Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Oct 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 6,871 Thanks
    C J
    The rain is chucking it down out there today, so I am going to spend some time in the spare bedroom sorting out all the Christmas stuff which has been stowed in there during by the year. I need to do an inventory of what I have bought to go in the advent calendars for my two daughters and their other halves, so I know what is still needed. I have a feeling I am going to find them almost complete, as I have been squirrelling tiny treasures away in there since the Boxing Day sales! I am really looking forward to having a rummage.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The rain is chucking it down out there today, so I am going to spend some time in the spare bedroom sorting out all the Christmas stuff which has been stowed in there during by the year.
    Originally posted by C J
    Its grey but not that wet here, then next wet Sunday we have I'll do some therapeutic chopping of dried fruit, followed by some even more therapeutic soaking in port ready for when I actually bake the Christmas cake
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Oct 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 35,486 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.

Now to garner opinions on what sort of book they'd all like...
    Angie

GC Dec 18 - 206.00/550
    Bulk-buy purse '18 239.56/250, pet & livestock food '18 403.63/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Oct 18, 12:44 AM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    That means you should be aiming to use one TR p/w from now until Christmas.

You're welcome

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 15th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 12,175 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hey all,

Eeeeeeeek I love a bit of Christmas chat and preparation.

I've got most of the gifts in this year already, need to write a list of the last few bits to pick up.

I'm back at home with my Mum so will be a different Christmas for me this year but I am looking forward to it, I do love Christmas!

Dxxx
    Debt Free 2018 12754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    Goal Weight in 2019 30lbs/91lbs
    SPC#13 71.50
    My Home Fund 27
    26th November 2018 - I have 2 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want 100 to switch accounts
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 27th Oct 18, 11:03 AM
    • 16,683 Posts
    • 48,799 Thanks
    freyasmum
    BBC Good Food Christmas edition is out now.

I've drastically culled my magazine habit now, but absolutely LOVE getting this one. It feels like the start of the festivities!

I also love buying the Christmas magazines, but haven't bought them for the past few years. It's all advertising and marketing

I've got another few bits and pieces under my belt present-wise as well.

We've talked about cutting right down next year with my family and the general consensus was agreement It becomes so difficult to buy for the children because they literally get EVERYTHING. I suggested to my sister thay they might like a day out and she said they'd prefer toys... but I'll be doing a day out/activity next year!
    • C J
    • By C J 27th Oct 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 6,871 Thanks
    C J
    Aldi have some lovely wooden toys in store at the moment, so much nicer than the plastic versions. They had tea sets, coffee percolators, toasters, food and fruit etc which are dupes of the Melissa & Doug ones but for about half the price.

I bought a smashing wooden road/car/road-sign set (a bit like Brio - they had a matching railway version too) for 14.99 which tiny car-obsessed grandson will love.

This year I am recording all purchases on a brilliant free budgeting app called Manage Christmas. I used to do it all on a spreadsheet but I like this app more, and find it so much more convenient to add things when I am out and about, just as I buy them.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 27th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 16,683 Posts
    • 48,799 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I use a spreadsheet, but I like the idea of an app! I'll look into that, thanks.

I much prefer wooden toys to more plastic as well.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 27th Oct 18, 2:29 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 13,500 Thanks
    nannywindow
    I have finished my DGD Christmas pressies ( DD gave me a list ) but I still need to buy some stocking fillers for her. I only have one item for DGS at present, but he's older and everything he wants costsapacket . I have a budget for each of them, but her pile will look huge compared to his . Oh well he's old enough to understand, I just hope DGD doesn't rub it in .
    On the food front I have bought a turkey crown, some party food as I had room in the freezer, a Xmas pud and some cheeselets. I am determined not to buy so much food this year, we'll see if I can pull that off.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 28th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Started on the Xmas presents - going to try to make as many as I can this year. The niece & nephew are getting embroidered t-shirts (on the t shirts that didn't turn up in time for their birthdays) and a HM stuffed toy (sewing mag earning its keep!), also got some lovely-looking boucle fabric on eBay which is going to be turned into scarves.

Food wise I haven't started yet - though I do have an Xmas pud left over from last year (we were too stuffed to eat it). We don't go in for tubs of sweets or chocolates as I'm lactose intolerant and we just don't really need them, nor do I make mince pies as they only get eaten by me (though the January reduced-price jars of mincemeat are happily bought and turned into mincemeat and apple tart for later in the year). We also don't throw any Xmas parties so don't need party food.

The cake will be made at the beginning of December ( a family ritual) and the locally-reared turkey will be ordered at the same time. The rest is mainly veg and other bits to be included in the main shopping
    • Jonesy88
    • By Jonesy88 30th Oct 18, 7:57 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Jonesy88
    Ooo I love a Christmas planning thread.

