Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5,002Posts
    • 17,020Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Doctor Who
    • 6th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    Doctor Who 6th Oct 18 at 8:27 AM
    Doctor Who is on BBC One on Sunday at 18:45

New Doctor
    New Sunday slot

Will you be watching?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
Page 5
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 6th Nov 18, 10:40 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    Well 'they' say there wont be a Christmas Day Special on Christmas Day.. just a 60 minute episode on New Years Day.

Also it doesn't look like there will be a New Series/Series 2 Next Year as the date to start filming it isn't until 2019..

“It looks far more likely that the next run will air in winter or spring 2020,” a BBC source reportedly said. “There simply isn’t time to finish filming and get all the editing done before next October. It’s too tight. We’re facing a gap year.”

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-11-02/doctor-who-next-series-12-delayed-2020-2019/
    • dontone
    • By dontone 6th Nov 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    dontone
    I'd go along with that, except I'd call the series so far, uber-PC'd tripe with writing so bad my Chihuahuas could probably do better.

But, if people are enjoying it then fair enough, but it does gall me when I see/hear praise heaped upon episodes that are just easy-to-produce trite nonsense.

I reckon it'll run to two series - maybe - then if the writing doesn't improve, it won't do a third.
    Originally posted by quidsinquentin
    This ^^^
    If you want a good laugh, go on FB for some of the 'blinkered' comments. Folk still trying to justify the casting by getting on at folk who are seeing it for what it is - rubbish.
    Last week with the spiders was compared with Pertwee's classic 'The Green Death'
    This week, it was one of the best monster for a while, and JW is the best Doctor ever.
    I'm wondering what these people are watching.
    So far, it's been preachy, over the top PC nonsense with a Doctor who looks more gormless ever week, is out of her depth, and with at least one companion too many (go away Ryan). Even the 'threat' this week was far too cute to take seriously (expecting a ton of plush toys to come out before Christmas)
    I've already said that Bradley Walsh is the best thing in it, I'm standing by that statement.
    The rest can just go away. I'm a lifelong fan. I despair of this series. It's not even a well written CBBC series. It's complete and utter poo.
    So there
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 6th Nov 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 14,708 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I'd go along with that, except I'd call the series so far, uber-PC'd tripe with writing so bad my Chihuahuas could probably do better.

But, if people are enjoying it then fair enough, but it does gall me when I see/hear praise heaped upon episodes that are just easy-to-produce trite nonsense.

I reckon it'll run to two series - maybe - then if the writing doesn't improve, it won't do a third.
    This ^^^
    If you want a good laugh, go on FB for some of the 'blinkered' comments. Folk still trying to justify the casting by getting on at folk who are seeing it for what it is - rubbish.
    Last week with the spiders was compared with Pertwee's classic 'The Green Death'
    This week, it was one of the best monster for a while, and JW is the best Doctor ever.
    So far, it's been preachy, over the top PC nonsense with a Doctor who looks more gormless ever week, is out of her depth, and with at least one companion too many (go away Ryan). Even the 'threat' this week was far too cute to take seriously (expecting a ton of plush toys to come out before Christmas)
    I've already said that Bradley Walsh is the best thing in it, I'm standing by that statement.
    The rest can just go away. I'm a lifelong fan. I despair of this series. It's not even a well written CBBC series. It's complete and utter poo.
    So there
    Originally posted by dontone
    Says it all. If people like it then fair enough.
    I can't stand it for the reasons above, and voted with my remote control after two episodes.
    More and more output from the BBC gets voted that way for me.
    They seem to be missing the point that there is more and more choice out there.
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 6th Nov 18, 6:00 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    This ^^^
    So there
    Originally posted by dontone

Are you on Gallifrey Base?
    • dontone
    • By dontone 6th Nov 18, 6:50 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    dontone
    Are you on Gallifrey Base?
    Originally posted by Zinco
    Could be.......
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 8th Nov 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    I disagree entirely.

Captain Marvel is Marvel's equivalent of Superman - almost indestructible, so a fall to earth from space is survivable.

Since when has Doctor Who been almost indestructible - at least enough to survive a fall from space...?
    I'm not saying Doctor Who should or shouldn't have been able to survive the fall, I'm just saying it has nothing to do with Captain Marvel.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Nov 18, 2:59 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 10,965 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    As a lifelong fan (seems necessary to state that), I'm enjoying it a lot. Don't find three companions over many, I seem to recall Adric, Nyssa and Tegan all being around at the same time, for example.

