Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 7th Oct 18, 5:45 PM
    • 7,410Posts
    • 65,020Thanks
    mimi1234
    Can I Return A Laptop?
    • 7th Oct 18, 5:45 PM
    Can I Return A Laptop? 7th Oct 18 at 5:45 PM
    Hi all,

I purchased a laptop from Curry's PC World a week ago. I took in a photo of my last specifications and I said I wanted something similar. He showed me a few models but recommended the one I ended up buying. He assured me I could do a few things at once, like listen to YouTube and type an email or browse a website. This is not the case, the screen freezes and the panel at the bottom keeps flashing up, like all the icons flash up. I've not been able to do 2 things at once. This is of no use to me. I told him what I wanted it for, browsing and some work and I told him I normally watched stuff on YouTube or listened to music.

Also, when I was trying to watch iPlayer full screen, it switches to black and white!

It's a HP Ryzen thing and it's bloody awful. It looked OK when I had a look at one in the shop but it was not switched on and he told me they didn't have any more in which were live.

Also, he told me that this would not make any fan noises but it does!

Do I phone them up or just take the whole lot back or would they just tell me to sod off? I paid on a Mastercard credit card.
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 3,024 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    Every laptop made in the last decade is more than capable of doing several things at once so the problem you have isn't caused by the specification of the device. It has either a hardware or a software fault that it has, the problem is that if its a software issue it could be malware or viruses which is down to you.

You can take it back as you have the same consumer rights on that as if you did a faulty fridge with the exception that if it is found to be a software issue then there's usually no right of return. Personally I would run the recovery routine to reinstall Windows and see how it is then.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    • 7th Oct 18, 6:24 PM
    First thing to do is to reset the machine, because if the described issues are caused by software no company on the planet will warranty against that (and if you took it back to PC World that would be the first thing they did anyway)

That aside, see the "Sad Fart" article on the main website:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 13th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 65,020 Thanks
    mimi1234
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    Yesterday the volume completely disappeared. So I phoned them up and they said I could take it back for an exchange which I have done now.

This new one seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

7,084Users online

Martin's Twitter