Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John Lodge
    • By John Lodge 9th Oct 18, 1:51 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    John Lodge
    Are there any first names that are considered to be trademarked names? (Deed Poll & Passport)
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:51 AM
    Are there any first names that are considered to be trademarked names? (Deed Poll & Passport) 9th Oct 18 at 1:51 AM
    I remember reading about a woman that was refused a passport with the name 'Skywalker' as one of her middle names because her first name began with an L and she signed the form L. Skywalker.

The UK Deed Poll Service states:

5. Copyright and trade mark protection of names

There is no copyright or trade mark protection of people's names. Therefore, if you want to change your name to David Beckham or Aston Martin, you can. However, you cannot use your new name if it results in passing-off or deception. For example, if you changed your name to Elton John and you published songs in that name, you will find yourself subject to trade mark infringement legal action by the artist Sir Elton John on the grounds that you are passing yourself off as him.

On a more every-day level, because there is no copyright or trade mark protection of people's names, following divorce, a man cannot stop his ex-wife from continuing to use his surname (unless his ex-wife is deceiving people or companies into believing she is still married to him).

If you are considering changing your name to a trade marked name, please read the next section.

6. Applying for a passport in a fun, temporary or trade marked name

HM Passport Office (HMPO) have introduced a policy for inappropriate and temporary name changes in passports. Under this policy, HMPO will not issue a passport in a name that is temporary or contains: a political statement, a string of words that will not normally be considered a name or a trade marked name (there are other restrictions in HMPO's policy but our own restrictions on new names mean that a Deed Poll issued by us would not be in breach of the other restrictions in their policy). However, if you provide HMPO with documentary evidence that you are using your new name for all purpose, HMPO will issue you a passport (in your current name) with an observation stating "The holder is also known as new name".

Therefore, when you apply for your new passport, you will need to enclose at least two documents you have changed to your new name to demonstrate you are using your new name for all purposes e.g. your driving licence and a utility bill. We will also enclose with your Deed Poll documentation, the suggested wording of a letter you should enclose with your passport application in support of your request for a passport in your new name.
    Apparently there is no copyright or trademark protection from even using full names.

Nevertheless, what about the first names of singers that are widely known by their first names?

For example, Madonna Ciccone is widely known by the single name Madonna. If a woman called 'Sarah Smith' were to change her name to 'Madonna Smith', would the HM Passport Office accept the change?

Or, would Sarah end up having a passport in her current name (Sarah Smith) with an observation stating "The holder is also known as Madonna Smith".

I cannot see how it is a trademark since it is not the full name and there were people with the name before Madonna the entertainer. In fact the famous Madonna's own mother was called Madonna.
    Last edited by John Lodge; 09-10-2018 at 5:30 AM.
Page 2
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 11th Oct 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 11,787 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Are first names trademarked in the US? I think the trademark would be more than just simply the first name alone.
    Originally posted by John Lodge
    As explained above - the US Patent and Trademark Office will allow you to trademark your own name as a business (but not someone else's without their agreement). So as an entertainer, it would be a sensible option to trademark multiple variations to protect all opportunities to sell merchandise. Which is probably financially more significant than the possibility of someone else choosing to change to the same name by deed poll. I reckon William James Adams Jr. has trademarked his stage name...

Here in the UK - the Intellectual Property Office doesn't seem to have any specific guidance https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-property/trade-marks

The British singer Laurie Blue Adkins is known by her first name. Even though Adele is not an uncommon name, before her there was not another famous singer called Adele so she is often referred to by her first name.
    Adele Astaire (sister of Fred) and Adele Anderson come to mind immediately. You're coming across a bit pompous, John, again assuming that your experience of a name is universal...

Now there's also a difference between someone who has two names and becomes known by one (maybe because they are the best-known in their field) e.g. Beyonce(Knowles-Carter) and someone who is already generally known by just one name or nick name e.g. (Steven Patrick)Morrissey. Paul Hewson became Bono Vox then Bono. Gordon Sumner got the nickname Sting before he was nationally famous. Graham McPherson became Suggs at school years before he was in a band.

Someone who explicitly chooses a single name as a performing name (which then sometimes leads back to trademarking) is I'd say a more recent phenomenon driven by marketing as much as public acclaim. Hence Ke$ha (or Kesha now), P!nk before her and whoever is the latest hyped teen idol - Zendaya perhaps.

Some genres, of course, make more use of the single-name as stage name than others. Marshall Bruce Mathers was "M&M" at high-school, which mutated to Eminem as he became more widely known.

However Cheryl (Tweedy etc.) only tried to become mononymic fairly recently as a re-launch of her brand/image. Were there any famous singers called Cheryl before her - well Rita Crudgington was pretty well known in the 80s

To save you Googling, folks - that's Cheryl Baker from Buck's Fizz.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.97 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • John Lodge
    • By John Lodge 11th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Lodge
    As explained above - the US Patent and Trademark Office will allow you to trademark your own name as a business (but not someone else's without their agreement). So as an entertainer, it would be a sensible option to trademark multiple variations to protect all opportunities to sell merchandise. Which is probably financially more significant than the possibility of someone else choosing to change to the same name by deed poll. I reckon William James Adams Jr. has trademarked his stage name...

