Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Comp2
    • By Comp2 10th Oct 18, 7:45 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Comp2
    Insurance renewal
    • 10th Oct 18, 7:45 PM
    Insurance renewal 10th Oct 18 at 7:45 PM
    We bought a small car as a run around and after owning it for just under 12 months sold it. We paid the year premium up front as we didn't want to get caught in the auto renewal palava.

Anyway, the insurance company sent auto renewal papers to an email address we no longer use and automatically renewed even though they did not take any payment as they obviously didn't have bank details.

They wrote saying we owed them 50 and said we need to prove we sold the car. Then wrote saying we owed them 100 and are now phoning several times a day saying And passed it over to their debt collectors.

I don't understand how they can renew a policy for a car we don't have and charge us for a policy we didn't want. What are our rights please?
Page 3
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 12th Oct 18, 10:53 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Nobody asked me if I wanted to auto renew, it was in the reams of policy information that I will need to pay up and renew or contact them to cancel. Well I didn't need to cancel as my policy was up and I didn't contact them and pay. I think it's ambiguous.
    Originally posted by Comp2

I would say if you push this with them they will bring out the tape of your original telephone call with something along the lines of:

Operator: Thanks for purchasing your insurance with us today, can I help you with anything else?
    Comp2: No thanks thats all
    Operator: OK well I have to ask you to stay on the line and listen to a pre recorded message regarding your terms and conditions
    Comp2 OK no problem
    Recorded message: Thank you for purch.....
    *Comp2 hangs up*

Yes, you had 14 days to cancel after renewing, but you didn't? So cover continued until cancelled by the insurer, at which point there's a cancellation charge, a pro rata charge and a need for you to declare going forwards.

If it's a big insurer, there's basically no chance they didn't tell you at some point, else they would be inundated with complaints/court cases. They aren't stupid they know the way to maximize profit is to legally get you to auto renew onto a higher quote.

Yes, insurers push the fine line between good business and ethically grey areas, they hope people renew at higher and higher costs every year (and people do). But they haven't done anything wrong in the eyes of the law and so you are going to need to sort this out.
    • Comp2
    • By Comp2 12th Oct 18, 9:54 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Comp2
    I would say if you push this with them they will bring out the tape of your original telephone call with something along the lines of:

Operator: Thanks for purchasing your insurance with us today, can I help you with anything else?
    Comp2: No thanks thats all
    Operator: OK well I have to ask you to stay on the line and listen to a pre recorded message regarding your terms and conditions
    Comp2 OK no problem
    Recorded message: Thank you for purch.....
    *Comp2 hangs up*

Yes, you had 14 days to cancel after renewing, but you didn't? So cover continued until cancelled by the insurer, at which point there's a cancellation charge, a pro rata charge and a need for you to declare going forwards.

If it's a big insurer, there's basically no chance they didn't tell you at some point, else they would be inundated with complaints/court cases. They aren't stupid they know the way to maximize profit is to legally get you to auto renew onto a higher quote.

Yes, insurers push the fine line between good business and ethically grey areas, they hope people renew at higher and higher costs every year (and people do). But they haven't done anything wrong in the eyes of the law and so you are going to need to sort this out.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    They seriously did not ask at any point about auto renewal. Neither did they play me a recorded message. I get that they probably are acting within the law, it was in the small print. I honestly thought that as I'd paid up front that was that and I would receive a renewal reminder but they would not be able to act on it without a deposit. Obviously that is not the case.

The insurance company said, in the email confirming they had renewed and would require payment of 347 that if they did not receive payment within 7 days my policy would be cancelled and I would not be insured blah blah blah. So they charged a cancellation fee (thought it was 50 but it was 86). Is that not excessive?

Also the email confirming the original 12 months insurance said they would send a reminder. They did not. They renewed without any reminder. I have checked thoroughly for all emails from this company. I found financial ombudsmen which said icompanies should send renewal reminder in good time (3 weeks is good practise). I've always received in the post before now, not by email.

So if I have to pay, then so be it but obviously if I have any rights to question the amount I am going to want to do it.

BTW it's not that I'm so disorganised that I don't know what email I gave the insurance company. The point was I did not know this was standard practice so didn't expect to get email from them. I normally get things through the post anyway. I know when my insurance is up on my car. I sorned it and sold it.
    This is a broker btw not the actual insurer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,154Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin