Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 9th Oct 18, 4:58 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 90Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Money Moral Dilemma: My housemate has a bigger room - how should we split the rent?
    • 9th Oct 18, 4:58 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: My housemate has a bigger room - how should we split the rent? 9th Oct 18 at 4:58 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I'm renting a shared house and recently found out my housemate is paying less than me for a bigger room. We recently signed a new contract and they've agreed to discuss splitting it in a fairer way. What is the best way to go about this?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 09-10-2018 at 7:44 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Oct 18, 7:26 AM
    • 13,346 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    True, but that doesn't explain how the OP didn't actually know what rent the other person was paying?
    Originally posted by jonnygee2
    Maybe this week's money saver isn't very good at maths and didn't realise (s)he was paying half otherwise why would the flatmate consider paying something different to what is stated in his/her own personal contract? It's all a bit odd.
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 11th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    DragonQ
    I had this issue in a 5-student house nearly a decade ago. We decided that we'd draw lots to decide the order in which we'd pick rooms. Half way through the year, we then swapped the order around and re-picked rooms.

Bit of hassle but definitely fair.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 11th Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    crmism
    Rented rooms
    A starting point will be to measure the floor space available to each of you; that done, consider the facilities each room has. If the latter are identical, then the calculation is simple and based upon floor space alone.

If one room has, say, built-in storage space and the other hasn't, then there's a case for making a further adjustment. However, there's no real formula that will enable you to arrive at a fair rent between tenants if the amenities differ significantly, so you could ask the landlord to add together the rents he's currently getting, then divide the total between you both in such a way that you pay less than the other tenant and he or she pays more, based on what's available to each of you.

If the landlord is reluctant to do that, why don't the three of you get together, come to an amicable agreement on a fair rent for each of you, and sign fresh Agreements on that basis?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I'm renting a shared house and recently found out my housemate is paying less than me for a bigger room. We recently signed a new contract and they've agreed to discuss splitting it in a fairer way. What is the best way to go about this?
    Originally posted by MSE Kelvin

That is easy, bid for it. Just start at a 50/50 split of the rent, then 55/45 split, will either of you bid 60%?

• blue12
    • By blue12 13th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    blue12
    rent splitting
    If all else is equal, just do it on square footage/metres. On the other hand, if one room has clear advantages (quiet, light, better ventilation, etc) try to come upwith a split that gives those featrues some weight. If you share an internet connection that you pay for, you could work that into the split, particularly if there are premium services that will benefit/interest one of you more than the other.
    • sorchaa
    • By sorchaa 16th Oct 18, 1:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sorchaa
    Theres a website for this!
    Use the "Split Wise" calculator. If you google it it should come up. And show it to your housemate, cant really argue with an existing calculator!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,383Posts Today

7,398Users online

Martin's Twitter