Sky and Now tv

Currently I'm paying over £100 for my Sky TV and Broadband package. I'm currently looking how I can greatly reduce my monthly outlay.

One area where I can make savings is on Sky sports, I'm currently paying £28 for the full package + sports HD, so will be £30 a month. I only really watch football & this is usually just when Manchester united or England games are on. so I have been thinking maybe I should get a Now TV stick & just buy either daily or weekly sports passes, over a year this would save me a fair amount, I would not be interested in the other Now TV passes.

I'm only interested in watching sports on my TV rather than other devices. My question is can you still watch Now TV for just the Sports passes while still subscribing to Sky? Any disadvantages in using Now TV for watching sports ?

I will be calling Sky to see what deals they can offer me, but want to check that combining Now TV with a Sky subscription is do-able.

Comments

• As an existing customer out of contract I can get all of the sports packages for £22 right now, the PL only package is £18 but they also have the other Football package for £18 which may show England games so there's £8 saving straight off.

£100 for Sky & BB is expensive, what exactly do you get? Can you post the actual package breakdown from your Sky account? I'm guessing you are out of contract?

Edit: the Sports packages are rolling monthly BTW.
  • You can BTW use NowTV and Sky together with no issues.
  • richt99
    richt99 Posts: 142
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    currently I get

box sets = £39.50
    cinema £10
    Sports £28
    sports HD £6 (changing to £2)

broadband unlimited £11.01
    line rental £18.99

Cinema I want to keep, but may reduce from box sets to the entertainment package. Definitely paying too much for my broadband as well. Although I want to stay with Sky for TV can't see any reason to stay with them for broadband, unless they give me a good offer.
  • richt99
    richt99 Posts: 142
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yes I am out of contract
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Might be worth you looking at swapping movies to Now tv too. I haven't paid more than £5 a month on movies via vouchers purchased online. Between them and the 3.99 offer that usually lasts 3/4 months when your voucher ends and you go to cancel cinema is a lot cheaper through nowtv. I have entertainment pack off sky and box sets and fill the gaps with Nowtv due to price.

If you do go to entertainment (you won't have much choice as they don't offer the old box sets) you should aim to get box sets added for £1.
  • You're paying full whack for everything. Boxsets is a legacy package now and has been replaced with Entertainment as the base package with everything else considered add-ons, even Sports & Cinema.

Entertainment is £20 with HD, Boxsets & Kids for instance at £5 each on top so even paying the full price for that you'll make a saving, even more if you don't need Kids or Boxsets. Standard BB from Sky at the moment is £18 for me (I'm with NowTV for BB).

Use https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ to check what's available for BB and use it to negotiate and do your TV while you're there.

Have a look through https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480644&page=105 for at least the last 5 pages and see what you could be paying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    richt99 wrote: »
    I'm currently paying £28 for the full package + sports HD, so will be £30 a month. I only really watch football & this is usually just when Manchester united or England games are on. so I have been thinking maybe I should get a Now TV stick & just buy either daily or weekly sports passes, over a year this would save me a fair amount
    If you've been used to watching Sports (and Movies) in HD, you should be aware that NOWTV doesn't offer HD so the picture quality will be significantly reduced.

Better probably to negotiate a better deal with Sky for your existing bouquet of channels. See what they can offer rather than simply cancel various constituents of your package.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was with Sky TV, Broadband/ landline, and also had the now TV packages.
    Switched to EE broadband and landline and Freesat and now saving about £90 per month. I found that you can become addicted to all the Sky channels and was very reluctant to change, best change I've made as I soon found plenty of alternative channels.
  • Just a heads up regarding my experience contacting Now TV support.

I currently have a technical problem accessing their service via Android and streaming with a Chromecast and I'm encountering numerous problems dealing with their "customer support" staff.

Their only point of contact is via an online chat service. They do not appear to be UK based and seem to deal with inquiries via a check sheet.

The chat connection is very flakey, I was redirected on three occasions yesterday to other support agents, whilst in contact with an agent, and the connection also dropped out twice.

They are unable to deal with my problem so I've requested that they escalate the problem. I was informed they would escalate the problem to their technical team and that I would be contacted by email shortly. Time was at lunchtime yesterday and I'm still waiting for the email.

During my contact with them I was informed of a email address that I could use to contact them. On sending an email I received a reply that said
    "Hi ,
    Thanks for getting in touch, but this address isn’t monitored for incoming messages.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,344
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I use Now TV most of the time. It's not HD, which has never bothered me as I've never had Sky or Sky HD. I've found the Entertainment and Movies have been okay not in HD, not watch much sport through it.

The sports is streamed so you need a decent BB if you don't want to lose the live match coverage while it's on. The best thing about Now is that it is weekly/monthly, so if you don't like it, you can ditch it. Never had to contact their CS as it works fine on my TV and/or PS4. As said above, you can usually get deals or discounts as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure