Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    • 12,569Posts
    • 23,112Thanks
    Sleazy
    Engineering Marvels - What's your favourite?
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:00 AM
    Engineering Marvels - What's your favourite? 11th Oct 18 at 9:00 AM
    Yesterday marked the 90th anniversary of the opening of The Tyne Bridge.

Tyne Bridge

A magnificent example of one of the UK's engineering marvels.

There are many other examples too - Which is your favourite UK large structure?
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
Page 2
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Oct 18, 6:16 PM
    • 12,569 Posts
    • 23,112 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I suppose like all great Empires, the time of the British has come and gone. We were fortunate in that 'we' had the Industrial revolution with all that came beside it, then the height of Empire with associated benefits

It was said to me once that apart from the Romans, the British Empire had the most positive effect through the ages. Seems fairly reasonable to me, though I often wonder had Alexander The Great not died so young, whether the Greeks would have been the dominant power instead of The Romans.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 16,524 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Not so much admire as respect it has to be Stonehenge, if you consider when and why it was built and how long it has lasted doing the same job for all that time, it has to be considered as one of Britain's great engineering marvels.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.2
    Total so far - 3257.1
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 11th Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 13,938 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I suppose like all great Empires, the time of the British has come and gone. We were fortunate in that 'we' had the Industrial revolution with all that came beside it, then the height of Empire with associated benefits

It was said to me once that apart from the Romans, the British Empire had the most positive effect through the ages. Seems fairly reasonable to me, though I often wonder had Alexander The Great not died so young, whether the Greeks would have been the dominant power instead of The Romans.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    I reckon you're right mate.
    I think the days of national empires have gone.
    Apart from anything else we mostly took notice of the lessons of two world wars in the 20th century I reckon.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • decbel
    • By decbel 11th Oct 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    decbel
    If you see one 'benefit' of the British Empire in railway building in India it wasn't for the benefit of Indians. A few collaborators benefited no doubt.

Rail in India was built to cart off India's stolen wealth to the sea ports for export.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 39,446 Posts
    • 145,257 Thanks
    Pyxis
    However I always thought that the Millennium Dome was basically an exorbitantly expensive marquee for the invited to have a big millennium bash in. So not a fan.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    That was the media putting the knife in.

What do you mean, the 'invited'? It was open to the public all year.

It was fantastic. I went seven times during 2000 and was there on the very last public day, then I went to buy loads of stuff when they were selling off the inside.

Don't knock it unless you've been to it.

From an engineering point of view, it was the biggest single span building or something, at the time. I don't know if it still holds that record.

It is the eighth largest building in the world, by usable volume.

The dome is one of the largest of its type in the world.[2] Externally, it appears as a large white marquee with twelve 100 m-high yellow support towers, one for each month of the year, or each hour of the clock face, representing the role played by Greenwich Mean Time.

In plan view it is circular, 365 m (one metre for each day in a standard year) in diameter.
    It has become one of the United Kingdom's most recognizable landmarks. It can easily be seen on aerial photographs of London. Its exterior is reminiscent of the Dome of Discovery built for the Festival of Britain in 1951.

The entire roof structure weighs less than the air contained within the building.

The canopy is made of PTFE-coated glass fibre fabric, a durable and weather-resistant plastic, and is 52 m high in the middle – one metre for each week of the year.
    UNQUOTE

Last edited by Pyxis; 11-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 11th Oct 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,201 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    sillyvixen

The Tees (Middlesborough) Transporter Bridge
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    I love the Newport transporter bridge, wonderful example of engineering, I have never been to the Middlesbrough area, but if I did the tees transporter would be top of my to do list.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Oct 18, 11:03 PM
    • 28,199 Posts
    • 15,472 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Nnt sure what my favourite is but i was impressed by the humber bridge recently.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Oct 18, 11:05 PM
    • 28,199 Posts
    • 15,472 Thanks
    donnajunkie

The Tees (Middlesborough) Transporter Bridge
    Middlesbrough not middlesborough.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Oct 18, 11:09 PM
    • 28,199 Posts
    • 15,472 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I love the Newport transporter bridge, wonderful example of engineering, I have never been to the Middlesbrough area, but if I did the tees transporter would be top of my to do list.
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    In middlesbrough theres the transporter bridge and the newport bridge, two seperate bridges.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Oct 18, 2:50 PM
    • 53,598 Posts
    • 148,254 Thanks
    colinw
    We have exported so much as well from the Sydney Harbour Bridge to the bridge at Victoria Falls to many more, a lot from the North East and Middlesbrough in particular
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Oct 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I thought the only bridge we had exported was London Bridge!

• colinw
    • By colinw 12th Oct 18, 3:04 PM
    • 53,598 Posts
    • 148,254 Thanks
    colinw
    I thought the only bridge we had exported was London Bridge!

I suppose we exported the expertise and the steel in the case of the Sydney and Victoria Falls bridges
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 9,867 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    Its the only thing to see or do in boro

We have exported so much as well from the Sydney Harbour Bridge
    Originally posted by colinw
    Sadly not true.
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    • 53,598 Posts
    • 148,254 Thanks
    colinw
    Its the only thing to see or do in boro

Sadly not true.
    Originally posted by Exile_geordie
    I mean in steel and expertise, I know the Sydney Harbour Bridge is not based on the Tyne Bridge, it is copied off Hells gate in New York

• Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Oct 18, 3:21 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I suppose we exported the expertise and the steel in the case of the Sydney and Victoria Falls bridges
    Wasn't meaning to disagree with you Colin, just making a joke.

I hadn't appreciated the fact that SHB was built by the Middlesbrough firm of Dorman Long and Co, or that 79% of the steel came from the UK.

Or that the Victoria Falls Bridge had been pre-fabricated by the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Company in Darlington.

One of the things I like about this forum is I learn something new most days.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Oct 18, 3:22 PM
    • 53,598 Posts
    • 148,254 Thanks
    colinw

I hadn't appreciated the fact that SHB was built by the Middlesbrough firm of Dorman Long and Co, or that 79% of the steel came from the UK.

Or that the Victoria Falls Bridge had been pre-fabricated by the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Company in Darlington.

It was a real hot bed then Middlesbrough, I am sure it was one of the fastest growing places at one point due to the steel and iron works
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Oct 18, 3:24 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 6,136 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Credit where its due though. the Aussies made the rivets in Melbourne, and without them the whole thing would fall apart.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Oct 18, 3:41 PM
    • 53,598 Posts
    • 148,254 Thanks
    colinw
    Credit where its due though. the Aussies made the rivets in Melbourne, and without them the whole thing would fall apart.
    Lets hear it for the Aussie Rivets
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    • 39,446 Posts
    • 145,257 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Lets hear it for the Aussie Rivets
    Rivet rivet.

Lots of Yankee frogs around here.

Let's hear it for the British frogs........

Croak croak
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Oct 18, 6:11 PM
    • 28,199 Posts
    • 15,472 Thanks
    donnajunkie

You have reminded me of the wembley arch which i believe was made by Cleveland bridge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

7,906Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin