Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 10th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    • 652Posts
    • 164Thanks
    mr_accountant
    windows 10 takes long time to start up
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:59 PM
    windows 10 takes long time to start up 10th Oct 18 at 1:59 PM
    takes round 3 mins plus to start up, though is quick from hibernate ( which is what i do atm)

pc is:
    e8400 cpu 3.00 ghz dual core
    4gb ram, pc2 6400
    windows 10 pro clean install, ver 1803. x64
    2gb gigabyte gt630 graphics cards (more on this later)
    quick start is ticked in the power box, takes around 5 mins without quick start
    it seems to stick on the desktop page for a couple of mins

i have so far;
    task manager, only a couple of google tasks set for once a week.
    startup items, only windows defender.
    tried windows defender off on startup, but no difference

only thing i can see is in device manager a few items are yellow
    nividia gt630 graphics card (though it is recognized in the display settings) it is still as yellow in device manage, tried to update driver but says latest driver is downloaded

also ide controllers and strorage controllers are yellow

any ideas?
    Last edited by mr_accountant; 10-10-2018 at 2:03 PM.
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 3,440 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    What is the make and model of the machine ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 10th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    What is the make and model of the machine ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    hp dx2420 tower
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    • 12,138 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    Download the latest driver manually for the graphics card, uninstall and reboot then reinstall. Also what sort of hard drive do you have? Might be worth installing a SSD a boot drive.
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    Download the latest driver manually for the graphics card, uninstall and reboot then reinstall. Also what sort of hard drive do you have? Might be worth installing a SSD a boot drive.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    ive tried to do a manual download of the latest driver, download OK but trying to install the message comes up not compatible (or something on this lines cant remember the exact wording)

also tried to down a manual download on the gigabyte and NVIDIA sites, both drivers are the same but wont install

not sure if this is the problem, just a theory

the drive is just a 250gb 3.5" drive.
    • 25 Years On
    • By 25 Years On 10th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    25 Years On
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    Could be the Windows 10 version 1803 slowness problem, in part at least.
    • steviebuk
    • By steviebuk 10th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    steviebuk
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    hp dx2420 tower
    Originally posted by mr_accountant

That's the problem. It's REALLY old so it will be slow unfortunately. Might be time, if you can afford to, to upgrade.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 18, 12:54 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:54 AM
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:54 AM
    Of course the age of the device is not the issue, but anyone willingly running a mechanical spinning disc drive in this day and age must hate himself or just like making cups of tea.

The likelihood is that you have installed the OS in PATA or IDE mode. It needs to be set to AHCI or RAID. Then to run a clean install.

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02961221

Whether you can do that via your BIOS may be another story. Perhaps, according to this; https://www.manualslib.com/manual/371187/Compaq-Dx2420-Microtower-Pc.html?page=10 or download here

Look here for a possible solution if your drive is connected to SATA 1, but the option for AHCI is not shown in the BIOS setup;

SSD for 20 squid, connected via SATA cable to the SATA 1 port and installed with AHCI enabled will improve the start up time to 30 seconds or less.

In the meantime, try these Chipset Drivers; https://www.driverscape.com/files/misc/INF_allOS_9.4.0.1027.exe

and this for USB Storage; https://www.driverscape.com/files/misc/Realtek_Card_Reader_Driver_10.0.370.102.zip
    • that
    • By that 11th Oct 18, 2:39 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    that
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:39 AM
    • 11th Oct 18, 2:39 AM
    once you have the correct drivers installed...

top of the page is a spyware sticky. though it is basically Malware bytes + ccleaner

loads of small files on the drive?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 18, 4:19 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    You may also need to update the BIOS, but now you are running a 64 bit OS, it's advisable to update it via DOS.
    Have a look to see which BIOS version is being run on your PC.
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 11th Oct 18, 3:30 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    thanks for the responses, i will reply in chronological order from post 8

i cant fine the ACHI or raid option in the bios, only sata1, as you suggested i tried the cntr f10, cntl f11 trick as per the video but could not get the detailed bios screen, though now the initial blue screen with the options (e.g. press f10 to enter setup, f11 recovery etc) has disappeared
    i will have a look a the SSD, though the new 256gb ones are closer to 40 then 20 on a quick search

just done scan with defender, malware and SAS, no viruses

the bios is the latest v5.31, also W7 ran on x64

I may think about SSD though as i just clean installed W10 and set it up as its a pain to do it again, in the meantime i will use hibernate, restarts up in less than 20 secs
    Last edited by mr_accountant; 11-10-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    thanks for the responses, i will reply in chronological order from post 8

i cant fine the ACHI or raid option in the bios, only sata1, as you suggested i tried the cntr f10, cntl f11 trick as per the video but could not get the detailed bios screen, though now the initial blue screen with the options (e.g. press f10 to enter setup, f11 recovery etc) has disappeared
    i will have a look a the SSD, though the new 256gb ones are closer to 40 then 20 on a quick search

just done scan with defender, malware and SAS, no viruses

the bios is the latest v5.31, also W7 ran on x64

I may think about SSD though as i just clean installed W10 and set it up as its a pain to do it again, in the meantime i will use hibernate, restarts up in less than 20 secs
    Then don't buy a 256GB model, buy one that costs 20 quid. You can keep the old HDD in as internal storage.

Are you stating that the BIOS setup page has disappeared altogether?
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 11th Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Then don't buy a 256GB model, buy one that costs 20 quid. You can keep the old HDD in as internal storage.

Are you stating that the BIOS setup page has disappeared altogether?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    no not the bios, the blue information display screen at the start which remains for a couple of seconds with the shortcuts, eg esc for boot to enter, f10 to enter setup etc
    similar to 1st screenshot below
    https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229988-hp-desktop-startup-screen-frozen-geek-squad-says-fried-motherboard.html
    Last edited by mr_accountant; 11-10-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: -
    • PiratePete
    • By PiratePete 12th Oct 18, 4:28 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    PiratePete
    SSD all the way
    I have an old dell dimension E520 running Win7 that was taking an age to boot ie 3 1/2 mins ! Installed an SSD drive and it now boots in less than 30 seconds and zips along nicely! I had a laptop that was so slow after upgrading to windows 10 you could almost go and make a cup of tea and come back and it still hadn't booted ! Again installed an SSD and it now boots in under 30 seconds.
    Last edited by PiratePete; 12-10-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 12th Oct 18, 5:46 PM
    • 10,860 Posts
    • 5,572 Thanks
    deanos
    My windows 10 used to take ages to load, installed a SSD and its seconds way way faster, well worth investing in one
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 30th Oct 18, 8:55 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    update
    decided to purchase and install a Kingston K400 SSD 240gb and transfer all my files over to the SSD, and i will keep the HDD as backup.

The load time from restart is less than 30 seconds, with another 15 seconds to start firefox quantum,

overall worth it, and a noticeable speed improvement when starting programs (or apps as w10 now likes to call them)

whilst in the spending mode i purchased an Acer s240ybid 24" monitor for around 67 after various discounts form Ebuyer ebay, around 100 spend overall, though will recoup around 50 for the old monitor, happy days!
    Last edited by mr_accountant; 30-10-2018 at 8:58 PM. Reason: -
    • Planetsaver
    • By Planetsaver 31st Oct 18, 12:49 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Planetsaver
    decided to purchase and install a Kingston K400 SSD 240gb and transfer all my files over to the SSD, and i will keep the HDD as backup.

The load time from restart is less than 30 seconds, with another 15 seconds to start firefox quantum,

overall worth it, and a noticeable speed improvement when starting programs (or apps as w10 now likes to call them)

whilst in the spending mode i purchased an Acer s240ybid 24" monitor for around 67 after various discounts form Ebuyer ebay, around 100 spend overall, though will recoup around 50 for the old monitor, happy days!

Well you have not really solved the problem it should not have been taking so long to start in the first place.

Has it always taken this long?

When did the problem occur and what was it like before it manifest.

I would have looked in the event viewer for clues.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 31st Oct 18, 8:36 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Much better for Windows startup but Firefox should be pretty much instant so you've still got problems.

only thing i can see is in device manager a few items are yellow
    nividia gt630 graphics card (though it is recognized in the display settings) it is still as yellow in device manage, tried to update driver but says latest driver is downloaded

also ide controllers and strorage controllers are yellow
    And the above is where your problems lie, you shouldn't have any yellow exclamation points at all let alone on the storage controllers.

Uninstall the graphics drivers and then use the clean install option on the Nvidia install (I use AMD but I think they have similar). Don't forget to restart after uninstalling and again when reinstalling.

In device manage right click on any problem devices and uninstall, restart and let Windows install new drivers.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 31st Oct 18, 8:45 AM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    DoaM
    If yours is a mainly Intel-based machine then you can download and install an Intel utility that will check for missing or updated drivers.

Note: the utility installs itself as a service so runs permanently in the background (with a system tray icon). After running it I used the Startup tab in Task Manager to disable it - when I next want to use it I can just enable it again.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 31st Oct 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,804 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Good stuff. DoaM is refering to this Intel utulity I believe
    https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

Windows update. Has it completed? (I don't know if you clean installed to the SSD or imaged it from the HDD). I know you've got some old devices but always confirm that Windows update has caught up.

Firefox quantum taking 15 seconds. Do 2 timings. One, 2 mins after a reboot. Close Quantum. Open it again. How long the second time?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,275Users online

Martin's Twitter