainers' fault and everything will be fine once they get out of the way and stop sabotaging the country.

Either way, no red faces.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 12th Oct 18, 3:34 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Albermarle
    Probably they will be stuck at Calais !
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 12th Oct 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    talexuser
    No, "guaranteed" is a protected term and the FCA might actually lumber into action.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    Judging from the number of threads started here about whether this or that 8% guaranteed is too good to be true, it doesn't look like they lumber very often.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 12th Oct 18, 8:07 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    Judging from the number of threads started here about whether this or that 8% guaranteed is too good to be true, it doesn't look like they lumber very often.
    Originally posted by talexuser
    Did someone say lumber? Let me tell you about an asset-backed, fixed, insured forestry investment scheme...
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 12th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    k6chris
    Compared to a Corbyn government, for instance. Compared to the huge market crash I expect sometime between this month and the Spring of '21, say. Compared to Italexit, compared to the collapse of a huge German bank I'd be wise not to name, compared to the assassination of Mr Trump, compared to the fall of the House of Saud, compared to civil war in China, compared to ...
    Originally posted by kidmugsy

You missed "existance of aliens disclosure".....
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 12th Oct 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    Snakey
    I wasn't aware that Heinz did a Black Forest sponge pudding (I live in the middle of London where you only tend to get the best-selling one or two of a range, not the full selection). Has anyone had one? What's it like?
    • Peelerfart
    • By Peelerfart 12th Oct 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    Peelerfart
    Whenever I go to the big bit of Europe I always return full of wine, so that's out.
    I also return wanting one of either, deep breath,

Black pudding, haggis, UK sausage, spam, corned beef, bacon, pork pies or pies of most any kind, pasties, baked beans. Oh! And fray bentos steak and kidney.

Nope not a vegan and hope it helps, but I doubt it :-)
    Space available for rent
    • oxocubes
    • By oxocubes 13th Oct 18, 12:25 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    oxocubes
    I also return wanting one of either, deep breath,

Black pudding, haggis, UK sausage, spam, corned beef, bacon, pork pies or pies of most any kind, pasties, baked beans. Oh! And fray bentos steak and kidney.
    Originally posted by Peelerfart
    Explains your name
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 13th Oct 18, 1:18 AM
    • 8,950 Posts
    • 25,569 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Did someone say lumber? Let me tell you about an asset-backed, fixed, insured forestry investment scheme...
    Originally posted by londoninvestor
    Asset-backed is highly dependent on the value of the underlying assets, which can (and likely will) fluctuate.

Which way is anyone’s guess.

As for profiting, my strategies are strictly commercially confidential to the extent that many of those I work with don’t know what plans are in place, as are anyone’s who may or may not be gearing up for what’s may or may not be about to come.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Oct 18, 7:46 AM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    Alexland
    I wasn't aware that Heinz did a Black Forest sponge pudding (I live in the middle of London where you only tend to get the best-selling one or two of a range, not the full selection). Has anyone had one? What's it like?
    Originally posted by Snakey
    Heinz have stopped making them so I guess we will never know.

Treacle pudding was a totally awesome meal for one.

Alex
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 13th Oct 18, 8:10 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Apodemus
    There's a nice FT article on this, saying:

("Brexit deal, muddle or disaster: the 3 UK scenarios", (https://www.ft.com/content/0d5c6784-cd70-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab, for those of you with subscriptions).

It implies that there's probably mileage in selling UK equities today, and rebuying on Monday -- either the market will rise by not very much, or there will be a rather larger shock that negotiations are not on track, giving rise to a relative gain for a brave investor.

Still, this isn't really lateral thinking.
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    So far, each time the news has been bad, the pound has fallen and the FT100 has risen, due to the global nature of the component companies, so I’m not sure your strategy here is sound!

I wonder, though, if we can turn your question around and ask if anyone has profited from the yo-yo nature of the good-news, bad-news cycle over the last two years? There must have been stocks that rose and fell on a fairly predictable basis and frequent traders that have profited from this?
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 13th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    ruperts
    I’d imagine ‘EU compliance’ legal services will do quite well in the event of no deal.

Poverty-relief shops like B&M bargains should the economy downturn.

British equivalents of products that are usually or often imported should the pound weaken, and vice versa.

The British stock index in general should the Tory government press ahead with making the uk a low tax, low regulation, low wage economy post brexit.
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 13th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    dividendhero
    Lord Snooty's dad has written a book on "disaster capitalism", ie how to make money in crisis such as the collapse of the USSR. Obviously no suggestion that Rees-Mogg and his chums in the ERG are pursuing their own financial interests regarding Brexit and only have the interests of the working classes at heart..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sovereign-Individual-James-Dale-Davidson/dp/0684832720/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1539427279&sr=1-1&keywords=the+sovereign+individual
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 61,280 Posts
    • 54,524 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    low wage economy post brexit.
    Originally posted by ruperts
    That's a global issue already. Not just a UK one. Brexit has no bearing. Though with less access to a pool of cheap labour. The minumum wage may not be the defacto wage in certain industries. Once companies are forced to offer better packages to recruit staff.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    • 61,280 Posts
    • 54,524 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Because Brexit isn't an everyday occurrence - is a large, one-off change, with unpredictable consequences.
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    The consequences are likely to ripple far and wide. Due to the interconnected nature of the world.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter