Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 13,224Posts
    • 24,597Thanks
    Sleazy
    Engineering Marvels - What's your favourite?
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    Engineering Marvels - What's your favourite? 11th Oct 18 at 9:00 AM
    Yesterday marked the 90th anniversary of the opening of The Tyne Bridge.

Tyne Bridge

A magnificent example of one of the UK's engineering marvels.

There are many other examples too - Which is your favourite UK large structure?
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
Page 3
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Oct 18, 6:18 PM
    • 13,224 Posts
    • 24,597 Thanks
    Sleazy
    You have reminded me of the wembley arch which i believe was made by Cleveland bridge.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    A modern iconic image ....

Shame that the Twin Towers had to go though ...

Nabob Of None
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Oct 18, 6:31 PM
    • 13,224 Posts
    • 24,597 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Then there's the 'Angel Of The North' ....

Nabob Of None
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Oct 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Engineering Marvels - What's your favourite?
    I don't have any particular favourites but here are three that haven't yet had a mention that impress me.

London's Tower Bridge, a Victorian marvel. I did the tour about ten years ago. I would strongly recommend that to anyone interested in engineering.

The London Eye. I am so glad it was allowed to stay in place and not be demolished after five years. I've been on it twice.

Brighton's British Airways i360. I went up it last year. The views are superb.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Oct 18, 6:34 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,501 Thanks
    Pyxis
    And, of course, the ISS!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    • 13,224 Posts
    • 24,597 Thanks
    Sleazy
    And, of course, the ISS!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I'm glad that the two astronauts escaped disaster and returned to earth safely yesterday when Soyuz malfunctioned.
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,501 Thanks
    Pyxis
    ....Not to mention The Panama and Suez canals.

Oh! And of course, the good old Chunnel, which I still haven't been through, yet!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Oct 18, 6:40 PM
    • 28,253 Posts
    • 15,558 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The museum of science and industry is worth a visit. Its in manchester. I went about ten years ago and loved it.
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 12th Oct 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ruperts
    Some fantastic examples in this thread. Unfortunately now just remnants of a time when Britain was a country with the confidence to go out into the world with big ambitions and actually build things. Nowadays even if a project is cheap enough to satisfy the Tory's insecure austerity agenda, politicians spend years leaching away funds before a spade breaks ground on even the simplest of projects. You want impressive new engineering now, you need to leave Britain and head east to the new modern world, unfortunately.
    Last edited by ruperts; 12-10-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Oct 18, 7:25 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,501 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Some fantastic examples in this thread. Unfortunately now just remnants of a time when Britain was a country with the confidence to go out into the world with big ambitions and actually build things. Nowadays even if a project is cheap enough to satisfy the Tory's insecure austerity agenda, politicians spend years leaching away funds before a spade breaks ground on even the simplest of projects. You want impressive new engineering now, you need to leave Britain and head east to the new modern world, unfortunately.
    Originally posted by ruperts
    There's that tunnelling thing going on in London.....that's pretty impressive, considering that there's a huge city sitting on it!

Plus that Blob building in Brum.

Actually, when you think about it, all the ancient cathedrals were pretty damn near miracles of engineering for their time, considering that everyone lived in wooden huts and they only had hand tools, or at best, horse-powered tools. All that stone vaulting and those arched windows.

Plus the dome of St. Paul's cathedral was quite a feat for its time.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Oct 18, 9:39 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Must you bring your own political agenda into this interesting thread?

Post in CJ's comedy thread if you enjoy juvenile rubbish and leave this thread to the grown ups.

Thank you.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 54,186 Posts
    • 149,896 Thanks
    colinw
    Then there's the 'Angel Of The North' ....

Originally posted by Sleazy
    I am not keen on the arms / wings
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 13th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    ruperts
    Must you bring your own political agenda into this interesting thread?

Post in CJ's comedy thread if you enjoy juvenile rubbish and leave this thread to the grown ups.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    Fair enough, there are plenty of threads for politics, I suppose. All i would say is that if you consider a shallow appreciation for the aesthetics of engineering "grown up", and a willingness & ability to critically analyse the processes and decisions that make such projects actually happen "juvenile", then good for you, ignorance is bliss, but you've got it the wrong way round I'm afraid.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Oct 18, 3:12 PM
    • 39,976 Posts
    • 147,501 Thanks
    Pyxis
    And what about the Pyramids?

Look how long they've been standing, although I understand they were once classed in polished white stone, which had been robbed over the millennia, apart from the highest pieces.

Imagine them, shining pure white in the distance! Wow!

Then there was the Roman road network across all of Europe.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 13th Oct 18, 3:13 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Fair enough, there are plenty of threads for politics, I suppose. All i would say is that if you consider a shallow appreciation for the aesthetics of engineering "grown up", and a willingness & ability to critically analyse the processes and decisions that make such projects actually happen "juvenile", then good for you, ignorance is bliss, but you've got it the wrong way round I'm afraid.
    Ignorance certainly is bliss if you think what you posted is anything resembling: 'critically analyse the processes and decisions that make such projects actually happen'.

This is The Arms, absolutely the right place to discuss the simple aesthetics of engineering.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Oct 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 26,597 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm quietly tickled that our hospitals are not considered engineering marvels. Not least as wherever our wicked old empire spread, we took the hospital builders with us & so there is a healthy engineering trade carrying on producing fiendishly specific bolts and gas fittings, hospitals for the use of and sending them out all over the place as whilst the politicians and names etc may have changed, you still need a specific thread bolt to run a hospital oxygen pipe.

A military medic I know, on holiday in Hong Kong, got a frantic call from his wife when their daughter broke her arm. Be wish you in 20 minutes he assured her. Got to the hospital, ignored nearly every door, started at the plant room & figured his way to A&E. Arrived three minutes early & with a fascinated plumber in tow. Not wholly convinced his wife recalls this As Fondly, since he & plumber spent the waiting time talking ducting...

Respectful salutations to Stonehenge & brisk gestures to Castell Coch which just proves that money is no cue to Taste let alone Historical Accuracy. Corking Dr Who set though...
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 13th Oct 18, 4:35 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    I love all of the examples given and love anything like this - buildings, structures, planes, trains, buses, you name it. I guess it's "never too late" but if I had my time again I'd love to be an engineer.

The London Underground never ceases to amaze me. Every time my mum and I go on it, do we comment on how clever it is and was, for when it was built, compared with technology and machinery being used to build Crossrail now. Especially the really old lines/tunnels/walkways, etc. I'm such a big kid when I go on it. Personal favourites are:

Tower Bridge
    Laxey Wheel
    The Shard
    Forth Bridges (not been over the new one yet)
    Falkirk Wheel
    The Kelpies
    The Flying Scotsman
    Mallard/Sir Nigel Gresley/all the other A4s
    ISS
    Space Shuttle
    Concorde
    Palace of Westminster/Big Ben
    Lloyds of London
    The Walkie-Talkie
    The ArcelorMittal Orbit
    The London Eye
    The Gherkin
    (basically any tall structure in London)
    Empire State Building
    Clifton Suspension Bridge

Saw the new Bloomberg HQ on the news other night when it won the RIBA Building of the Year Award and that set my little building-nerd heart a-flutter.

Also, honourable mention for the scaffolding currently around Big Ben - a work of art and feat of engineering in itself given that it's not attached to the tower itself. I also have a thing for tower cranes.
    Xmas 2018 #8 372 / 365 * (2017 496.53; 2016 424.32) * SPCNo.12 #66 (11 480.95; 10 682.31; 9 442.64)
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Oct 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,382 Thanks
    coffeehound
    The Royal Liver Building is really impressive. IIRC it was a pioneering design in its day. You don't realise how big it is until you get close

• colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 18, 5:04 PM
    • 54,186 Posts
    • 149,896 Thanks
    colinw
    The Royal Liver Building is really impressive. IIRC it was a pioneering design in its day. You don't realise how big it is until you get close

Originally posted by coffeehound
    I do like that building and the surrounding area
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 18, 6:42 PM
    • 13,224 Posts
    • 24,597 Thanks
    Sleazy
    We seem to have the history that The Americans would like to have.
    Even if we're the poor relatives, I wouldn't swap although I must admit that their natural wonders are more spectacular than ours IMHO.
    Nabob Of None
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 5th Nov 18, 10:24 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    In middlesbrough theres the transportenr bridge and the newport bridge, two seperate bridges.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Sorry I have just found this thread again. I did not know Middlesbrough had a Newport bridge, the Newport transporter bridge I am referring to is in Newport, Wales.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,237Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin