Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 11th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 7Thanks
    OyzterShell
    please stop using the wrong database for credit checking
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    please stop using the wrong database for credit checking 11th Oct 18 at 12:08 PM
    I have contacted MSE about this before and had conversation at length with Experian.

The problem remains: MSE is using the wrong database for credit checking.

I am now writing in public to let MSE know that I have written to my local councilor (who, BTW, knows that I am on the electoral register and what my address is) and that MSE really should have sorted themselves out by now.

Why?

Because MSE's use of an inappropriate address database for credit checking may drive people to seek credit from bad lenders which is, I hope most will agree, the antithesis of what MSE is about.

Please do your job, MSE, use the right address database for credit purposes.

BIG HINT: the Postcode Address File is *NOT* intended for credit checking purposes. Got it?

I am sad it has got to the point where my local politician has to get involved because otherwise I do support and largely agree with MSE.
Page 1
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 11th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760771&highlight=electoral+regis %20%20ter

if people think I am making a new problem seem like an old one
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    MSE do not credit check.
    They just pull data from Experian.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at though?

Of course addresses are used as part of credit checking someone
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 11th Oct 18, 12:18 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:18 PM
    MSE Credit club simply pulls information from Experian - it will display only what Experian hold on file for you. I'm not quite sure what your ultimate issue is, but if you are concerned that you are registered on the ER and this is not visible on your file, then you will need to hassle both your local council and Experian to make sure it is reported and updated on your files.

Also don't forget to check your credit reports from Equifax and TransUnion as well!
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 11th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    jimbo26
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    The problem is you are complaining to the wrong company, looking at your other posts reinforces this.

MSE only get the details from Experian, so if there is a problem with the data this is a matter for Experian to resolve, MSE CAN NOT resolve this, so it's pointless getting your local councillor to contact MSE.

It seems as though there is a problem with how Experian is recording your address, or with the database they are using to verify your address.

It is possible this has nothing to do with Experian either. If they use an external address database the issue may lie there.

What was the result of the lengthy conversation with Experian? What did they say about the issues? What have they said they are going to do to rectify it?
    Last edited by jimbo26; 11-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Oct 18, 1:03 PM
    • 15,877 Posts
    • 14,929 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:03 PM
    MSE only take information from the credit reference agencies.

If they are showing your information incorrectly, you need to contact the creditor or companies concerned.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 11th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    jimbo26
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    Just read your other thread, and I fear I have wasted my time as you were given the same advice 9 months ago, but are still persisting in the belief it is an issue with MSE. Anyway I wish your local councillor well in his attempt to get the wrong company to resolve the issue of another company.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 12th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:48 PM
    MSE only take information from the credit reference agencies.

If they are showing your information incorrectly, you need to contact the creditor or companies concerned.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Sometimes companies who re-share do make a mess of it...and they dont always simply report the information they are given.

MSE is displaying the wrong infor for me...the CRA they get info from is correct.

I've had a long on going battle with Credit wise aka capital one who has been reporting complete fiction as Equifax and Ombudsman and ICO all agree...will Credit wise change it,no...reason why is they simply report what they are told,despite not being told anything of the sort..lol

Honestly couldn't make it up....the only saving grace is as the ombudsman pointed out,at least no one can see the information other than you....which makes me wonder why Credit wise even bother having a website if it makes no revenue from it.
    Its really rather simple...I cant spell and your a Bully..Hang your head in shame.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Oct 18, 11:56 PM
    • 15,877 Posts
    • 14,929 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:56 PM
    Sometimes companies who re-share do make a mess of it...and they dont always simply report the information they are given.

MSE is displaying the wrong infor for me...the CRA they get info from is correct.

I've had a long on going battle with Credit wise aka capital one who has been reporting complete fiction as Equifax and Ombudsman and ICO all agree...will Credit wise change it,no...reason why is they simply report what they are told,despite not being told anything of the sort..lol

Honestly couldn't make it up....the only saving grace is as the ombudsman pointed out,at least no one can see the information other than you....which makes me wonder why Credit wise even bother having a website if it makes no revenue from it.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Of course anomaly’s will crop up from time to time, with the amount of data processed by these companies, mistakes are bound to happen, nothing is 100% foolproof.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 13th Oct 18, 7:37 AM
    • 693 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Of course anomaly’s will crop up from time to time, with the amount of data processed by these companies, mistakes are bound to happen, nothing is 100% foolproof.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Yes agree that they can make a mistake and thats just life...however im talking about since April this year and despite Equifax stating very clearly the report Credit wise have generated is different to that supplied,in fact they have changed the details three times now and all are wrong and negative.

