Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BoyWithTheBlues
    • By BoyWithTheBlues 11th Oct 18, 12:12 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BoyWithTheBlues
    Pay gap between leaving / starting job
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:12 PM
    Pay gap between leaving / starting job 11th Oct 18 at 12:12 PM
    Hello,

Leaving currently employer who pays 15th of each month (half arrears, half advance). It so happens I'm leaving in the middle of a month so my final pay will be a half pay. Most of which will be required for monthly bills.

I begin with a new employer who pays on the last Friday of the month. They state cutoff for payroll is two weeks prior (making it tomorrow). I will start the Monday after this. Chances I will make payroll for Fri 26 Oct or am I likely to have to wait until Fri 30 Nov which would be quite a stretch, to say the least?

I will, of course, clarify with my new employer on my start date - however any shared experiences of this type of situation would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 4,943 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    You will miss the payroll. You could try asking your employer if they will make a supplementary payment in respect of your salary from your start date until the end of October - some will, some won't.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 11th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    • 5,495 Posts
    • 9,456 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    In that situation most employers have the ability to "catch up" one offs like new starters. Cut off dates are more commonly for routine transactions like expenses claims or overtime, etc. That's not to say they will - must that many will. You will need to ask them.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    Really depends on the company. In my current job I joined 1 day before pay day so had to wait 6 weeks for my first pay. However the job before this one made a manual adjustment to help me out so I didn't have to wait. It's probably worth speaking to your manager / HR to see if they are willing to make a one off special payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,435Posts Today

7,037Users online

Martin's Twitter