Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 7th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,546Posts
    • 36,340Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 8th October 2018
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 8th October 2018 7th Oct 18 at 6:38 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you to Valli for last weeks thread.

Each day has a list of tasks which works on how much time and motivation you have. The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week -

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week:

Mooooooooooooonday ~ Kitchen and Dining room!
    15 minutes...

Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces.. and sink.. polish those taps!
    Sweep and mop floor
    30 minutes to spare...
    Empty and clean out a cupboard.. fling all that is dead, mouldy or inedible.. and that includes all weevilly things too!!!!
    Wipe units and cupboard fronts
    Wipe and replace all small appliances
    Got an hour...
    Clean the oven and hob
    Clean out the fridge.. you do not need furry food!
    Dust and deweb.. and Wipe some paintwork

Extras
    • HHI
    • Binbag dance
    • wash out bins
    • Wash the windows

Tuesday ~ brats room.. if you have no brats do your own room!
    15 minutes...

Declutter the floors
    Strip the bedding get it washed dried and the beds remade!
    30 minutes to spare...
    vacuum the floors
    Straighten a cupboard of clothing
    Wipe the paintwork
    Got an hour...
    Tidy a box of 'stuff'
    binbag dance!
    dust and deweb

Extras
    • HHI
    • Wash windows
    • Fill a binbag for charity shop!
    • Wipe over ALL the upstairs doors!!

Wednesday ~ Living room, hall and stairs!
    15 minutes...

Declutter floors
    Vacuum right through
    30 minutes to spare...
    Dust, deweb and defluff all those electrical appliances to!
    Wipe and water plants
    Wash sofas/covers and any soft furnishings that need it
    Got an hour...
    Polish mirrors, glass and metals!
    Wipe radiators and paintwork
    15 minutes filing!

Extras
    • 32 fling boogie!
    • HHI
    • Sort through a drawer or cupboard
    • Check window seals for any draughts and stop them up if necessary.. we will be draught free this winter!

Thursday ~ Study, Landing, Porch and other neglected bits!
    15 minutes...

Declutter the floors in the study and landing
    Vacuum these areas!
    30 minutes to spare...
    Declutter and dejunk the porch.. this is where first impressions of your house are made!
    Sort through coats, bags, shoes etc.. are there any that can be flung? Who needs a new winter coat this year?
    Wash the front door and wipe paintwork!
    Got an hour...
    Binbag dance!
    Wash any sofas/chairs in these areas
    Dust and deweb.. esp the porch!!

Extras
    • Wash any smelly pet bedding
    • Wash any grubby windows
    • List 5 things on ebay!/freecycle.. or just fling them to charity shop!
    • Change the curtains to the thicker winter ones!

Friday ~ Bathroom and Study
    15 minutes...

declutter floors
    Scrub the bath, loo, basins, bidets, showers etc etc
    30 minutes to spare...
    Empty and wash out bins
    Scrub tiles and polish mirrors
    Vacuum/mop floors
    Got an hour...
    Wipe chairs and sofas
    Wash shower curtains, bathmats etc
    Recycle the empties and decant dribbles

Extras
    • Clean out and tidy cupboards
    • Replace and curly toothbrushes
    • Shine the taps with one of the old ones
    • Check all the smoke alarms.. don't forget all rooms with high sleepers in MUST have their own alarm in!
    Last edited by Natty68; 11-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 3
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 11th Oct 18, 12:04 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 23,404 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    jojo well done. Now rest.
    ionafan how do you get so much done (not by being a sloth like me).
    Staggering through a busy week. Dreadful night Mon with tooth, had to get up and stomp around about every half hour, willing time to pass until I could ring for a dental appt. Got to sleep about 6am, woken up with tea at 9 with Mr N saying did I need to ring surgery. Turned over and slept till 11 then woke feeling a bit better so rang for an ordinary appt not an emergency one: next Thursday .
    Had a couple of waves of pain on the way to uni then in gym after, dropped in at church to remove dead flowers and Hoover as there is a funeral tomorrow.
    Bible group in eve; tooth didn't like walking home in the cold but slept all night.
    Uni today, rang dentist to see if there were any cancellations but line busy.
    Wrote letter appealing against large parking fine at uni, enclosing emails I'd sent uni asking why permit renewal site wasn't working.
    Mr N has been cooking and gardening while I've been working.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 11th Oct 18, 7:24 AM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 37,507 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all.
    ionafan how do you get so much done (not by being a sloth like me).
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    Frankly, by
    - being NEE rather than NEET, as I am still "in training", but it's my choice to do it
    - I'd had a decent night's sleep and wasn't feeling ill or in pain
    - enjoying the sunshine and fresh air: when the weather's grey, wet and cold it's a different story!
    - DH's depression being less obvious when he is physically unwell, so that he doesn't bring me down with him
    - it may look a lot when it's written down, but I have learnt on the Flylady thread that every little achievement is to be celebrated (and I tend not to post on the days when I achieve very little ).
    Staggering through a busy week. Dreadful night Mon with tooth... Had a couple of waves of pain on the way to uni then in gym after, dropped in at church to remove dead flowers and Hoover... Bible group in eve... Uni today... rang dentist to see if there were any cancellations but line busy.... Wrote letter appealing against large parking fine at uni, enclosing emails I'd sent uni asking why permit renewal site wasn't working.
    That's not being a sloth - that's coping with pain and lack of sleep, showing commitment and determination, and being frustrated by a broken system that is not your fault!
    Mr N has been cooking and gardening while I've been working.
    You and MrN make a great team, of which fact I am very envious.

