Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsHQ
    • By MrsHQ 11th Oct 18, 5:27 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrsHQ
    0 WOW
    Issues with British Airways
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Issues with British Airways 11th Oct 18 at 5:27 PM
    Hi All,
    Looking for some advice/ bright ideas etc.
    We flew with BA from Heathrow to Toronto on 4th Sept for our 10 day honeymoon. My suitcase was left behind by BA at Heathrow. We filled out everything and was told it would be sent over and delivered to us. Informed them of our movements and gave addresses of the places we where going to be staying at.
    Basically despite what the tracking service said and their own staff, the bag never made it to Canada and we collected it when we flew back to Heathrow.
    On the 18th we wrote and emailed BA asking to be reimbursed our expenses, sending copies of receipts and bills. We did not ask for a penny more.
    On the 25th had a reply basically saying they may only pay for the clothes I bought whilst out in Canada and nothing more. Our total expense was over 600
    I replied on the 26th as their reasons did not stack up and have heard nothing since.
    Ive Tweeted and have been told they can do nothing it's with Customer Relations. We emailed the CEO of BA yesterday. Surprise no answer.
    My travel insurance will not cover all our expenses either

If anyone has had a similar experience, if anyone has advise, we would be really grateful to hear from you.
    Many Thanks
    J
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    _shel
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    Hi All,
    Looking for some advice/ bright ideas etc.
    We flew with BA from Heathrow to Toronto on 4th Sept for our 10 day honeymoon. My suitcase was left behind by BA at Heathrow. We filled out everything and was told it would be sent over and delivered to us. Informed them of our movements and gave addresses of the places we where going to be staying at.
    Basically despite what the tracking service said and their own staff, the bag never made it to Canada and we collected it when we flew back to Heathrow.
    On the 18th we wrote and emailed BA asking to be reimbursed our expenses, sending copies of receipts and bills. We did not ask for a penny more.
    On the 25th had a reply basically saying they may only pay for the clothes I bought whilst out in Canada and nothing more. Our total expense was over 600
    I replied on the 26th as their reasons did not stack up and have heard nothing since.
    Ive Tweeted and have been told they can do nothing it's with Customer Relations. We emailed the CEO of BA yesterday. Surprise no answer.
    My travel insurance will not cover all our expenses either

If anyone has had a similar experience, if anyone has advise, we would be really grateful to hear from you.
    Many Thanks
    J
    Originally posted by MrsHQ
    What expenses other than clothes are you expecting them to reimburse?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Oct 18, 8:17 AM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:17 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 8:17 AM
    Wait until you hear back from them and then take it from there. If I understand you correctly they haven't refused to reimburse anything yet. If the other items you purchased are things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc. I would expect you to get the money back for that.
    • MrsHQ
    • By MrsHQ 12th Oct 18, 2:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsHQ
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:12 PM
    I brought clothes to replace the ones I thought where lost, as BA could not locate my bag. So its these as well as my phone bill. I'm a bit old fashioned and wanted to talk to a person for answers etc. They have said they would not pay for these call as they have Twitter available 24/7 and the luggage tracker app. The app said my bag was found and on the way to me (so was obviously incorrect).
    They have also said they would not reimburse me for the clothes I bought to replace the ones I believed were lost in the case, as I got the case back.
    HAS ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE???
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 12th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    Strange that you can't scrape 600 between BA and insurance - there's obviously something that one/other/both aren't happy with.

Given they're also rejecting phone costs then you've either got yourself a bad customer service person or you've !!!!ed them off in some way

What's the split of costs and what have they offered ?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 17,376 Posts
    • 43,805 Thanks
    elsien
    You may have a problem if you replaced everything in the bag.
    You knew the bag had been found although you were misled about when you would get it. The expectation would be that you bought just what you needed to keep you going until the bag was returned. Not full replacements for everything that was in it, which it sounds as if what you have done.
    Last edited by elsien; 12-10-2018 at 2:24 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • MrsHQ
    • By MrsHQ 12th Oct 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsHQ
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:57 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:57 PM
    At the time I bought the clothing to replace what was in the bag, I did not know the bag had been found.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 17,376 Posts
    • 43,805 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:14 PM
    Yes, but you wouldn't normally replace all the contents of the bag in one go if your suitcase had gone awol. It's not unusual for luggage to take days (or sometimes weeks) to reappear. I suspect they may be looking at what could be considered essential replacements and what you bought that wasn't strictly neccessary at the time and that's where the discrepancy is coming in.
    Lots of people take clothes away with them that they don't strictly need - 3 tops instead of one in case you can't decide which goes best with the trousers. For example.
    If you want the claim paid you're going to need to evidence why you needed it at that point and why the purchases couldn't wait for your bag to show up again. It really does depend on what you bought and why.
    Last edited by elsien; 12-10-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Oct 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:17 PM
    They have also said they would not reimburse me for the clothes I bought to replace the ones I believed were lost in the case, as I got the case back.
    Originally posted by MrsHQ

Your bag was delayed, not lost. What they'll reimburse are essential purchases, e.g. clothes you needed during the wait, toiletries, etc. I've had bags delayed with BA and other airlines many times and have yet to have a claim for reimbursement denied.
    • MrsHQ
    • By MrsHQ 12th Oct 18, 7:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsHQ
    There is much more to this than I put down. I just wanted to know if anyone else had been through similar and ask their advise.
    The bag was lost, surely delayed would indicate I received it whilst stainless on honeymoon/holiday. BA did not know where it was.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Tecnically, a bag isn't lost until it's been delayed more than 21 days. We can't read your minds so if there's relevant information you're leaving out you'll have to tell us if you want better advice. In general, things are as I said, i.e. you'll get reimbursed for essential purchases.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 22,910 Posts
    • 57,491 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    If I were going on a 10-day holiday (a special one, at that) my suitcase would be full of the clothes I intend to wear and items I intend to use during that holiday. It wouldn't contain 'spare' clothes that I don't need, not with the luggage restrictions in place these days.

So if my suitcase had 600 of clothing and items that I intended to wear/use for 10 days, and I didn't receive my suitcase during those 10 days, then it is highly likely that I will spend around the same amount of money purchasing replacement clothes/items for my holiday. I would not buy only two outfits and spend my holiday washing them every single day.

And then, like the OP, I'd be expecting to claim from somewhere - BA or my insurance - for the cost of the replacements I bought.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Oct 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    jpsartre
    So if my suitcase had 600 of clothing and items that I intended to wear/use for 10 days, and I didn't receive my suitcase during those 10 days, then it is highly likely that I will spend around the same amount of money purchasing replacement clothes/items for my holiday.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie

You're not necessarily supposed to replace the items you were travelling with, you're supposed to buy what is necessary. That being said, 600 for 2 people buying things for 10 days doesn't sound excessive to me.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 12-10-2018 at 8:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,471Posts Today

9,574Users online

Martin's Twitter