So yes anomaly’s will crop up occasionally,but can be corrected at anytime...however as stated above ive had equifax/ombudsman and ICO all involved and still they continue to refuse to alter the information.

Honestly whats next..if they ignore the Ombudsman and ICO what chance do i have at getting it resolved..lol
    Its really rather simple...I cant spell and your a Bully..Hang your head in shame.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Oct 18, 10:49 AM
    • 15,877 Posts
    • 14,929 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Yes agree that they can make a mistake and thats just life...however im talking about since April this year and despite Equifax stating very clearly the report Credit wise have generated is different to that supplied,in fact they have changed the details three times now and all are wrong and negative.

So yes anomaly’s will crop up occasionally,but can be corrected at anytime...however as stated above ive had equifax/ombudsman and ICO all involved and still they continue to refuse to alter the information.

Honestly whats next..if they ignore the Ombudsman and ICO what chance do i have at getting it resolved..lol
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2

I do sympathise, its bad enough when the system fails, but when the mechanisms to put that failure right, also fail, where else can you turn.

• OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    Experian have corrected their records to match the Electoral Role, MSE say they won't.

This is an MSE invented problem.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:27 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    You are incorrect. Experian *have* my correct address, MSE holds an incorrect address for me and won't allow me and others to correct them.

It goes like this, I live in a flat in a house which can be represented as

123A Street

Flat A, 123 Street

get the idea?

MSE have chosen to use the PAF date picker which is *not* the appropriate address DB for credit checking. Credit checking is about a *PERSON* not a delivery point <-- technical term if you know what the PAF is for.

MSE recognises my delivery point (in broad terms a post code plus a bit) but not me or anyone else beyond the delivery point. This would be fine if I wanted land mail from them but is plain wrong for credit checking.

My correspondence with Experian suggests this wasn't their idea and that it is MSE that chose to use the wrong db.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    I have checked with my council and Experian. MSE is holding an incorrect record.

It took a bit of persuasion but eventually Experian and my council and the Electoral Register all agreed.

Who is wrong? MSE

Why? bad db
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Oct 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Hi OP,

We've established you have a problem with MSE Credit Club and the information held by Experian, when I advised you in the other post back in January, to go and check the details held with the other CRAs (Clearscore being the one with Equifax data and Noddle being the other with Call Credits data), what results did they give you. If they are correct and Experian is wrong, you know your issue is with Experian. If they are all incorrect then that narrows it down to being the ER details being sent by the local council are inaccurate.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Oct 18, 11:37 AM
    • 15,877 Posts
    • 14,929 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Experian have corrected their records to match the Electoral Role, MSE say they won't.

This is an MSE invented problem.
    Originally posted by OyzterShell

To whom at MSE have you spoken about this ?

• OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:38 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    The problem is you are complaining to the wrong company, looking at your other posts reinforces this.

MSE only get the details from Experian, so if there is a problem with the data this is a matter for Experian to resolve, MSE CAN NOT resolve this, so it's pointless getting your local councillor to contact MSE.

It seems as though there is a problem with how Experian is recording your address, or with the database they are using to verify your address.

It is possible this has nothing to do with Experian either. If they use an external address database the issue may lie there.

What was the result of the lengthy conversation with Experian? What did they say about the issues? What have they said they are going to do to rectify it?
    Originally posted by jimbo26
    I am getting sick of this. Experian corrected their DB to match me against the Electoral Role. Experian have said that MSE must correct the DB they use for referrals.

In private correspondence MSE say words along the lines of "we'll think about this".

Experian aren't to blame here. The council aren't to blame.

MSE have messed up.
    Last edited by OyzterShell; 13-10-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: facts
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:49 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    Equifax are fine, Experian are fine, it is MSE that is doing something wrong. Experian were distracted by me using MSE but know who I am now.

to be clear MSE is using the wrong DB and in private they admit it.

But that is no use if you're the person that just got refused credit and didn't have the additional knowledge to check if the credit reference agencies were being passed the correct credit reference address by MSE

I was able to work it out.

Theoretically MSE is for good lenders not bad but this flies in the face of that.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    you're obviously my boss on the forums, however, I won't say in public something I have been told in private unless really necessary.

I can give an e-mail address at MSE but it wouldn't identify the individual

if you have the trust of MSE themselves then let me know, I can give you some names inside but I don't think they're going to show in this thread
    Last edited by OyzterShell; 13-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 13th Oct 18, 12:05 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    The credit ref agencies had the right details, it was MSE that was passing them incorrect / non matching details because MSE has chosen to use the wrong address database.

In Experian's (Experian being the people doing the credit check behind MSE Credit Club) case we worked this through, my details were correct with them *until* I signed up for MSE Credit Club.

Equifax weren't affected, I checked with them too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

6,077Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin