Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 7th Oct 18, 6:10 PM
    • 3,932Posts
    • 7,847Thanks
    Murphybear
    Xmas ideas for 70 year old man
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:10 PM
    Xmas ideas for 70 year old man 7th Oct 18 at 6:10 PM
    I'm stuck this year for ideas for OH

I did him an advent calendar one year and he's still got most of the miniature toiletries

He loves chocolates but he has weight issues so I don't want to give him too much. I'll probably get him a Hotel Chocolat Advent Calendar but struggling for other ideas

He has tons of toiletries which he hardly uses

Doesn't smoke

Everything he is likely to drink is sitting in the sideboard
    Never given him socks or underwear in 22 years but could think about this

Dressing gowns, I've bought him 2 which he still wears

Jumper, possibly

Car cleaning kit for his beloved Lexus (its ancient) but judging from the past it will sit in the cupboard

He's got a decent laptop and brand new iPad

He's the only man I know who doesn't like mobile phones

One year I bought him a River Cottage cookery day so don't want to repeat it

Any ideas?

Thanks
Page 1
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 7th Oct 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:54 PM
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:54 PM
    How about booking for the two of you to go away for a short break, maybe doing something he'll enjoy (classic car rally?).
    • shorty31
    • By shorty31 7th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    shorty31
    • 7th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 7th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    What does he use his iPad for?
    Would he use AirPods? I use my phone/iPad for Audible and love my AirPods.

Does he like music? Bluetooth speaker? Can recommend the Apple HomePod, but another favourite in our house is the amazon echo dot. As well as also using it for Audible, and checking the weather or hews. Itís great with an Amazon music subscription. I am happy with the sound quality, but my DH links it to better speakers.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Oct 18, 3:02 AM
    • 20,876 Posts
    • 56,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:02 AM
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:02 AM
    It sounds like he's got everything he needs/wants (and doesn't want/need).
    Why do you need to buy him anything at all just because it's Christmas?
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Oct 18, 3:20 AM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:20 AM
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:20 AM
    It sounds like he's got everything he needs/wants (and doesn't want/need).
    Why do you need to buy him anything at all just because it's Christmas?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    When we got together I was working and he wasn't. We didn't exchange gifts for a few years but now we're retired we are catching up. Neither of us has any children and he is an only child so we don't have anyone else to buy for
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 20,876 Posts
    • 56,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 8th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    When we got together I was working and he wasn't. We didn't exchange gifts for a few years but now we're retired we are catching up. Neither of us has any children and he is an only child so we don't have anyone else to buy for
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    OK, I can see that.
    But...if he doesn't need/want anything, aren't you just wasting your money for the sake of saying 'Here, dear, here's something that you probably don't want and probably don't need...but Hey! It's Christmas and I'm making up for lost years...?

TBH, if you need to ask the advice of random strangers on t'internet, he probably won't appreciate any gift you buy.
    • mai_taylor
    • By mai_taylor 8th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    mai_taylor
    • 8th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    OK, I can see that.
    But...if he doesn't need/want anything, aren't you just wasting your money for the sake of saying 'Here, dear, here's something that you probably don't want and probably don't need...but Hey! It's Christmas and I'm making up for lost years...?

TBH, if you need to ask the advice of random strangers on t'internet, he probably won't appreciate any gift you buy.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Because people enjoy giving and receiving gifts and if you are getting enjoyment from it then how is that a waste of money?

I would just ask him to have a think about what he wants or book a weekend away together.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Oct 18, 1:36 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Oct 18, 1:36 PM
    • 8th Oct 18, 1:36 PM
    Would he like to make things? Our son gave my husband a Lego set and some mecano. He enjoyed making the items for a day or two.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Oct 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 11,415 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:16 PM
    • 8th Oct 18, 3:16 PM
    If he enjoyed the RiverCottage day...how about a cook book or two.

Home Made gift vouchers...from the 'fun' I hereby promise to stop nagging the minute you hand me this coupon (good for only one use!!!!)..or a voucher allowing him full control of the TV remote....
    ...to a promise of you cooking him his favourite cake (especially nice if cake is limited due to weight issues!!!)….or a trip somewhere he would enjoy later in the year. (Classic Car show????)

Or you could take a photo of the Lexus and put it in a really nice frame.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Oct 18, 2:35 AM
    • 20,876 Posts
    • 56,225 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Because people enjoy giving and receiving gifts and if you are getting enjoyment from it then how is that a waste of money?

I would just ask him to have a think about what he wants or book a weekend away together.
    Originally posted by mai_taylor
    I'm not sure that people enjoy receiving gifts that they don't want...but Hey! Ho!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Oct 18, 3:36 AM
    • 20,365 Posts
    • 33,837 Thanks
    Spendless
    What about an experience? Depending on what he likes to do, you could either come up with something you sort out yourself or look to book him on something eg in York recently I saw a 1 day photography course advertised.

You mention his Lexus, this company do car mats made to exactly the right size.

https://carmatsdirect.co.uk/

Many men grumble about the cost of razors and I've bought a few of these that prolongs the life

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RazorPit-Sharpener-Cleans-Sharpens-Blades/dp/B00CWCW8TA
    • Dark Star
    • By Dark Star 10th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    Dark Star
    I'd second the Bluetooth speaker. They can be found from £5 (shaped like a Christmas bauble - home bargains last year) to over £100 (Bose etc.). The bauble one is good to hang on the tree & mystify people by playing music with no obvious source (link to phone/iPad). Ones like the Bose type are really good linked to an iPad for internet radio listening or tv/film catch-up when you'd like the sound to be a bit better.

Some other type of experience day - knife forging/blacksmithing or...
    https://trulyexperiences.com/uk/immersive-wilderness-dining-experience-for-two-with-nomadic.html
    perhaps something inspired by what he likes to watch on TV?
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 12th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    moonpenny
    I would make up a small hamper of foodstuffs you know he likes but a bit more special.
    Include some nice cheese and crackers (if he likes) maybe a small bottle of tipple and include some chocolates or special biscuits.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 13th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm glad it's still October
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 15th Oct 18, 9:52 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    crv1963
    While not yet 70, I'd second the post about new razors, they are expensive, I like getting socks and single malt whisky- they all taste different if you like them, or they all taste horrendous if you don't.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Oct 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 6,733 Thanks
    C J
    Since he is very fond of his ancient Lexus, how about a Lexus-branded gift such as a keyring, umbrella or T-shirt? They have some things on their website but you could probably find things on eBay too.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter