Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Oct 18, 5:21 AM
    • 109Posts
    • 305Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Curbing my Impulse Spending...
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:21 AM
    Curbing my Impulse Spending... 11th Oct 18 at 5:21 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have been stalking these forums for the past few days and thought I'd join and do a diary. I find "reporting in" makes me more accountable which in turn helps me to stay disciplined.

I have the following debt below which I am eager to pay off and not have the niggling feeling in the back of my mind. Plus as I'm 24 I seriously need to think about credit scores for mortgages etc.

Credit Card A 258.78 0% Interest - This will be paid off on 22nd of Oct
    Credit Card B 3144.96 0% Interest until 21/03/2021
    Credit Card C 3564.05 0% Interest until October 2021

My currently salary situation is a bit of an odd one. Before August my salary was 1900 per month however I am currently seconded to a project and have been in Australia since August which comes with an additional 1000 per month allowance meaning my salary per month is 2900. I am returning to the UK in two weeks where this allowance may potentially continue for another 3 months.

This additional allowance has been an actual god send and has allowed me to also start savings as well as paying off my debts. As my IF periods are for another 2-2 and a half years, I figured saving made sense.

My question is, if I am paying 100 each off card B and C each month and saving 300 a month, should I really be decreasing the amount I'm saving (say to 100 per month) and increasing the amount I pay off my debts (say to 200 off each debt per month)?

I'm really hoping my allowance will continue for the next 3 months and I should know by Friday if this is the case. When I'm on my normal salary of 1900, after bills and debts have been paid there isn't a huge amount left over however I definitely need to re-examine my spending because I know I'm a big spender. I have already started to re-examine my spending and there are a few areas I can cut costs.

I'm planning to update this diary every few days so I can discuss and use it to encourage me to cut my spending! Reading everyone else's diaries and success stories has also inspired me.

I've also started an anonymous blog to keep me super accountable which if you're interested can be found at wordpress and is called The Impulse Spender, it won't let me post the URL

Thanks for reading!

Impulse Spender
Page 4
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 6th Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Today was a NSD so 2/31 for the month. Yesterday I went shopping and was a bit spendy but I expected it. I had vouchers to use so I ended up getting 2 blouses, work trousers and a dress for 50 which I thought was really good. I also used boots points to pay for the skin stuff so only ended up spending 15 there too. I did pay for lunch which was just under 40 for my boyfriend and I as he paid for dinner the previous night and our train fare into town.

In the past, I would have put the spending straight on the card and thought "Oh I'll just pay it off later..." which would never happen so I feel I've definitely improved as I never use my CC anymore.

Going to be on a tighter leash this week, I have to get some grocery bits tomorrow but then the rest of the week should be NSD. Definitely avoiding the coffee shop next week.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 107/3564.05, MBNA CC - 520/3144.96, Savings - 300/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Jan 19, 8:20 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Oops, haven’t updated for a week. Need to get back on that New Year Promise.

The past week has had a few spends, someone was leaving so went out for a lunch and then that same day in the evening I’d planned to catch up with a couple of friends. 2 meals out in one day, I mean I like food but even that’s a bit much for me.

Yesterday was a NSD so that’s 3/31 for January. Need to get a few bits from Morris today but I am expecting Monday and Tuesday to be NSDs.

I have been sticking to my 2019 promise of getting back into running. Although it’s so frustrating because I can’t run like I did 4/5 months ago when I was in Australia. I just want to be back at that level but I’m having to start again. Ah well, these things take time.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 107/3564.05, MBNA CC - 520/3144.96, Savings - 300/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 16th Jan 19, 1:01 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Bought breakfast and a coffee on Monday which set me back 5.55, need to get out the habit of feeling like I need to buy breakfast to kickstart my week.

Yesterday was a NSD so that's 4/31 for Jan now, pretty sure today will be the same as I'm working from home so no temptations to pop out and spend especially when the weather is so miserable.

I'm really enjoying my new job so far. Definitely needed a new challenge and this is working out really well at the moment.

I get paid on Monday so will know my new salary then, and so will be posting a SOA just so I can see where my spending is going. Need to have a full clear out as my room and flat are getting me down with the amount of 'junk' I've accumlated in the past few years. Definitely need to watch that Marie Kondo on Netflix to sort myself out, everytime I look at something I need to ask "Does this spark joy?" and if not, then away it goes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

935Posts Today

8,124Users online

Martin's Twitter