(((Hugs))) and spoons to all in need today - but no sticks! We are all guilty of beating ourselves up unnecessarily: after all, we're only human xxx
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 11th Oct 18, 7:33 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 9,770 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Well done, Jojo.

ATB - I'm with Ionafan on this - you sound like you will drag yourself into the ground at this rate. Take care. X

Well done on getting the bulbs planted, Ionafan. Mine are still in their packets in the shed, and have been for 3 weeks. Every day I think that I will get there, something else crops up. Not least that we have spent the last couple of weeks building a greenhouse. I now have to figure out what I'm supposed to do in it / with it. I bought it with some money that my mum left me, so it will hopefully be a nice reminder of her, as she loved her garden.

I'm off to work shortly. Flying has been in short supply this week apart from the absolute basics. Definitely a Must Do Better report for me. I will throw the recycling out now and see what else I can do in 30 minutes. Probably not as much as I like to think I can.

I'll report back later...have a lovely day, all, and hugs and spoons as needed. X
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 11th Oct 18, 7:37 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Busy day yesterday, worked all day and some of the groups needed last minute preparation. Few bits of shopping on my way home so I can make cup cakes this morning as requested by DD1 who is coming home for lunch. So need lunch to be made too.
    So today is at home all morning, a couple of phone calls to make, cakes and lunch to be made, washing to be done and the bins go out tonight so I want to be sure they are full so need to go and sort out somewhere.
    Am up and dressed, bed is made, so is coffee so better go and put WM on.

I think you all do so much, thanks for the examples it so motivating.
    Hugs to all
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 11th Oct 18, 10:45 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning lovelies,

Thank you for thinking of me; you're quite right, I need to take care of me as well as everything else. Woken up with horrid thrush as well (sorry TMI) so I will definitely be making an appointment. The lumps in my armpits are no longer painful but have hardened. Sure it is nothing to worry about but it needs sorting.

Washing went on the line first thing, another busy day.

Big hugs to all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 11th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 9,770 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I got in from work just after 2pm. It could have been worse, I suppose. Turned myself straight around and dashed to Mr M with half a list. Considering it was half a list, I think I did ok sticking to it and reciting the things that I could remember that weren't on the list, although I surely resembled a mad woman muttering with my trolley. Shopping done, put away, and home just before DD got in from school. She made me a cuppa which was a bonus.

I'm now trying to get my act into gear to do something useful. I whizzed the vacuum cleaner around the LR, bedroom, landing and stairs this morning. I think I need to put a few things into the loft which are cluttering the spare room. As fast as I get rid of a bag to the cs, another bag of (ahem) treasures seems to take its place.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 11th Oct 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 23,404 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Ionafan thank you for your kind comments. Yes I'm very lucky in Mr N, who'd have thought nearly 40 yrs ago we'd meet at a riding school and end up with such a good team.

Dentist now has me on waiting list for asap but not quite emergency!
    Manager trying to sort out parking permit fiasco at uni, sent off appeal letter and no new fines in post today. Another assessment to write up.

Exciting news that our kitchen floor seems to have dried and both dw and wm now in their rightful places and functional.

ATB good plan to see doctor.
    We're off to a concert in Islington now, likely to be the oldest there and I haven't been to a standing only gig for years.

jojo hope you feel better soon. Mr N now has injectable MTX!
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Oct 18, 5:53 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 119,919 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Glad you're still able to post occasionally, LW. Has the husky booked in with you?
    Originally posted by ionafan
    I haven't heard any more yet, but the Boss Lady is going to follow up with them, so hopefully I'll know for sure in the next day or so.

I do have Bessie Spaniel coming in on 1st November for certain, though.

I stupidly did 2 hrs weeding in the front garden yest afternoon. Not the best idea, been in agony since. But the garden does look tidier.....
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 11th Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 37,507 Thanks
    ionafan
    I haven't heard any more yet, but the Boss Lady is going to follow up with them, so hopefully I'll know for sure in the next day or so.
    I do have Bessie Spaniel coming in on 1st November for certain, though.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    That's good!

I stupidly did 2 hrs weeding in the front garden yest afternoon. Not the best idea, been in agony since. But the garden does look tidier.....
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Me too (repotting and planting rather than wedding) - I ache all over today. Moving all the church chairs for the toddlers didn't help much Rosie has had a shorter walk than usual, but she had a longer one yesterday, so it averages out about the same.

There's a beautiful sunset right in front of me as I sit at my desk: this is the one day in the year when the sun goes down exactly opposite my chair, in the gap between the trees and the old farm buildings opposite

Must get ready to go out for the first evening of my new course.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Oct 18, 6:49 PM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,644 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I need to pot up some plants in the garden to 'over winter' them.

Work done, worn out.

Dinner done
    Basic flying that is all, but better than nothing
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 11th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Worn out here too

12 cup cakes made
    2 chocolate chestnut cakes made
    Nice lunch cooked and enjoyed with DD1, lovely to catch up with all her news
    WM moved to TD now needs ironing (can waith until tomorrow)
    Health insurance admin done
    Bank admin done
    Been to work
    Bins put out (and they were quite full so junk gone!)
    Going to clear kitchen then try and have an early night

OH home from USA tomorrow lunchtime, I can't wait!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Oct 18, 8:11 PM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 102,128 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Bins have been done and a few bits scooted off the countertops to make them look cleaner. Still not done that washing up, though - but I've still got 2 mugs usable, so it's not that much of a priority.

Had the usual day at work where the coursework they've had three and a half months (excluding the summer holidays) to complete is due in tomorrow. Lord help any Offspring of the Parish whose parent claims at the next Consultation Evening that they asked for help but was refused it, as I've been available (and providing said help to their peers within the restrictions of the qualification) at lunch and after school. Every. Single. Day. I stayed a little later (unpaid), but once I'm on the receiving end of somebody getting cross because I'm going home, it's hard to bite my tongue and not ask whether they were expecting it to be completed by Elves overnight.

Anyhow, there is a vague attempt at a curry in the SC. If it's not eaten tonight (I'm really tired), it'll be all the better for sitting in there on Keep Warm tomorrow.

And Himself is on a coach somewhere between Somerset and here, expecting to be back shortly before midnight. So, as of tomorrow evening, I am downing tools and relaxing/hoping this cold bogs right off, as I'm still quite snuffly and sneezy tonight.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Oct 18, 6:58 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 9,770 Thanks
    Fayolle
    12 cup cakes made
    2 chocolate chestnut cakes made
    Originally posted by Mademoiselle
    Yum!

Thanks to an update, the planned paperwork and tax form submission on the laptop didn't happen yesterday evening It will be gone by the end of the weekend. Funnily enough, I didn't think to use the time to clean the bathroom though

There is a gale blowing outside, and the rain is banging on the windows. A lovely morning for negotiating idiot drivers on narrow roads to get to work.

Keep safe, dry and warm, wherever you are today. I hope all expected OHs turned up safely from their trips away.
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 12th Oct 18, 11:01 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Pottering along slowly here. WM is on, DW too. ironing from yesterday still not done but to be fair there is only 1 polo shirt and 2 pillowcases to iron so thought it could wait until next load is done.

I have been through the box of instructions and thrown out those for items we no longer have. Drawers in kitchen sorted a bit too. Nothing is completely sorted but plenty of rubbish has been thrown away and a few things in the charity bag. Actually feeling quite good about getting rid of junk, although you can't see any difference it feels good to know that there is a bag of rubbish gone and loads of recycling (paper) and a bag for charity.

DW just finished so will go and empty that and see if WM ready to go to TD. Also want to see what else I can take out of freezer as trying hard to empty it and get rid of it.

Have a nice day all, it's the weekend tomorrow.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,644 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Blowing a gale here as well, leaves all over the garden.
    Dinner done
    Still worn out, so might go to bed early.
    Need to buy food
    etc
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Oct 18, 8:17 PM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 102,128 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    One somewhat soggy OH arrived home just before 11pm. Unfortunately, I was too tired and feeling grotty to do much more than pass him a towel before eating a bit of the SC Curry (amazingly, he ate loads, which made wasting 70-odd pence on a packet of microwave rice worthwhile) and disappearing off to get some sleep.

Frantic Manic Busy Busy BUSY BUSY for every moment of the day at work today, including, quite unnervingly, a proper meeting for something (and not a come in and be told you're rubbish) and a request to write something that makes me sound like I'm vaguely trusted with a little responsibility. However, piece written and submitted, potential tears and tantrums diverted with the Offspring of the Parish and, after only 30mins overtime and some speedy sifting through to find a back up (how many times do I have to say SAVE YOUR WORK before everybody listens?), every bit of coursework was duly submitted and I have managed to cross off two of yesterday's outstanding tasks. And ignore the 15-37, depending upon how you count them, additional things I did today.

Practically crawled in through the front door this evening, have now dispatched Himself to fetch various Oriental Fishy Requisites and we will be watching a probably terrible Creature Feature before I go and sleep for hours and hours and hours.

He can do some housework in the morning. He's already washed up mugs and cutlery, which is good enough for tonight in my opinion.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Valli
    • By Valli 12th Oct 18, 9:28 PM
    • 20,758 Posts
    • 235,582 Thanks
    Valli
    so we were looking at ritual in RE with y1 and focussing on Salat (muslim prayer ritual) and I asked them to design a prayer mat ( having looked, respectfully, at a real one and picture of a few).

So these, says young C. indicating the circles he had drawn, are the chainsaws.

me - thinks 'CHAINSAWS WHAT CHAINSAWS I NEVER MENTIONED CHAINSAWS'
    me actually speaking - "a nice design, C well done"

anyway today I find out C's dad is a joiner...so I just might stop worrying...
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 18, 9:37 AM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 102,128 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    so we were looking at ritual in RE with y1 and focussing on Salat (muslim prayer ritual) and I asked them to design a prayer mat ( having looked, respectfully, at a real one and picture of a few).

So these, says young C. indicating the circles he had drawn, are the chainsaws.

me - thinks 'CHAINSAWS WHAT CHAINSAWS I NEVER MENTIONED CHAINSAWS'
    me actually speaking - "a nice design, C well done"

anyway today I find out C's dad is a joiner...so I just might stop worrying...
    Originally posted by Valli

When I were a nipper, we had the ritual humiliation of the drawing your Family Tree (always embarrassing for the kids whose relatives were mostly dead or were short of a parent or two). The follow on was tied in with Medieval stuff leading up to a trip to Winchester - create your own Family Crest/Coat of Arms; Mother's Side, Father's Side...

I'd tried to get the information from my mother ('Just draw it all about ME' How? She didn't 'do' anything and it had to be about your parents' jobs, according to the teacher), failing that, I asked a brother (I now know they were half brothers, but didn't at the time) who refused, then the next, who pretended he couldn't hear me, then the last, who wasn't particularly keen on me, but actually told me the information I needed to know.

My beautifully crafted Coat of Arms was duly completed and put up on the wall. It comprised a black and white cat and a yellow dog as supporters, quarterly divisions enclosing flowers and stars - and a scattering of milk bottles and clover leaves for the mantling.

Yep. My brother had told me completely straightfaced, that my father was an Irish milkman.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 13-10-2018 at 9:39 AM.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 18, 9:41 AM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 102,128 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Kitchen looks like a bombsite following last night's total binge on takeaway, ginger beer, sweets and crisps.

So I will be going to have a bath.

Himself reckons he's going to get stuck into cleaning today. He'll have to wake up first,

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Oct 18, 10:21 AM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,644 Thanks
    kazwookie
    WM is on
    TD is on
    It is chucking it down
    Kitchen is done
    Food shop is done
    OH has gone back to sleep
    I want to hoover...................
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,376Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter