Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 10th Oct 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,241Posts
    • 1,039Thanks
    pattycake
    Flu vaccine shortage
    • 10th Oct 18, 3:53 PM
    Flu vaccine shortage 10th Oct 18 at 3:53 PM
    I have normally heard from my surgery by now to go into have the flu jab. So I contacted them today to be told I would receive a letter shortly to have the jab in November. I expressed surprise at how late that was and was told it was because they are busy and if I wanted it before go to a pharmacy.

I duly enquiries in a couple of local pharmacies and as I need the over 65 vaccine, there is a shortage and they have no stock!

Bearing in mind that the vaccine takes 3 weeks to become effective, it will be well into flu season before I gain any protection. Seems a pretty poor show to me as the number of over 65s needing the jab should be known well in advance.

Is this shortage confined to my area, south east Cheshire or national problem?
Page 1
    • Ms Mop 123
    • By Ms Mop 123 10th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Ms Mop 123
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    I've just had mine done at Boots. I'm under 65 but due to health issues I have to have one. I live in Nottinghamshire and when I phoned to book it was told they hadn't got the one for over 65's in. Think they said they would be getting it in in November.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 10th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:54 PM
    I've just had mine done at Boots. I'm under 65 but due to health issues I have to have one. I live in Nottinghamshire and when I phoned to book it was told they hadn't got the one for over 65's in. Think they said they would be getting it in in November.
    Originally posted by Ms Mop 123
    Ok sounds like a national shortage then. Apparently the over 65 vaccine is a different composition to the one for younger patients.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 18, 4:56 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 11,606 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:56 PM
    I've heard that around here they don't have the vaccine for over 65s in stock either.

Seems strange to me that under 65s can get the jab no problem. I would have thought that overall its the over 65s that need it more.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 10th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    I've heard that around here they don't have the vaccine for over 65s in stock either.

Seems strange to me that under 65s can get the jab no problem. I would have thought that overall its the over 65s that need it more.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone

Precisely. The health authorities must not have ordered enough stock. My earlier point remains, they know how many over 65s there are!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 10th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    I didn't realise the vaccine was different for people over 65. How odd.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 10,787 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    All the vaccine must be down here.

I had mine at the Surgery on Saturday - it was like a military operation. Judging by the lists the receptionists had, they were expecting 150 patients that morning, maybe more.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    • 33,662 Posts
    • 39,774 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    The over 65 vaccine is different to the other one this year , they expect the final batch of over 65 vaccine in November

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/flu-jab-2018-what-is-the-new-flu-vaccine-in-the-uk-and-who-should-get-it-a3934296.html
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Saffythecat
    • By Saffythecat 11th Oct 18, 10:48 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Saffythecat
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:48 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 10:48 PM
    I’m in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband who’s a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th Oct 18, 10:45 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Northern Ireland no shortage, I get under 65 because of medical problems. I was chatting with the nurse who gave me mind and asked about the over 65 one. She said it contains something extra to help it absorb better into your system as the older you are many times things do not absorb as well as if you are younger.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 12th Oct 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    Im in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband whos a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.
    Originally posted by Saffythecat
    Do age 70+ patients have to pay for the flu jab in Scotland?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Oct 18, 2:59 PM
    • 9,162 Posts
    • 6,862 Thanks
    pmduk
    It was always known that there'd be problems getting stock of Fluad (the vaccine for over 65s). 40% of the annual requirement is due for delivery in November, I suspect it's better to wait until then rather than have an inferior product?
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 12th Oct 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    Ive now got my appointment through to have the flu jab. 10th November which is around 4 weeks later than in previous years.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 12th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 4,356 Thanks
    carlislelass
    I didn't realise the vaccine was different for people over 65. How odd.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    It is this year
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 12th Oct 18, 5:00 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    In Scotland, the flu jab is free for those 65+ but there's a different (better?!) vaccine for over 75's - I think normally all over 65's would get this one, but they didn't order enough / in time so are having to restrict its use.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Oct 18, 7:58 AM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Im in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband whos a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.
    Originally posted by Saffythecat
    I just read the link provided above, and it seems to say that the more effective (enhanced) vaccine has 3 ingredients, the under 65s get 4 ingredients because there isn't an enhanced version of the 4th ingredient available. From this, it seems your Mum and you get 4, Dad gets 3. I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?
    • Saffythecat
    • By Saffythecat 14th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Saffythecat
    I got whatever was available at my work, which seems to be the same as what my mums husband got. My mum is eligible for a free jab as shes over 65, but not the version I got, and her husband got. She opted to pay at Boots for what she understood would offer her more protection. Her husband is over 75.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Oct 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Lorian
    I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 14th Oct 18, 7:46 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Oct 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Lorian
    Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.
    Originally posted by Missus Hyde
    I don't know but I think it would be worth reminding them before you get the jab.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,013Posts Today

8,365Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Follow Martin