Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kaths
    • By Kaths 11th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Kaths
    Parking Charge Notice
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    Parking Charge Notice 11th Oct 18 at 2:55 PM
    Hi, I parked at Barnet Hospital in Hertfordshire two weeks ago and today I have received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) from ParkingEye.

Initially on arriving in the car park, I paid £4 for four hours parking. I then returned; within the four hours, to put a further two hour ticket on my car. I paid £2, which I thought was the payment for two hours and I left the car park within the two hours.

I now find out that it costs £3 for two hours parking, so it turns out I only paid for an extra hour on the day. My fault that I misread the tariff. On the actual ticket (which I still have), it only displays the time when the ticket was purchased & the amount of money paid. If it had displayed the expiry time, I would have noticed that I needed to pay extra money.

Do you think I have a chance to appeal and successfully overturn the PCN?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Regards,

Kath
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    Read post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out more about the game you are now caught up in.

In there you will find a blue text template appeal already written for you.

Send that appeal unchanged - no additions or alterations necessary.

Send it as the vehicle's keeper.

At the same time complain to PALS at the hospital.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 11th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    • 10,686 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 11th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    2 weeks ago? Be specific

What day the the contravention occur?
    What is the date on the NtK?
    • Kaths
    • By Kaths 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kaths
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:45 PM
    Read post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out more about the game you are now caught up in.

In there you will find a blue text template appeal already written for you.

Send that appeal unchanged - no additions or alterations necessary.

Send it as the vehicle's keeper.

At the same time complain to PALS at the hospital.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Thanks for your helpful advice. 👍🏼
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Oct 18, 10:52 PM
    • 20,510 Posts
    • 32,421 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:52 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:52 PM
    Here's a link to a key case currently going through the county court system for this hospital and PE. Hopefully it might help you prepare fully for the worst case scenario, but you may be able to rescue it before it gets as far.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=120906

POPLA must be your main opportunity to get this killed off - I don't think
    PALS at Barnet are as helpful to patients as we see most other hospitals are. Must be a cause of shame!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 12th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    MistyZ
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    The advantage of complaining to the landowner is that you can do just that: complain. You are much freer to 'tell it like it is' than is the case at the appeal stages.

And in this case it's not a landowner you need to complain / explain to, but PALS who are used to understanding the 'patient/visitor experience'(!). If you were stressed on that day, tell them. If the hospital visit took much longer than expected, tell them. What comes across in your post is that this was a genuine error on the part of someone who really tried to pay the correct amount and who did in fact pay £1 an hour for parking, if you can convey that to PALS they should cooperate. The 'system' does sound confusing and things that are confusing on a good day can be ten times worse when visiting a hospital.

Don't let Barnet Hospital PALS' possibly poor reputation put you off. Just do your best to get them on side and emphasise that you are strongly requesting that they cancel the charge. I found a success story on this forum quite quickly:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5587479&highlight=parking+eye+bar net+hospital#topofpage

Meanwhile, of course, enhance your leisure time by reading everything relevant here and ensure that you send the blue text appeal on the Newbies's thread to the parking company within the time frame. Oh, and one more important thing, don't reveal who was driving, not even to PALS. You complain to them as an occupant of the car on that day. You should edit your post here substituting 'the driver' for 'I' and refer to yourself as the Registered Keeper, assuming that you are.
    Last edited by MistyZ; 12-10-2018 at 9:57 AM.
    • Kaths
    • By Kaths 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kaths
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    Thank you for your comments. All the information is very helpful.
    Iíll post how I get on in due course.

Kind regards,
    Kath
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10,686 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:47 AM
    Thank you for your comments. All the information is very helpful.
    Iíll post how I get on in due course.

Kind regards,
    Kath
    Originally posted by Kaths
    Kath - I specifically asked for the date of contravention and date on the NtK to eliminate the possibility of the NtK being served out of time - a 100%b sure fire winner.

Check yourself if you don't want to put the dates on here. It needs to be 14 working days starting on the day after the contravention, but not a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday. See POFA for details or put the dates up for us to check.
    • Kaths
    • By Kaths 15th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kaths
    • 15th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    Date of event
    • 15th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    The date that I parked inBarnet Hospital carpark was 26th September 2018.
    The date the PCN was issued was 9th October 2018.

Thanks for your help.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 15th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    • 10,686 Posts
    • 10,077 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    The date that I parked inBarnet Hospital carpark was 26th September 2018.
    The date the PCN was issued was 9th October 2018.

Thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by Kaths
    Just as well that you answered that because it looks like they are OUT OF TIME !! and can't pursue you as Registered Keeper, as long as you don't admit who was driving.

POFA says

8. 4)The notice must be given by—
    (a)handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current address for service for the keeper, within the relevant period; or
    (b)sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.
    (5)The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended

so, day after parking is

1 27th
    2 28th
    3 29th
    4 30th
    5 1st
    6 2nd
    7 3rd
    8 4th
    9 5th
    10 6th
    11 7th
    12 8th
    13 9th
    14 10th

So to comply, they needed to get the NtK in your hands by 10th October

But POFA also says

A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted;

So to comply they needed to have sent the NtK on the 8th October, not the 9th.

You need a single point appeal on Out of Time. Just adapt the winning point on post #3185 here on the POPLA DECISIONS sticky thread https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4488337&page=160
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,368Posts Today

8,040Users online

Martin's Twitter