Also like that this iteration of the theme includes the original melody line from 1963.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 8th Nov 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    dontone
    As a lifelong fan (seems necessary to state that), I'm enjoying it a lot. Don't find three companions over many, I seem to recall Adric, Nyssa and Tegan all being around at the same time, for example.

Also like that this iteration of the theme includes the original melody line from 1963.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99

The thing is, with those 3 companions you have named, is that they all had an introductory story that revolved around them. Plus, the stories in those days all lasted from 90 to 120+ minutes a time, so there was plenty of time to give them their own personality.
    The longer format worked, 'cos during the serials, they could potter round, getting to meet others, and get into trouble before the Doctor or other good guys could rescue them. They all had something to do, and they all had mini stories within the story.
    The format how it is now, is too short to invest the time to get you to really care for 3 companions. It's rushed, and it's like i.e, Sunday's mess, er, story, where instead of acting worried that the ship was going to blow up, they were helping a bloke give birth and it shoe horned nonsense in about Ryan's (who I think is a complete waste of space) dad. More sentimental claptrap. Previous companions, whether you liked them or not, made you care what happened to them in a way. This lot, apart from Bradley are just 'meh!'
    So, I think that 3 is at least one too many. Actually, for this series, it's 2 too many.
    The theme is one of the better things about the show this time round, and Bradley Walsh. I'm not impressed with the rest of it tbh. And I'm a lifelong fan too.

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Nov 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 17,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Just in case anyone is interested (or cares) there are 2 episodes on the Drama channel starting at 7pm with Tennant's Doctor and Piper as Rose.

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 10th Nov 18, 4:23 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    Just in case anyone is interested (or cares) there are 2 episodes on the Drama channel starting at 7pm with Tennant's Doctor and Piper as Rose.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    They are usually on Watch tv channel that one has to pay for.

Doctor Who S1-S10 available on BBC iPlayer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p06870tz
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Nov 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 17,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    They are usually on Watch tv channel that one has to pay for.

Doctor Who S1-S10 available on BBC iPlayer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p06870tz
    Pay for TV

Are you daft?

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 10th Nov 18, 4:28 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    Pay for TV

Are you daft?

Not anymore. (paying for repeats of repeats of repeats is a mugs game)
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 10th Nov 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11,522 Posts
    • 24,844 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

I had high hopes after watching the first episode but it has gone downhill since then.

I wonder how this series will go down with the american audience who are usually huge fans - not well I would think.
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 10th Nov 18, 4:50 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    Tomorrows episode is about the British Empires involvement in the creation of India and Pakistan.

No doubt we will get preached to in a politically correct way.

*Sigh*
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 10th Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    P.S It starts at 6.35pm tomorrow.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 10th Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    dontone
    I had high hopes after watching the first episode but it has gone downhill since then.

I wonder how this series will go down with the american audience who are usually huge fans - not well I would think.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I've been reading some of the comments from the Americans on FB. TBH, I can't make head nor tail of some of it. But they are very good at telling us Brits how we should think. Some of them do seem to think that the show is their's though, and are aghast that we don't get adverts every 5 mins interrupting the show like they do over there. The idea of a BBC with a public paying a licence fee goes completely over their heads.
    They do come out with some rubbish as well. One suggested to me the other week that 'I hated JW because I can no longer totally man crush on the Doctor'. WTF?!?!
    And someone suggested the Colin Baker hated the role of the 6th Doctor - 'cos I disagreed with them when they said he was 'rubbish'
    I will admit that I am very fond of America. But I can't understand the folk sometimes.

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Nov 18, 2:37 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 17,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    P.S It starts at 6.35pm tomorrow.
    7:00 pm here

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 11th Nov 18, 4:33 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    7:00 pm here

Yes you are correct.

Thankyou.

I have checked again and it is next week that Doctor Who is on at 6.30pm.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Nov 18, 7:55 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 17,020 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Either my brain is getting slower as I get older or this series is still too manic

I watched it tonight but still feel as though I missed something.

This week - 75.1
    Total so far - 3486.4
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 12th Nov 18, 3:52 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    Zinco
    I enjoyed it, best of the series (so far).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

7,837Users online

Martin's Twitter