Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 51Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Like the February Correction ?
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    Like the February Correction ? 11th Oct 18 at 1:17 PM
    Or the start of a big crash ?

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........
Page 7
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I agree with all of that.

Re diversifying income streams, I have a small DC pot in my investments bucket, which I'd certainly consider eventually annuitising, to add some base-load income, to be joined later by state pension.
    Originally posted by seacaitch
    My base retirement income comes from rent and a DB pension which means I can be a bit blaze when my DC pots and regular equity investments lose money - and I'm grateful for that, but my plan was always to arrange things so that I don't have to rely on drawdown. SP will be a nice income bump when it starts.
    Last edited by bostonerimus; 13-10-2018 at 8:51 PM.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 14th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 7,265 Thanks
    poppy10
    Thats without dividends right? With Dividends reinvested the FTSE 100 is up 165% over the last 10 years (rather than 82% without dividends)
    Originally posted by Prism
    FTSE is up only 59% without dividends over the past ten years (4394->6995)
    • MK62
    • By MK62 14th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    MK62
    Originally posted by poppy10

Depends which day you use.......the FTSE100 was in the middle of an extremely volatile period 10 years ago.....

On Friday 10th Oct 2008, it dropped nearly 9%, but was up over 8% the next trading day, Monday 13th Oct 2008.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Oct 18, 4:49 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    Alexland
    Depends which day you use.......the FTSE100 was in the middle of an extremely volatile period 10 years ago.....
    Originally posted by MK62
    I remember putting a 5k bonus into my pension about that time as a punt as I wasn't really aware what a good decision I was making. Looking back I should have extended the mortgage to invest. What an opportunity!

Alex
    • Prism
    • By Prism 14th Oct 18, 4:49 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Prism
    Originally posted by poppy10
    Well yes, but since you do in fact get dividends the increase without doesn't mean much
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 14th Oct 18, 5:18 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    Well yes, but since you do in fact get dividends the increase without doesn't mean much
    Originally posted by Prism
    Probably silly question but if I invest in a FTSE100 tracker index like the HSBC one do i get the dividends?
    • masonic
    • By masonic 14th Oct 18, 5:27 PM
    • 9,986 Posts
    • 7,228 Thanks
    masonic
    Probably silly question but if I invest in a FTSE100 tracker index like the HSBC one do i get the dividends?
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    Yes all mainstream index tracker funds and ETFs include dividends, either added to the value of your investment or paid out as income.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 14th Oct 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10,619 Posts
    • 9,525 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I'm not selling anything let alone crystallizing losses. My strategy over the last year has been to take divi's from individual holdings and buying ITs. I am tempted to click the div reinvestment button but am more likely to continue with my previous invest in IT/diversified products strategy and let the individual holdings just float up and down with the tide.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 14th Oct 18, 5:58 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I'm being thick... What are ITs in this context?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • masonic
    • By masonic 14th Oct 18, 6:01 PM
    • 9,986 Posts
    • 7,228 Thanks
    masonic
    I'm being thick... What are ITs in this context?
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Investment Trusts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

1,826Users online

Martin's Twitter