Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • biggayowl
    • By biggayowl 10th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    biggayowl
    Moving during Bankruptcy
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    Moving during Bankruptcy 10th Oct 18 at 2:16 PM
    Iím about to submit my application for bankruptcy (Scottish MAP Sequestration), but am likely to be moving country (to Canada) during the six months Iíll be bankrupt. Has anyone else done similar?

I will notify my trustee of address and any circumstance changes. Iíve spoken to the AIB who confirmed Iím perfectly entitled to move once the process is in motion, so long as I keep them informed.

What implications will there be for me in Canada? All my debt is UK based. I realise I will need to update the trustee every six months for four years, but Iím assuming they canít take any assets I obtain during those four years outside the country.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • TimeToRebuild
    • By TimeToRebuild 12th Oct 18, 3:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    TimeToRebuild
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:47 PM
    Nothing will follow you to Canada, just keep them updated on where you are and earnings and you should be fine, enjoy Canada, its a dream of mine to visit.
    • biggayowl
    • By biggayowl 13th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    biggayowl
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    Thanks. My concern was that the OR / AIB will notify overseas banks, once accounts have been set up.
    • biggayowl
    • By biggayowl 24th Oct 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    biggayowl
    • 24th Oct 18, 2:58 PM
    • 24th Oct 18, 2:58 PM
    just in the final stages of my MAP (minimal assets) application form and it turns out the trustee can take any assets acquired up to four years after discharge!!!

What is the liklihood of them pursuing foreign assets? If I've been luck enough to get a joint mortgage within those four years, would they then look to extract my share of any equity? Do they have any authority to do so?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter