Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 16,671 Posts
    • 48,688 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Also, we're hosting Christmas dinner for the first time this year...

We're bringing together two families... one person doesn't like Turkey (so we're having beef), one can't have Christmas without Turkey (also having Turkey), one wants particular veg and Yorkshires. I feel quite stressed at the thought
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Oct 18, 2:34 PM
    • 9,215 Posts
    • 59,220 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Our DS has announced he is going to Austria for Christmas and New Year to stay with a friend who he met through school trips a few years ago. This friend's family have kindly invited him to join them for the celebrations. We will miss him, but feel if he has this opportunity to travel and experience life in other countries then he should grab it while he can. We will sort out a family Christmas do before he goes, once I know what my shifts are.

Main foods will be from Sainsburys Christmas food selection (only the two of us, so won't need much, and I already have 20 in Nectar points to put towards it). I will try and persuade OH that we don't need to buy expensive presents for each other - there is nothing we really need, and it would all come from the same bank account so seems daft buying expensive gifts.
    Just token bits and pieces and nice food.
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge October. 11/20
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th Oct 18, 3:13 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 34,850 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Well. My dear darling daughters, 23 & 26, both still living at home, have decided that we're going for the simple, natural Christmas this year. Part of me wants to cheer, because I love the look too, but part of me wants to scream, "Do you realise just how much work that is?!" looking at the "inspirational" pics in the "How to do the Perfect Christmas" glossy magazines!

But at the end of the day, if they're willing to get stuck in & do their fair share - and they are - then simple & natural it shall be. But the old plastic glittery bits will stay handy by the loft hatch - just in case! And a few old favourites will definitely sneak out...

To be fair, we've never gone overboard, and I've put a lot of thought into simplifying Christmas over the last five years or so. The present-buying's been under way for some time, but I'm perfectly happy to do most of it online anyway. As the "kids" are now all twenty- & thirty-something, stockings are now a thing of the past, but we've borrowed the Icelandic book & chocolate idea instead, and a foray to the local bookshop will be my one actual shopping expedition.

Oh dear - DD2 is currently trying out festive baking ideas - this could be a bit disastrous, her chocolate-dipped Viennese biscuits smell wonderful!

ETA: sorry, have repeated myself! Lost track - got interrupted posting something by a boiler engineer, assumed it was this one so wrote it all out again... it wasn't!
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 12-10-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    Angie

GC Oct 18 - 362.70/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 204.36/250, pet & livestock food '18 273.63/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 12,617 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thanks for the heads up about Al*i but I am trying not to buy stuff. It's so tempting to eat it rather than keep it and I have very little willpower when it comes to sweet things. I have already bought a box of mince pies and somehow they have been eaten ........ it wasn't me, honest . ( but I haven't opened the xmas pud ! ) There were not many boxes of mince pies left in Al*i this week, but I did manage to get some for my Dad.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • wort
    • By wort 14th Oct 18, 11:03 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 10,734 Thanks
    wort
    Haha nannywindow, I bought gfree mince pies in tesc@ a couple of weeks ago, and this week got some normal ald! Ones for dgson which we had last Friday . I had mine with cream , need to get the nice thick cream with amaretto in !!
    A couple of years ago I did a scandi style tree with just wooden Dec's snd lights which looked lovely. It was done as we had a kitten in the house!!! In case it toppled over!
    However last year I went back to my bronze and gold Dec's for the tree.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Oct 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    C J
    The rain is chucking it down out there today, so I am going to spend some time in the spare bedroom sorting out all the Christmas stuff which has been stowed in there during by the year. I need to do an inventory of what I have bought to go in the advent calendars for my two daughters and their other halves, so I know what is still needed. I have a feeling I am going to find them almost complete, as I have been squirrelling tiny treasures away in there since the Boxing Day sales! I am really looking forward to having a rummage.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Oct 18, 2:14 PM
    • 26,392 Posts
    • 56,236 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The rain is chucking it down out there today, so I am going to spend some time in the spare bedroom sorting out all the Christmas stuff which has been stowed in there during by the year.
    Originally posted by C J
    Its grey but not that wet here, then next wet Sunday we have I'll do some therapeutic chopping of dried fruit, followed by some even more therapeutic soaking in port ready for when I actually bake the Christmas cake
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Oct 18, 4:42 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 34,850 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.

Now to garner opinions on what sort of book they'd all like...
    Angie

GC Oct 18 - 362.70/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 204.36/250, pet & livestock food '18 273.63/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Oct 18, 12:44 AM
    • 26,392 Posts
    • 56,236 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm really pleased that I've been decluttering too, because I've found 3 packets of cracker snaps! Now to save some loo roll tubes... it appears we will have a full compliment of Offspring until Christmas afternoon, plus one partner, so I'll be feeding 8 or 9 depending on what my youngest brother decides to do.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    That means you should be aiming to use one TR p/w from now until Christmas.

You're welcome
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 15th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 11,462 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hey all,

Eeeeeeeek I love a bit of Christmas chat and preparation.

I've got most of the gifts in this year already, need to write a list of the last few bits to pick up.

I'm back at home with my Mum so will be a different Christmas for me this year but I am looking forward to it, I do love Christmas!

Dxxx
    CWP Goal Weight 25lbs/91lbs
    Debt Free Wannabe 5,990.19/6,649.97
    7th October 2018 - I have 2 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want 100 to switch accounts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,971Posts Today

8,616Users online

Martin's Twitter