Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lancslass17
    • By lancslass17 11th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lancslass17
    Christmas
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    Christmas 11th Oct 18 at 8:00 PM
    Hi all I know I'm early but want to get organised I have a 3 month old, what things did you do for their first Christmas. (Obviously spending as little as possible)
    I'm thinking of letter from Santa but not sure who is best
    Cards with his picture on to send out
    Visit to santa thats nice but won't break the bank.

My Oh isn't into Xmas as his mum died at that time of year so want to try and make it special for us all.

Ideas appreciated.
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    Didn't really do anything other than buy a cute Christmas themed baby suit ( reindeer pattern or something I think). Could also send a card from the baby as you suggest. At that age they are too young to understand anything so there didn't seem much point doing more. Sounds miserable but make the most of a cheap Christmas. Once they get to school age and ask for gifts that are expensive or hard to find it becomes more stressful!
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 11th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    Dont force it too much as your OH has bad memories associated with this time of year

I agree with the poster above, the first xmas is one of the cheapest christmases you are ever going to have hahaha
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 11th Oct 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 4,454 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:28 PM
    Baby won't notice or remember what you do but OH will so why not ask him what he wants to do to remember his Mum, did she have any traditions he would like to continue or anything he doesn't want to happen .

Appreciate you want new ideas here too but value OH's input and make it a happy time for him again.

Baby will probably enjoy a large empty box to sit in , enjoy not buying a load of tat .
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 65,291 Posts
    • 383,195 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    3 months .... s/he won't know anything .... I'd make it about you/OH ... and the baby's just incidentally there, to be honest.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th Oct 18, 8:53 PM
    • 20,473 Posts
    • 34,122 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:53 PM
    Both of mine were 9 months old at their 1st xmas. Me and DH bought separately so it was a surprise to each other what we got.
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 11th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    bluenose1
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    My kids were bought far too much for Christmas when they were that age. There again I did have the sense to put some of it away for their birthdays. Didn't matter that it had already been unwrapped at Christmas, no-one remembered.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• clairec79
    • By clairec79 11th Oct 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 6,380 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:05 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 11:05 PM
    We brought stuff they would need later on, one was only 5 days old I think he got a bouncy chair and a play mat, another had a high chair and so on
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 12th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    My first son was 3 months at his first Christmas, he has no idea what was going on. But did like some of the new things we bought him.

We didn't get to opening our presents, had to spread it out over Boxing Day as well as he had enough after a while.

This year he will be 2 1/4 and our youngest will be exactly 6 months on Christmas Eve, so his first food will be a tiny bit of Christmas dinner to chew on.

If he's anything like DS1 then at 6 months he'll be far more interested in what's going on then DS1 was at 3 months.

So excited to see what it's like. We're not doing anything big, just nice calm family Christmas hopefully. Tree, decorations, presents, food and family.

We'll have stockings for them both and we'll read some Christmas stories leading up to it.

DS1 will obviously get far more from it this year being over 2.

I think the whole visiting Santa/Father Christmas thing is weird - just personally - to me I feel like it kind of spoils the mystery and magic of it. You should never see him and especially not someone pretending to be him. How they imagine him to be will be far more magical than "sweaty Steve"
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 12th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 8,194 Posts
    • 17,767 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    As others have said, the baby is too young to even know that Christmas is happening, much less enjoy what presents, etc. However, I think that making some traditions is a good idea. Since my daughter was a year old, when my sister bought her a copy, I read 'The night before Christmas' every Christmas Eve. When my boys were born, they joined in too - one was less than a month old when he first heard it. She is now carrying on our family tradition with her own daughter.

Since my graddaughter was born almost four years ago, I have bought her a decoration for the tree, and it's something that I intend to continue. When she leaves home, she will have a few decorations of her own. Maybe you and your partner would like to give your child a clear bauble with a photo of his mum inside (then again, he might hate the idea!) My mum is always a bit sad at Christmas because she lost her own mum when she was in her teens, and her mum's birthday was Christmas Eve. She doesn't even have a photo of her.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Oct 18, 11:37 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I think it is nice to celebrate and start traditions as it their first christmas, and it will create new happy memories for your OH.

I agree with not going overboard with gifts, however I still think it is an occasion to mark. Yes they will not remember their first Christmas, but you will!

Personally I think a little xmas eve box for you all (maybe new pjs, and a christmas book to read to your little one each year, plus some treats for Mummy and Daddy when baby is in bed!) would be a lovely tradition to start. Also as it is babys first xmas a tree decoration marking this occasion in the box to pop on the tree. We always buy new decorations for each of the milestones in our life as personally I am sentimental and love to remember happy memories.

Letter to Santa I think is a lovely idea. I think the royal mail does this for free so very MSE, well other than the cost of a stamp, and it is a lovely thing for your little one to look at when they are older.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 11,296 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    The baby won't have a clue, anything you do will be for you / your OH, not the baby.

If you want to be money saving, do nothing!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • jenijen27
    • By jenijen27 12th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    jenijen27
    For my first child's first Christmas, we didn't really spend a lot on gifts, but we started a couple of traditions. I bought a lovely wooden advent calendar (this one https://www.lakeland.co.uk/40910/Bethlehem-Advent-Stable ) and we went to a local deer park on Christmas Eve. This trip in later years later became a visit to see the reindeer's before the fly off to the North Pole (or if we didn't see any, then they must have already left as they have an extra busy night ahead)
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 9,605 Thanks
    pogofish
    Hi all I know I'm early but want to get organised

Ideas appreciated.
    Originally posted by lancslass17
    Maybe the best idea would be to get organised enough to post in the Christmas Forum?

Which is actually open all year here, so you can get organised whenever you like!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 18, 2:36 PM
    • 25,349 Posts
    • 102,421 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    There's no need for huge amounts of things this year, but a gentle chat with your OH might be needed to establish that, despite his bereavement, it's not going to be fair to his child if they associate Christmas with Daddy being unhappy/not getting involved with celebrations.

In fairness, he might find it makes the season easier for him now there's somebody new to enjoy all the sparkles and excitement - but I do know people who grew up seeing Christmas as the time when their parent stayed in bed and ignored them/banned all happiness, and it's not nice for them. Their main complaint was that it wasn't their fault and they didn't think it was fair that nobody in the family was allowed to enjoy themselves.

I'd put up a tree with some pretty lights and start with a few special decorations - we were so skint when DD1 was born at the end of November, that I made decorations with cornflake packets and felt tips. Even though we split up acrimoniously with six months, my daughter told me that he's still got my rubbish attempts at cartoon birds because they were for her First Christmas and, for all the nastiness that ensued, they've always come out as 'her decorations' when he's done the tree with his wife and subsequent children.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Oct 18, 3:46 PM
    • 8,455 Posts
    • 26,675 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    One cute outfit for photos. (Buy a few others after the main fuss & get a few more photos before Easter, if you want to suggest there was more enthusiasm.)

A cardboard box big enough to sit in - wrapped if you want, decorated if you want, but intended to amuse/intrigue the young person.

A negotiated truce with OH about Christmas being the time for children rather than just memories. Best present you could give either of them, likely.

A string of lights & a disk of carols & one agreed Christmas Story. Lay the foundations of simplicity & with luck the excesses can be indulged one year & not bothered with another, but the basics still shine through.

I loved Advent services - candles, people singing, a connected feeling - but different churches, different faiths, different ways - do what's comfortable!
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 15th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 16,677 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    lancslass17 - Everyone is right at this age not much is needed enjoy it while it lasts ! , pop over to the celebrations board there's a Christmas discussion that runs year round . We are a super friendly group with lots of ideas and chat .
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones there’s a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 15th Oct 18, 9:06 AM
    • 10,395 Posts
    • 58,821 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Eldest was not quite 3 months old for his first Christmas, we got him a few bits and pieces, nothing too over the top as everyone else went overboard...he slept through most of it.

Our special day was cut short as I had to go to work at lunchtime for the rest of the day and we had to visit my seriously ill nan in hospital before doing so.
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Oct 18, 11:12 AM
    • 11,889 Posts
    • 13,856 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Hi all I know I'm early but want to get organised I have a 3 month old, what things did you do for their first Christmas. (Obviously spending as little as possible)
    I'm thinking of letter from Santa but not sure who is best
    Cards with his picture on to send out
    Visit to santa thats nice but won't break the bank.

My Oh isn't into Xmas as his mum died at that time of year so want to try and make it special for us all.

Ideas appreciated.
    Originally posted by lancslass17
    OK I'm going to bite. Please explain to me what use to anyone let alone a 6 month old a "letter from Santa" would be? (Or a 16 month old. Or even a 26 month old.)

Aged 3,4 5 and maybe 6 years yes. Although a video message might be better at earlier ages. There's a free service that does those. Aged 6 months would be a ridiculous waste of money even if it was free

Visit to Santa to get pics, yes (pointless for any other purpose) , although note they may contain a crying child !

Xmas card with pic of child dressed up, for friends and relatives, absolutely.
    Letter from Santa? No that's just silly.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 15th Oct 18, 2:26 PM
    • 8,637 Posts
    • 28,771 Thanks
    fairy lights
    No one, apart from possibly grandparents, wants a card with a picture of your baby on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,355Posts Today

7,064Users online

Martin's Twitter