This year i'm trying to be mindful of plastic & waste so i'm making (with the help of my mum) reusable drawstring bags in festive print for wrapping.
    DF by Xmas 2018: #83 8,250/15,000 55%
    SPC 7: #135 | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: 6.49/80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Oct 18, 9:44 PM
    • 26,960 Posts
    • 57,420 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Why is whisky so expensive?
    ^^ I'm not a whisky drinker and couldn't tell Scotch from Irish by taste, but there is no way I am going to open my Chivas Regal to soak my Christmas dried fruit in. Why then are supermarket "budget" brands so expensive? They never seemed to be in previous years. I just don't get it

(Predicting that wet weekend and was looking forward to some chopping).

• Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 30th Oct 18, 9:46 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Cooking sherry instead?
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 30th Oct 18, 11:36 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    Oh a Christmas thread

I've already started......... in fact I started last Christmas Eve in the Boots sale

Bought a few bits and pieces, in particular perfume sets, for Birthdays and Christmas this year.
    My only problem is I switched jobs this year and instead of my usual teachers who I work with to buy for I'm on the top floor and working with 2 pregnant teachers and a teacher who hates Christmas

So now need to figure out what I can buy for 2 pregnat ladies who I hardly know
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #57 1225.00/3,000
    1 a day challenge 2018 - 341/ 365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - 587.00/650

2018 - RULE OF 3 Decluttering challenge - Lost count /1,095 items
    Book challenge 15/20
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 31st Oct 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 19,166 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    So now need to figure out what I can buy for 2 pregnat ladies who I hardly know
    Originally posted by IrishRose12
    How about this book??

Very MSE
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Dec NSD's - 5/20 / Lose weight -16.4 lbs / 22.2 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 0/5000
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 31st Oct 18, 7:55 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    firebubble
    On the food front I have bought a turkey crown, some party food as I had room in the freezer, a Xmas pud and some cheeselets. I am determined not to buy so much food this year, we'll see if I can pull that off
    We should do a Christmas grocery challenge - as somone who does tend to eat (and drink) stashes, I'm sure it works out more expensive if you start buying 'bargains' earlier!
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 31st Oct 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 11,849 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I have just bought a box of my favourite Turkish Delight (non-chocolate covered...and with bits of pistachio in the sweets)….it is firmly stashed at the VERY back of the kitchen cupboard!!!!...I am NOT going to open it before December 1st!....It was a good price, but that would be negated if I had to buy a second one!!!...(plus my decreasing waist size would not thank me for it....delicious though it is!)

I still have last year's Advent Calendar...I don't have the choccie sort - just 24 windows with pictures to open...all the doors are intact...I am considering seeing if I can reclose the doors and use it again this year!...failing that I will buy a small cheap one...it is just for the fun of counting down.
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 31st Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Im trying to cut down on the family present buying this year and wondered what others do? I want to stop everyone spending so much when most of them just buy what they want throughout the year anyway but would still like to keep the token "gift for christmas". Do I suggest a price limit? Any ideas?
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 31st Oct 18, 12:19 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    firebubble
    My family doesn't do presents, except for the tiniest members, but it took a good few years to get to this point - the trick is to see it as a longer term process of reduction. We started by cutting out presents to wider family, and 'downgrading' to a box of biscuits (a few years of swapping biscuits, and most people are perfectly happy to stop entirely). We limited our own family presents to 50, then 20 each, then everyone got married, so suddenly it was still expensive, and still so difficult to buy anything other than landfill for most people for 20.
    Then we went to one present per couple- that was better in terms of ease of buying, but still no cheaper overall.
    Then we went to a Secret Santa (ie names in a hat, so everyone only had to buy one present). That got everyone used to not having to do all the shopping and also to receiving one present, which feels a bit empty the first year, but in subsequent years is fine.
    We then had a couple of years of yankee swap/white elephant, which coincided with a few people being broke due to normal life events (babies, moving, renovations) where we did a 10 limit and joke presents. Then even that ended when there were more little ones, and less time to faff about shopping for landfill

.....and then we were FREEEEEEE from buying overpriced tat, that no adult really wants, and it is a glorious thing.

Being freed from all the shopping is amazing, because you can then focus on actually hosting/visiting people, which is far more satisfying than walking around the shops thinking of them instead.
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 31st Oct 18, 1:21 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Thats what I want to achieve. Its how to convince everyone else.

I am hoping to either put a price limit/secret santa this year and wean everyone off gently.

I feel getting together is much more important but want that habit to be formed instead of getting together to swap presents (if you see what I mean)!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

7,370Users online

Martin's Twitter