Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hennymore
    • By Hennymore 6th Oct 18, 11:00 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Hennymore
    Would I regret getting a 5 kW woodburner?
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:00 PM
    Would I regret getting a 5 kW woodburner? 6th Oct 18 at 11:00 PM
    Thinking about getting a woodburner for our front room. Leaning towards a 5 kW one to save having to put in a vent, but Im not sure if Id come to regret it and wish Id gone with a higher capacity one.

The room is 5 * 4.6 m with about a 3.25 m ceiling. Its an Edwardian mid-terrace, mostly single glazed and not terribly well insulated. Door is usually open to the rest of the house. Online calculators tend to suggest around 6-7 kW.

We would want it as a cosy thing on a cold evening, but not as the main heat source or to save money on heating. So as long as we can sit a few metres from it and feel warmth radiate wed be happy.

Do you reckon wed be fine with a 5 kW one or might it be a good idea to go higher? Anyone out there picked too low a capacity and regretted it?
Page 2
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 8th Oct 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Our house is single glazed. We had several quotes for fitting double glazing... 15k+

15k buys a lot of gas.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Absolutely! And if you divide by the likely 15 year life of the new windows, you have 1,000 a year to spend on firewood!

(Edit: Isnt it sad that you really have to fight with autocorrect to be able to write windows without a capital W!).
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Oct 18, 8:54 AM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 7,208 Thanks
    -taff
    (Edit: Isnt it sad that you really have to fight with autocorrect to be able to write windows without a capital W!).
    Originally posted by Apodemus

You should see what my phone does to even ordinary words....

As for the fire, I liked the look of a 13kw one, when I did the calculations for room size etc, it seemed ok, but my calculations were totally off.

We eneded up with a 5kw one, and the person who fitted it [ really really good service from this person and no mess even though we prepped thoroughly, it wasn't necessary, will recommend to anyone] told us we'd be sitting in our pants when it was on. He was right.
    It warms the room [ same size ish as yours OP], the hallway, the kitchen and the bedroom upstairs.
    That fire and my hot blanket are the two best purchases we/I ever bought. Wouldn't be without either.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 8th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    We have two rooms the size of yours. One with a 5kw, and one with an 8kw. The 8kw definitely packs out a noticeable amount more heat. I'm glad we got it. The vent is behind a sofa and wasn't much extra work.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Oct 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2,718 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    no1catman
    Our house is single glazed. We had several quotes for fitting double glazing... 15k+

15k buys a lot of gas.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Really! 15K for a mid-terrace that is only front & back to do plus two doors - does seem high - Anglian/Everest high!!
    Have been re-doing our '39 semi in six-month stages - may make 10k but then have had extras - e.g. laminate noise reduction.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Oct 18, 10:06 PM
    • 11,375 Posts
    • 30,470 Thanks
    suki1964
    why do people worry about vents?

When I was a nipper all council houses had air vents in all the rooms

Ive a 6kw stove and air vent behind it

We broke the law and had a cover fitted, stove not lit its closed

Its just part and parcel of lighting the fire for us, open the vent before we start

6KW and you are put out of the room with the heat. I lit ours today at lunchtime and burned 3 peats and 5 or six offcuts of wood and let it go out at tea time, its still really warm in here
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • phil_b
    • By phil_b 12th Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    phil_b
    Another one here with a 5kw stove. My room is a tad smaller than yours but it gets too hot with the burner on full. I usually have to close the vents, strip off or open a door.
    • Stefang
    • By Stefang 13th Oct 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stefang
    Hello

Having fitted many burner in many different houses over the last 30 years. I would say the main difference is the size of the door. By this I mean a 5kw stove can burn way hot enough for your space but, and this is a big but, it will be a smaller firebox (especially with the firebricks in it) and a smaller door. This means you have to either cut up your wood fuel smaller to fit it in unless you are using coal/smokeless or you will have to buy it like that. this means more attention is needed as the fuel burn away faster. You will be continually filling your stove like Casey Jones trying to escape the train robbers. A bigger stove means large logs longer burn and less hassle. You don't have to fill it. get to know it and make sure its burning efficiently with a good sealed flue and trust me its worth the bit extra you will have to spend on the stove.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,282Posts Today

9,133Users online

Martin's Twitter