Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 7th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,527Posts
    • 36,136Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 8th October 2018
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 8th October 2018 7th Oct 18 at 6:38 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you to Valli for last weeks thread.

Each day has a list of tasks which works on how much time and motivation you have. The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week -

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week:

Mooooooooooooonday ~ Kitchen and Dining room!
    15 minutes...

Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces.. and sink.. polish those taps!
    Sweep and mop floor
    30 minutes to spare...
    Empty and clean out a cupboard.. fling all that is dead, mouldy or inedible.. and that includes all weevilly things too!!!!
    Wipe units and cupboard fronts
    Wipe and replace all small appliances
    Got an hour...
    Clean the oven and hob
    Clean out the fridge.. you do not need furry food!
    Dust and deweb.. and Wipe some paintwork

Extras
    • HHI
    • Binbag dance
    • wash out bins
    • Wash the windows

Tuesday ~ brats room.. if you have no brats do your own room!
    15 minutes...

Declutter the floors
    Strip the bedding get it washed dried and the beds remade!
    30 minutes to spare...
    vacuum the floors
    Straighten a cupboard of clothing
    Wipe the paintwork
    Got an hour...
    Tidy a box of 'stuff'
    binbag dance!
    dust and deweb

Extras
    • HHI
    • Wash windows
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop!
    • Wipe over ALL the upstairs doors!!

Wednesday ~ Living room, hall and stairs!
    15 minutes...

Declutter floors
    Vacuum right through
    30 minutes to spare...
    Dust, deweb and defluff all those electrical appliances to!
    Wipe and water plants
    Wash sofas/covers and any soft furnishings that need it
    Got an hour...
    Polish mirrors, glass and metals!
    Wipe radiators and paintwork
    15 minutes filing!

Extras
    • 32 fling boogie!
    • HHI
    • Sort through a drawer or cupboard
    • Check window seals for any draughts and stop them up if necessary.. we will be draught free this winter!

Thursday ~ Study, Landing, Porch and other neglected bits!
    15 minutes...

Declutter the floors in the study and landing
    Vacuum these areas!
    30 minutes to spare...
    Declutter and dejunk the porch.. this is where first impressions of your house are made!
    Sort through coats, bags, shoes etc.. are there any that can be flung? Who needs a new winter coat this year?
    Wash the front door and wipe paintwork!
    Got an hour...
    Binbag dance!
    Wash any sofas/chairs in these areas
    Dust and deweb.. esp the porch!!

Extras
    • Wash any smelly pet bedding
    • Wash any grubby windows
    • List 5 things on ebay!/freecycle.. or just fling them to charity shop!
    • Change the curtains to the thicker winter ones!

Friday ~ Bathroom and Study
    15 minutes...

declutter floors
    Scrub the bath, loo, basins, bidets, showers etc etc
    30 minutes to spare...
    Empty and wash out bins
    Scrub tiles and polish mirrors
    Vacuum/mop floors
    Got an hour...
    Wipe chairs and sofas
    Wash shower curtains, bathmats etc
    Recycle the empties and decant dribbles

Extras
    • Clean out and tidy cupboards
    • Replace and curly toothbrushes
    • Shine the taps with one of the old ones
    • Check all the smoke alarms.. don't forget all rooms with high sleepers in MUST have their own alarm in!
    Last edited by Natty68; 11-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 4
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Oct 18, 10:24 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 9,242 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Hats off to all you teachers...

When I was in the infant (as it was then) class, I was adamant to my teacher that my mum was 21, as she told me every year that she was 21 again....my mum so obviously was an older parent and not a teenage mum.

I have an hour before I start the weekend taxi service for DD. I need to coordinate the calendar and diary, as there seems to be so much going on that something is going to get missed. The washing is hanging up indoors, although the sun has just managed to come out. It's still blowing a gale, so it is probably safer drying in than out. If I get time and a wiggle on, I might also be able to demolish the ironing pile.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th Oct 18, 10:38 AM
    • 20,666 Posts
    • 234,709 Thanks
    Valli
    house = tip
    DW emptied
    given I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom on Tuesday when it was a nice cleaning day I will attack the dining room today and possibly even my bedroom!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Oct 18, 10:42 AM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 52,897 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Congratulations on the job offer, JJtT.

(((Hugs))) and spoons to all in need today - but no sticks! We are all guilty of beating ourselves up unnecessarily: after all, we're only human xxx
    Originally posted by ionafan
    ^^^ Wot she said.

Woken up with horrid thrush as well (sorry TMI) so I will definitely be making an appointment.
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    If you can't a GP appointment for a day or two, your local pharmacy will deal with that for you.

Sorry I'm not contributing that much, but the sewing thing is taking over my life which feels fabulous. I'm learning just how much time I spend procrastinating now that I don't have to because I'm frogless, although tadpoles are very much in evidence. Turns out I don't need to spend that much time checking things on F'book, reading the newspaper online or even opening most emails. Procrastination really is a thief of my time.

This is the very first year I haven't planted bulbs. I hoiked out all of the dead lobelia and shoved in a load of pansies (I'm in love with purple at the moment), watered them and left them to get on with it. I'll miss the narcissus in the spring, but I want to get on with stuff now and it'll be interesting to see if any of the previous years plantings have lasted the test of time.
    Keeping it AF
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 14th Oct 18, 12:37 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 23,036 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    A very horticultural day today. This morning 4 of us decorated the church for harvest festival . Mr N and I spent most of the afternoon pruning and shredding. Extremely windy here but very sunny and mild.
    Took mil out for lunch.
    Did a bit more of a report; have got very behind already and it's only the 2nd week of term.
    Made beef casserole for 8 in the slow cooker for harvest lunch; rather over-filled it and had a volcano so will transfer it to largest cast iron dish and finish off in aga tomorrow oops just seen the time; ok later today!
    Thoughts to anyone in South Wales floods.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 18, 1:59 AM
    • 25,006 Posts
    • 100,477 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Spent the day poleaxed by a headache that refused to budge despite two doses of parrots and two of decongestant, plus two long naps. Woke

Now back in bed to the accompaniment of Himself snoring. Loudly.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 10,050 Posts
    • 124,904 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Up and ready for a very wet day, I have some volunteering to do, and most / likely most people will be at home today, so 10am I am on the phone to catch them in!!

Mountironmore will do in the mean time.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Oct 18, 10:18 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 9,242 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning,

Lots of rain. Hoping Dizzy is ok.

I usefully filled the odd half hours that I had yesterday in true MAD spirit. The weeds are gone from where the bulbs are to go, which is a small step in the right direction. Obviously I haven't actually planted the bulbs yet!

I think the best plan of action now is to boot up the pc and get some of the paperwork gone. What I would really rather do is curl up and watch a b&w film, but that is just too decadent given the jobs that are waiting to be done. Well before lunchtime anyway
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Oct 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10,050 Posts
    • 124,904 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Ironing is done

Local car boot called off due to weather.

Volunteerin g put on hold for today.

Going to see what OH wants to do, have a feeling we might get a jigsaw out, we know how to rock and roll here
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 25,006 Posts
    • 100,477 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Inundated with slightly chilly cats on the sofa. I am feeling slightly more human today (ie, awake), but still don't plan on doing anything significant.

WM on with bedlinen/towels.

Himself on kitchen duties (crumbs from breakfast, mostly).

Myself on sofa detail (sharing my body heat with the chilly cats, apparently).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Oct 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 52,897 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Two lodgers out, one due in later so two bedrooms and a shower room to do.

My back is killing me. I keep hoping that it'll be better tomorrow but it's progressively getting worse this week. Not quite sure how to deal with it at the moment; I've even topped up the ibuprophen with parrots which I very seldom need to resort to. I might visit a pharmacy on the way back from the dogfield to see what they can suggest tomorrow morning. It's bearable while I'm sitting down but Flying and dog-walking are almost unbearable today.
    Keeping it AF
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Oct 18, 12:37 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 9,242 Thanks
    Fayolle
    GWS wishes and very gentle hugs coming your way, HB. I hope things improve.

I have successfully eaten the frog that was the tax return. Whilst other frogs are queuing up for attention, at least that is one down. Paperwork given a bit of a trim, a broken box file has been replaced and thrown, paperwork sorted for the next frog up for munching. Payslips from 11 years ago have gone into the shredding pile. All things that should have happened a while ago, but better now than never. It certainly wouldn't have happened without the inspiration from this thread.

Soup for lunch up next, then I might search for my baking mojo.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 14th Oct 18, 1:06 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 21,750 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Lots of rain. Hoping Dizzy is ok.
    Originally posted by Fayolle
    To quote Pigpen "I ain't deaded yet" Thanks for thinking of me. We are on flood alert, but the heavy rain is steady, so although the river is very high, it seems to be coping with the extra water. So far, at least. Time will tell what comes down from the mountains over the next two days.

Been really busy with dogs this week, so limited flying done, plus I'm trying to tile the downstairs wet room which is finally looking like it might be finished soon I've got a delivery of clay paint arriving on Monday, so this coming week, all hands will be focusing on getting this area sorted. The floor is going down over the next few days, so I'm going to be busy keeping things tidy and clean with lots of dust being created.

Sigh....
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 18, 1:22 PM
    • 25,006 Posts
    • 100,477 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Upstairs bathroom cleared of defunct bottles, loo roll inners and Himself's contact lens cases. Toilet cleaned inside and out, sink cleaned, bath cleaned, window and windowsill cleaned (the latter despidered of a small but profligate net maker).

About to deal with wet washing (I'm thinking the TD might need to be pressed into service for the sheets and towels), drink more tea and get Himself to buy a chicken to throw into the SC again this week. Saves having to clean the oven, as he seems to object to covering food in there for some reason.

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,135 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Managed to blitz the bathroom yesterday - but I have spent three freakin' days this week sorting out recalcitrant tech.

I shan't go into the details, just suffice it to say it involved considerable use of the DOS screen.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Oct 18, 1:51 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 52,897 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Thank you, Fayolle. Your good wishes and the parrots worked.

The shower room, the superking, double, passageway and stairs are all sparkly, Kelpie's been trundled, the WM has finished all of the towels which I can peg out now the rain's passed through, the sitting room, dining room and lobby have all been vacuummed, dusters handwashed, I've had a shower and washed my hair, and various bits of carpet have been spot-cleaned. Lodger arrives at 4.00pm, and it's all ready for him.

That's enough for one day. Now to go and crunch some more ibuprophen, trundle Kelpie again and then back to sewing.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Oct 18, 2:18 PM
    • 25,006 Posts
    • 100,477 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Himself sent off to acquire poultry and coffee additive manufactured in Tennessee (it's cold and wet, it's on offer at £12 off, I've been ill and had a whole 5 hour's sleep thanks to the snoring - at 4.30am, I forcibly shoved him into the recovery position to get him off his back where he was doing a great impression of a carthorse at rest).

Felines mucked out.
    Shower room swept, loo squirted with goop, loo roll replenished.
    SC scrubbed and switched on.
    Sink cleaned properly through means of actually picking stuff up and cleaning under the plate rack/bowl. Plug trap cost 39p and has already saved me a whole world of aggro in just the two days he's been back.
    Countertop cleaned properly through similar means.
    Lifted pan things on hob to remove stuff under them that's hit in the last 48 hours. It's not that difficult, surely?
    Kitchen floor swept.
    Himself greeted on his return with rubbish bags placed securely in hands for disposal.
    TD on.
    Mandolin removed from leaning against the rear heat exchange, as warmth and expensive, rather moody string instruments do not make happy bedfellows. Relocated in living room.
    Scratching post and toy rodents moved and swept under, also dealing with the repeatedly shredded table leg in the process.
    Idiot Cat shown that it is still raining outside, as he didn't believe me or his own eyes from this side of the door.
    Idiot Cat thoughtfully rechristened the Little Tray of Evil.
    Himself instructed to add a tiny amount of oil, remove catkilling elastic string round poultry before cooking, salt and pepper well and dump poultry boobside down in the SC and leave well alone.
    Jumper put to dry on cold radiator.
    Appliances wiped over.
    Furry throw put back on settee. Himself co-opted into helping fold the fleece blanket now placed decoratively at his/the Idiot Cat's end.
    Himself given The Look when he asked if I could make sure the kitchen wasn't messed up once he's cleaned it.

Back on settee.

Slice of HM fruit bread and cup of tea placed quietly beside me as Himself scuttled back to the kitchen for the washing up pf three plates, two mugs and hopefully dealing with the crumbs, knives and used teabags he's thoughtfully stored for future use [WHY? The bin is literally within arm's length and the sink even closer].

That was quite a productive few minutes, wasn't it?
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 14-10-2018 at 2:21 PM.

• Valli
    • By Valli 14th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    • 20,666 Posts
    • 234,709 Thanks
    Valli
    DD requested Sunday dinner.
    She is moving out next Sunday.
    DD also asked if I wanted to accompany her to town.
    Not if I'm doing Sunday dinner.
    Sunday dinner started.
    DD also then announced an optician appointment.
    Now attempting to keep Sunday dinner warm awaiting her return.
    *heartfelt sigh*
    We could eat ours and plate hers up but I thought a nice Sunday dinner with serving dishes and pudding might be a nice gesture.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 52,897 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Disappointing, Valli. (((Hugs)))
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Oct 18, 8:18 PM
    • 20,666 Posts
    • 234,709 Thanks
    Valli
    New Thread
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

9,248Users online

Martin's Twitter