Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • litepay
    • By litepay 10th Oct 18, 11:44 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 37Thanks
    litepay
    11-week diary: 100 and 1lb per week
    • 10th Oct 18, 11:44 AM
    11-week diary: 100 and 1lb per week 10th Oct 18 at 11:44 AM
    Hi everyone. Posting in this section as my main concern is overspending. Also, just realised this morning that there are 11 weeks left until Christmas and I weigh 11lbs more than I want to... so I decided to do a little experiment and give my budget, my diet, and my fitness level a makeover. I have good income and no credit card debt, but I'm spending like there's no tomorrow and there is nothing to show for it. Also, I gained a lot of weight after Easter and I want to lose it - mostly by becoming more active and by eating less junk.

Current situation:
    • Money: OK income, high mortgage, no credit card debt, no loans. After all bills and direct debits, regular expenses (transport, childcare, clubs, school lunches), savings, and grocery spend is budgeted for, I'm left with about 430-440 per month, which should be more than enough to live on. This spend will include eating out, fun days, clothes, shoes, cosmetics, presents and any other stuff that comes up. It's not a small budget, but I'm known to overspend on silly stuff like 2 flat whites and 2 croissants a day. Apart from my child needing a coat and me some winter boots for work, we don't need any clothes. (I'm a single parent, btw).
    • Diet: current weight 10st 11lbs. My normal weight up until earlier this year was 10st and that's where I'd like to be. I have a soft spot for bread, croissants, pastas and flat whites. Oh, and for eating out...
    • Fitness level: low. Walking about 30 mins daily, to/from train station and sometimes cycling or walking in the park at weekends, but not always. One hour of yoga per week (if that!). 1-hr tennis class on Saturday mornings. I LOVE tennis and I should find a way to play more. Also, I'm ashamed to admit that I paid for an annual gym membership (classes only) and I'm totally under-using it... Last but not least, I need to start running again. 5K twice a week would be ideal, but let's aim for 1x minimum...

My 11-week plan:
    • Money: spend less than 100 each week and save the rest - to a separate savings account.
    • Diet: eat less sugar and carbs: NO to pasta, pizza, bread, croissants, cake, sweets. Rice and potatoes fine, but less often.
    • Fitness: yoga at least 1x / week; 1x boxercise OR zumba class every week, and running at least 1x 30-min running / week.

The diary is meant to help me with all of the above so I'll probably update frequently. Wish me luck and if anyone wants to join in, you're welcome!
Page 1
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 10th Oct 18, 12:59 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    SSDD23
    • 10th Oct 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 12:59 PM
    Good luck x
    Money made in October: 93.30/50.00 // October NSDs: 16/15
    Total Debt: 5408.90 Total Repaid: 1477.50 Total Savings: 50.00
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 10th Oct 18, 1:44 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:44 PM
    I think that's a great idea. Christmas will be here before we know and losing the weight before helps with damage limitation after. You sound like you're really motivated! Good luck x
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Working Mum
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    Welcome to the Forum!
    I am self employed and each Thursday I give myself 150 FFF (fun, fuel, food) money - I always put 30 worth of fuel in my car each week (in case I end up short the following week I know I can use my car!) but it also means I accrue a bit of unused fuel in my car each week which is useful if I need to go on a long journey or I am unable to pay myself one week for some reason.

Are there definitely 4 weeks in between your pay days?? You could get caught out as October is often a 5 week month and your first month could be stymied!

I write everything down I spend in a book and this shows where I can make savings. I know I hoard food when I am stressed because of my Spends Book!! I find it really mindful to ask for a receipt and then update it in my spends book plus it has the added benefit of demonstrating budgetting and money management to my 2 children!

Good luck with your journey!
    • litepay
    • By litepay 10th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    Thanks everyone. I am indeed motivated, hope it lasts!

@Working Mum: love your FFF acronym! I use YNAB for my budgeting and it has a mobile app, so I log in everything - which is how I know I spend too much on stupid stuff. I get paid monthly but I budgeted 440 per month for everyday spending, which should be fine, as there are 4.33 weeks in a month, on average
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 57,444 Posts
    • 235,260 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 11th Oct 18, 1:47 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 1:47 PM
    Good luck on your journey and the dieting x
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 73.92 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 486.84
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • litepay
    • By litepay 11th Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    Thank you both!

Had a tiring day today at work, luckily I'm off work tomorrow and will get to relax in the afternoon, once my dentist appointment is over (ouch). Today's report:

Money: Went out to lunch with colleagues, 14 damage. I work from home 3 days / week and as a result I'm being very sociable when I do go in, and I always spend too much money... On the plus side, I did not go out for coffee, I made my own - I use a cafetiere at work. Also on the plus side: I got a cheque from the solicitor that I used for remortgaging earlier this year, 84... this was totally unexpected. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow so I'm putting the money to good use; my dental insurance only covers 75% of the costs and it'll be a hefty bill as it's a crown replacement so yeah...

I've also checked MSE for my e.on electricity & gas deal, apparently I'm on a cheap one so no changes there. No other bills to review for now...

Diet: yogurt for breakfast, mushroom risotto for lunch, snacked on almonds at work, dark chocolate with seasalt (weird taste!), then a big salad for dinner. I could use a glass of wine right now, but I don't have anything at home and not going out this weekend so that's that.

Fitness: not much, just walking to/from train station at home and at work, plus lunchtime walking. All in all this means 50 minutes walking. I booked zumba and yoga for tomorrow evening though! And I'm going to start tracking steps and running soon. I've recently switched Internet providers - signed up with Vodafone several weeks ago and I got a free gift - which I can order starting tomorrow, and it's going to be a Fitbit Charge 2, yay. It's the type of gadget that I'd never buy for myself, but I'll give it a try since it's free...
    • litepay
    • By litepay 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:26 PM
    Quick daily report:

Money: had to pay for a school trip today, but I'm way below 100 for this week, all good - for now. Dentist has not charged me yet as the final session is in two weeks from now. Very expensive but part of it is covered by dental insurance from work.

In other money news, I read in the Bank accounts section that I might be eligible (again) for double blue rewards from Barclays, if I fully switch an account (an old Santander account) to them before mid November. I made a branch appointment next week to see if that's true, can't switch online as I'm an existing Barclays customer. That would mean 24 each month in rewards, less the 3 fee. I already used the double blue rewards promotion earlier this year, so I'm not entirely sure I qualify again, but the T&Cs seem to suggest so. We shall see.

Diet: not feeling like eating too much, but I'm craving chocolate, not sure why. Both lunch and dinner were low carb but I had some after eights in the afternoon, naughty me. I need to get on the scales tomorrow morning, to see where I am.

Fitness: been a really good girl, went to zumba AND yoga tonight, feeling great now. Tennis tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I ordered the free* Fitbit Charge today, I'm excited even though I haven't started running yet but I can use it for tracking steps. The email says it can take up to 30 days to arrive though, so we'll see.

*This was a very good provider switch from Sky to Vodafone, I got fibre Internet for 18 months for 20/month (it also includes the line rental "free"), and also got the Fitbit as a switch gift. It's worth reviewing bills all the time. Next up is my mobile phone contract, but not until January. I'm paying way too much for mobile, 36 /month. It includes the phone but even so...
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Oct 18, 8:48 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Good news about the bank switching and rewards!

Ah how exciting about the fitbit! I love my fitbit, since having it I've definitely upped my steps and I've started running. I know what you mean about mobile phone contracts, mine is 67 a month I can switch in November thankfully, so I'll be switching to a sim only deal at 20 a month
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 50/3564.05, MBNA CC - 400/3144.96, Savings - 300/5000
    • litepay
    • By litepay 13th Oct 18, 2:45 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Two hours of tennis this morning, I'm shattered and I still need to tidy up the flat. My child's at a b-day party and I've done all the shopping so once I tidy up a bit I can put my feet up. Tomorrow is supposed to be raining and we don't have anything planned yet.

Not much else to report today, apart from weight 10 st 9 lb, I'm on the right track, 9-10lbs to go!

Have a great day everyone!
    • litepay
    • By litepay 14th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Ending the week on a positive-ish note.

We did go shopping today, but most of it was using gift cards, so damage is 'only' 12.55 today, and I'm 8.30 shy of the 100 weekly budget, so this, plus a bit left from the grocery budget goes to the savings pot. Hoping for a more frugal week next week, as I'm pretty sure half term, which is the week after, will be anything but frugal...

No sports today unless you count mall shopping
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 15th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Keep going on the weight loss journey, well done
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 73.92 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 486.84
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • litepay
    • By litepay 16th Oct 18, 1:19 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Quick update from me, not much to report, just logging in really.

Money: Monday very low spend, only 5.40 for lunch. Today (and most likely tomorrow) no spend days, as I'm working from home. Weekly grocery day is Thursday, and I expect no spend apart from groceries until the weekend.
    Food/diet: keeping it mostly on the low carb side, but not getting on the scales until end of week.
    Fitness: just walking to/from train station from home and from work. No time today for lunchtime run, maybe tomorrow!

Looking forward to half term, I'm absolutely knackered.
    • hamptons
    • By hamptons 16th Oct 18, 2:57 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hamptons
    Just browsing threads and can't offer any advice so just leaving a message.
    • litepay
    • By litepay 18th Oct 18, 10:05 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Thursday update from me:

Money: I did spend today for a work lunch AND a take-out coffee, 19.35, ouch. Working from home tomorrow so it will be an NSD. Also hoping to keep it low spend for the weekend, as my child is with her dad and I don't have much planned. Chances are I will only spend half of the weekly 100, and throw rest to my savings.

Also, went to Barclays today and switched my old Santander account into my Barclays account, now waiting to see if I can get double rewards extended for another 12-month period. Won't know until November, but if it's a yes, I'll be getting 21 per month for a full year (24 actually, but the account fee is 3).

Diet. OK-ish, except for tonight when I had to whip out a quick meal so I made pasta, and the lunch was sushi so carbs galore today. Not getting on the scales until Saturday morning though, maybe I can compensate with salad tomorrow.

Fitness. Walking only, about 40-50 min in total. However, I booked zumba and yoga again tomorrow evening, as I'm not going out (again!).

Can't wait for half term, I'm off for the entire week.
    Last edited by litepay; 19-10-2018 at 9:53 AM.
    • litepay
    • By litepay 19th Oct 18, 2:15 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Just got a call at home from someone pretending to be from BT Openreach - the lady with an Indian accent starts telling me that my computer network is being hacked and my laptops will be all wiped out if I don't let them help me immediately, and that they could help remotely. The introduction sounded so professional at first I was confused, it took me 1-2 minutes to realise it was a scam. I slammed the phone down, can't believe these people - wondering if more vulnerable people fall for this :-(

How did they get a hold of my number, it's ex-directory....
    • litepay
    • By litepay 20th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    litepay
    Apparently we weren't ex-directory, when I moved from Sky to Vodafone I didn't pay attention to this. Called V yesterday and asked to be removed, and also asked for caller display to be enabled - it's now free, because Ofcom required all providers to make it available for free from 1 Oct. The things you learn on MSE...

My daily update:

Money: spend too much today but still on budget. Off to Dover tomorrow and I'm hoping to not exceed the weekly allowance.

Diet: this one's going relatively well, although I only lost 1lb this week, which is nothing... So 10 st 8lb currently, and feeling a bit lighter, although I'm sure that's just in my mind.

Fitness. Zumba and yoga last night, tennis this morning. Off to Dover tomorrow and we'll walk a couple of hours, so all good.

Half term next week and I'm planning a couple of walks and some more tennis, plus the weekly zumba/yoga combo.

So far so good, hope to survive the half term shopping urge though...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,971Posts Today

8,616Users online

Martin's Twitter