Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 10th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 446Posts
    • 445Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    Offer making time! - how do I do it?
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    Offer making time! - how do I do it? 10th Oct 18 at 10:02 AM
    I'd like to put in an offer on a flat. It's listed at offers over 200k, but from a conversation with the agents it sounds like the vendor might be open to something lower. I think I'll start at 195k and then see, or would that be insulting and just p*** them off?

Also - I know to make the offer subject to contract and valuation. I'd also like them to stop advertising, viewing etc. Do I make the offer conditional on that too? Or is there some other acceptable language for that?

And lastly - they can leave me with white goods, but I have to make an offer. There is a fridge, a separate freezer and a washing machine. To be honest, I don't want a separate freezer and the fridge, whilst probably handy when I first move in, is ancient, so even if they leave it for free, I will need to replace it quite quickly. The only thing that might be worth it is the washing machine; how much do I offer for a second hand washing machine (and fridge, sort of)?
Page 1
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 10th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 379 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    It would be highly unusual for someone to be so offended by an offer than they refuse to entertain another offer from you.

You want to make sure you offer something they will reject. I would go lower. Start at 185. Then 191, then 193, then 195.

Unless you are in Scotland, "offers over" is just estate agent BS. It means the same as offers invited around, asking price, etc

on the white goods, just make it clear what you expect the offer to include ie includes all white goods, curtains and light fittings. Dont price these separately. Just make it clear that you are offering on the basis they are included.

you can make it clear that if accepted, you expect the property to be withdrawn from the market and no further viewings to be held.
    Last edited by SmashedAvacado; 10-10-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: additional comment
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 10th Oct 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:33 AM
    You can offer what you like, with whatever conditions you like, and using whatever language you like.

Whether the vendor accepts it is another question.

They might accept, they might reject, they might negotiate. In response, you might accept, reject or negotiate. Repeat until you agree, or realise you'll never agree and walk away.

Offer whatever the going rate for a 2nd hand washing machine costs on ebay, gumtree or (say) a BHF charity shop, then see above advice re. negotiation.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    • 8,783 Posts
    • 9,284 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    Unless you are in Scotland, "offers over" is just estate agent BS.
    Originally posted by SmashedAvacado
    It's BS in Scotland too, you can offer what you like, and often they will end up selling at under the asking price.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 10,970 Posts
    • 12,650 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    Just make the offer to include the white goods. They are probably only worth 100 to you anyway and there's a value to them in leaving them behind in that they wont have to move them (and quite possibly just take them to the tip)
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10,994 Posts
    • 14,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 10th Oct 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 11:28 AM
    Would just say 'subject to it being taken off the market with no more viewings going ahead'.

I would make my first offer and say you're happy to buy the second hand goods for 100, or they can take them. If they want more, just decline and get something off ebay. Chances are they'll accept anyway. My removal company kindly stopped en route to collect a fridge freezer I'd found up the road on ebay - needed a temporary option until I had a new kitchen fitted.

You could try to get them included with your second offer. Go up a bit but say that's to include the F+F and WM.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 10th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    Well, it's done, just sent it to the agent. I feel slightly queezy now, is that normal?

I offered 194, subject to contract and survey. I figure I'll leave the "taking it off the market" and white goods bits for the next round/s.

Edit - the agent's just come back to ask for ID checks and things. Guess it's real now.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 18, 1:29 PM
    • 10,994 Posts
    • 14,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:29 PM
    Good luck!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 10th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    ask for ID check
    Originally posted by cherryblossomzel
    That's quite possibly a good sign, I wouldn't bother with this stage unless an offer was accepted.

Good luck.
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 10th Oct 18, 1:48 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    if they accept then you will have to have a conversation with yourself about whether you could have got it for less. You will feel better about the deal if they reject of ask for an extra 1k.
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 10th Oct 18, 1:53 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    if they accept then you will have to have a conversation with yourself about whether you could have got it for less. You will feel better about the deal if they reject of ask for an extra 1k.
    All this happened within about 2 minutes of me sending the email. They can't possibly have run it by the seller; they're not even in the country. I think it's routine.

Although they've also sent a buyers questionnaire which asks what price has been agreed, and nothing has been agreed yet.
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 10th Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    I wasnt really talking about the request for information about you - i was talking about the quantum of your offer
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 12th Oct 18, 2:33 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    Just a brief update to say that I'm still waiting for a response.

The seller apparently indicated that they would like a higher offer, but the EA hasn't officially asked me if I could bid more, and just told me that they've asked for a bit more time to think about it.

Staring at the phone, willing it to ring...
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 12th Oct 18, 3:50 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    let the agent know a narrative along these lines

"I have seen a couple of other places so would prefer to know one way or another. the other places are a bit more of a compromise, but i am a serious buyer and looking for a committed seller. Some of the other sellers are being pretty accommodating, one even dropping their asking price before i made an offer - which i havent done on that place as its not quite right, but it is a lot cheaper. it woudl be good to understand their timing - have they indicated that they are waiting for someone to bid or just thinking about whether they can afford to accept my offer. In the meantime, as i have a couple of other properties that I would possibly move on if this one doesnt happen, i am getting my solicitor lined up with KYC etc so we can move once a deal is done (whether for this property or another)"
    • cherryblossomzel
    • By cherryblossomzel 12th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    cherryblossomzel
    Thanks for the help SmashedAvacado.

Agent called telling me that she could seal the deal with the seller if I throw another 2k at them today. I told her I'm not making a decision late on a Friday afternoon over the phone and will let her know. I'll reply tomorrow.

Should reach a deal soon!!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Oct 18, 4:58 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Agent called telling me that she could seal the deal with the seller if I throw another 2k at them today. I told her I'm not making a decision late on a Friday afternoon over the phone and will let her know. I'll reply tomorrow.
    Originally posted by cherryblossomzel
    Tomorrow is a Saturday, when people view houses. Someone might view and offer the asking price on the spot.

If you've got the 2k and don't mind spending it on this place, seal the deal, on the condition it's taken off the market now. Reply now.
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 12th Oct 18, 5:19 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    Split the difference 1k and it’s a deal.

You’ll all feel better about the fact you’ve negotiated
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Split the difference 1k and it’s a deal.
    I'll take a grand, but I won't be cancelling tomorrow's viewings.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,671Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter