Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vivki
    • By vivki 10th Oct 18, 12:20 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 6Thanks
    vivki
    Opening a bank account as soon as bankrupt
    • 10th Oct 18, 12:20 PM
    Opening a bank account as soon as bankrupt 10th Oct 18 at 12:20 PM
    Hi

Iím now officially bankrupt!! Can I open a new bank account straight away, and which has the best online banking please?
Page 1
    • broaps
    • By broaps 10th Oct 18, 1:39 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    broaps
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:39 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:39 PM
    Hi Vivki

I can certainly recommend Nationwide as they were very helpful to us. Their basic account has full on-line and mobile banking and a proper contactless debit card. You can draw up to £500 daily from ATMs like normal people (when you have it again)! We have arranged for our DDs to be paid without any problem. The only difference from a "normal" account is there is no cheque book or overdraft but I think that applies to all basic accounts. And, of course, no bank charges. Easy to use website, friendly staff - check it out.
    • vivki
    • By vivki 10th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    vivki
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    Thanks. I’ve applied to nationwide so that is great to hear!
    • london1973
    • By london1973 11th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    london1973
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    Maybe a bit late but i have found Barclays to be fantasic, and their app is superb, i haven’t been online once since i downloaded it, far better than any i used prior to BR
    • TimeToRebuild
    • By TimeToRebuild 12th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    TimeToRebuild
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    Nationwide and Halifax are good, Nationwide being my favorite, contactless card and online banking/ app
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    Nationwide and Halifax are good, Nationwide being my favorite, contactless card and online banking/ app
    Originally posted by TimeToRebuild
    Nationwide always gets good reports also Barclays and the Coop, I would avoid the Halifax though are they are not B.R friendly
    • ramtops
    • By ramtops 13th Oct 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ramtops
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:40 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:40 AM
    I recommend Monzo - they're really great, and don't mind about bankruptcy.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 2nd Nov 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 4,471 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:31 AM
    I applied online for a HSBC account last week, in preparation for going BR, but instead of them offering me a basic account, they've opened a normal current account, albeit no overdraft on it.

Should I transfer my benefits and non-debt DDs to it anyway and start using it now or is there a risk it would also be frozen along with the rest once I've applied for BR?
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 2nd Nov 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 2nd Nov 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 8:14 AM
    Did you tell them you were going B.R?
    If not I would think they they will either downgrade it to a basic one but pretty sure they will freeze the current account.
    • leescarlett
    • By leescarlett 4th Nov 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leescarlett
    Hello.

This is my first post, and I thought I'd offer my experience...

I went BR in 2013, and after speaking to the OR, agreed that I could keep my bank account open. Of course, I went to my bank (Lloyds) and told them as a heads up, and the manager there said they would be closing my account as they "absolutely do not accept BRs". Well, 5 years on and my account is still going strong.

As long as the OR is happy to keep you bank account open, I'd keep my options open for now. I only had student loans go in mine, so there wasn't much to see during the 1 year BR period. One thing though, I was told not to open a bank account with any of my creditors just in case they decided to be difficult.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 4th Nov 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    It is not the O.R's decision if a bank account is kept open, if the O.R has no interest in the account it is still up to the bank whether they close it or not.
    Some banks are not B.R friendly and will close the account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,780Posts Today

7,448Users online

Martin's Twitter