Here in the UK - the Intellectual Property Office doesn't seem to have any specific guidance https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-property/trade-marks
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Yes. However, it is still perfectly legal for parents to name their child a given name that a singer is widely known as to the general public. Similarly, there is nothing stopping an American citizen from changing their name to any of those names as well.

Adele Astaire (sister of Fred) and Adele Anderson come to mind immediately. You're coming across a bit pompous, John, again assuming that your experience of a name is universal...
    Adele was not an uncommon name before the singer Adele became famous. I have heard of a few girls with the name Adele. Yes, there are other references to the name. However, ask people in real life which Adele first comes to mind and I am sure many will say Adele the singer. Do you dispute that?

You seem to always be personally attacking me! Every post contains an ad hominem. I am not just using my own personal experience, if you read the news about the singer Adele she is always referred to as just 'Adele'; the Wikipedia article is titled 'Adele'. Of course I had heard of the name Adele before the singer but in popular culture she is often referred to by her first name.

Now there's also a difference between someone who has two names and becomes known by one (maybe because they are the best-known in their field) e.g. Beyonce(Knowles-Carter) and someone who is already generally known by just one name or nick name e.g. (Steven Patrick)Morrissey. Paul Hewson became Bono Vox then Bono. Gordon Sumner got the nickname Sting before he was nationally famous. Graham McPherson became Suggs at school years before he was in a band.
    Many people are also known by names that were/are not their birth names. Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne and others come to my mind. Also, many people often go by their middle name. There were several articles when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were getting married about the fact that Meghan Markle's first name is actually Rachel and that she goes by her middle name Meghan.

Someone who explicitly chooses a single name as a performing name (which then sometimes leads back to trademarking) is I'd say a more recent phenomenon driven by marketing as much as public acclaim. Hence Ke$ha (or Kesha now), P!nk before her and whoever is the latest hyped teen idol - Zendaya perhaps.
    I agree with you.

Some genres, of course, make more use of the single-name as stage name than others. Marshall Bruce Mathers was "M&M" at high-school, which mutated to Eminem as he became more widely known.
    Yes, a lot of rappers go by a single name such as Tupac, etc.

However Cheryl (Tweedy etc.) only tried to become mononymic fairly recently as a re-launch of her brand/image. Were there any famous singers called Cheryl before her - well Rita Crudgington was pretty well known in the 80s

To save you Googling, folks - that's Cheryl Baker from Buck's Fizz.
    I know. She is also still widely known as 'Cheryl Cole'. I never once heard someone referring to her as 'Cheryl Fernandez-Versini'.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 13th Oct 18, 1:30 AM
    • 851 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    Sam Fallow

Yes, a lot of rappers go by a single name such as Tupac, etc.

How about Dave.

And he wasn't even the first to use that name.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 13th Oct 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Kylie Jenner tried to trade mark the name Kylie in the US and it got kicked out of court.

Elton John was originally Reg Dwight then became Elton Hercules John but there were a very famous mythical Hercules before him.

Back in the 80s and 90s lots of people started naming their children Russin names like Nikkia. I worked in the passport office and we had some crackers. In the London office someone came in for a baby's passport and the child was called Treblinka! It was pointed out this was actually a Nazi death camp, the parents thought it sounded exotic.

Then there was a woman called Wally Chicken and yes that was on her birth certificate.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 13th Oct 18, 6:22 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 7,186 Thanks
    pimento
    Has anyone told Tiffany?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6272277/Tiffany-threaten-legal-action-against-British-beautician-name.html
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Oct 18, 10:52 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    mgdavid
    While wondering if the OP is a wind-up merchant or just somewhat disconnected from reality.... .........
    Originally posted by NBLondon

...or quite possibly both....

this has to be the most pointless thread on MSE in recent months...
    I'm reminded of the Python sketch - is this a 5 minute argument or have you paid for the full halfhour?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 11,787 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Yes. However, it is still perfectly legal for parents to name their child a given name that a singer is widely known as to the general public. Similarly, there is nothing stopping an American citizen from changing their name to any of those names as well.
    Why would it not be? Unless they are intending to deceive - by impersonating that individual or to make a profit by falsely implying that their business/product is associated with that individual.
    Adele was not an uncommon name before the singer Adele became famous. I have heard of a few girls with the name Adele. Yes, there are other references to the name. However, ask people in real life which Adele first comes to mind and I am sure many will say Adele the singer. Do you dispute that?
    . No, I just disputed your assertion that
    before her there was not another famous singer called Adele
    by providing an example of an internationally famous singer/dancer/actor called Adele and a nationally renowned singer/songwriter/producer called Adele. Both of whom were in the public eye before ALB Adkins was born.

And I'm challenging your repeated assertion that some names are uncommon and that being the reason that certain famous persons are known by only one name. In some cases, the fame is the driver; in others it's a deliberate marketing ploy. Which doesn't always work, because it can come across as pretentious.

What ever happened to Duffy, by the way? And do I mean Aimee or do I mean Stephen (aka TinTin)?

You seem to always be personally attacking me! Every post contains an ad hominem.
    You seem to be misunderstanding that term.

"John - you're a pompous idiot" would be an example of an ad hominem since it is aimed at the individual and has no connection to the points being raised.
    Last edited by NBLondon; 15-10-2018 at 9:36 AM. Reason: Fix quoting
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.97 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,527Posts Today

6,513Users online

Martin's Twitter