Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5,201Posts
    • 17,548Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Doctor Who
    • 6th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    Doctor Who 6th Oct 18 at 8:27 AM
    Doctor Who is on BBC One on Sunday at 18:45

New Doctor
    New Sunday slot

Will you be watching?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
Page 3
    • dontone
    • By dontone 8th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 14,298 Thanks
    dontone
    Hang on - if you're old enough to remember Romana(dvoratrelundar) then you might recall that when she regenerated - she had control over the process and chose her new image. So it's feasible that some Gallifreyans could choose to change sex (maybe it's a cultural thing to stay with one) but others like the Doctor have always been at the mercy of fate. The Master may have always had that control but habitually chose to be male until such time as it suited hir to become Missy. (Alternatively - the Master didn't have it in their first set of regenerations but gained it in the second set...)

Back to the topic...

Didn't watch on Sunday. I vaguely thought I might but forgot. To be honest - I gave up on New Who after a couple of years of Tennant. Not helped by the over the top hype and endless Radio Times plugging.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Hang on - I do remember, and Romana did regenerate, but she did not change sex. Species yes, and the Doctor also told her off for choosing the form of a princess they encountered during The Key To Time episodes. The changing of sex was never mentioned during the Classic series.
    The Master used up all his regenerations as he was very badly injured, and then stole the body he then had during the late Baker era. But, we never saw him regenerate using his new cycle from the Master to Missy in Nu-Who, so, whether he went from male to female, or stole another body, it hasn't been made clear.

Btw, you are missing out if you haven't seen the Capaldi era. He's great in the role.
    And i do agree with you regarding all the hype. Did we really need to see a glass ceiling breaking and all the 'it's about time' nonsense? (although some have been saying it's 'cos they have had to wait so long, but I think it's because it's now a woman.)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Oct 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 15,579 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    New Doctor Who.
    Watched it.
    Probably won't bother again. Nothing to do with female Doctor.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 8th Oct 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Hang on - I do remember, and Romana did regenerate, but she did not change sex. Species yes, and the Doctor also told her off for choosing the form of a princess they encountered during The Key To Time episodes. The changing of sex was never mentioned during the Classic series.
    Originally posted by dontone
    Not specifically... but if some can choose the body they regenerate into; maybe some could choose sex as well.
    The Master used up all his regenerations as he was very badly injured, and then stole the body he then had during the late Baker era.
    Taking the body of Tremas, Keeper of Traken.... and presumably would have to keep doing so until he could steal a Gallifreyan body and it's remaining regenerations.
    But, we never saw him regenerate using his new cycle from the Master to Missy in Nu-Who, so, whether he went from male to female, or stole another body, it hasn't been made clear.
    But we did see "Professor Yana" regenerate into "Harold Saxon". How "Saxon" faked his death to return as "Missy" is harder to explain - but if ze has actual control than possibly it could have gone 1) simulate death 2) regenerate quickly when the "corpse" is not being watched 3) substitute a fake body (or possibly the original Saxon kept on standby somehow).
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.77 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 8th Oct 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    The problem is, is that this doesn't make any sense to have all these male leads, and all of a sudden 'let's have a woman'.
    If they'd show the Doctor as a woman all those years ago, people like you would have turned off the TV.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • dontone
    • By dontone 8th Oct 18, 4:01 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 14,298 Thanks
    dontone
    If they'd show the Doctor as a woman all those years ago, people like you would have turned off the TV.
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex
    First of all, kindly define 'people like me'
    And actually no I wouldn't have done. I'd have accepted it more than I have now.
    And the reason is, is that I grew up in the 80's/90's (started watching DW at the age of 4 in 1980) we had very few female role models back then.
    From the top of my head, I can remember Wonder Woman, She-ra, and Tessa Sanderson. We girls were crying out for them at that time.
    A female Doctor would have been a real start to the 'girl power' attitude that the Spice Girls supposedly started (although it was a girl band called Shampoo who set it off in the '90's). And all we seemed to have back in the '90's was that lot and the 'girlie Show'. The 'Ladette' culture also did us no favours.
    It could have been done after the Colin Baker era, or, during the rather dire movie. But it didn't happen. They could even have done it in 2005 during the reboot instead of Eccleston, but they didn't. The DW character has been male all the way through until now. And has been a role model to all.
    If they are going to use the 'role model' argument for it now, there are tons of role models for girls nowadays (admittedly, I'm not a fan of these who are all pouting and tight frocks) but there are tons of women in power, and female athletes that are making a real difference.
    That's not to say that DW didn't make an impression on me back then, as it made me rather interested in the universe, and Colin Baker is my all time favourite. But, in those times a female Doctor would have made a lot more sense than to have over 50 years as a established male character then change it.
    It just seems that it has been done now just for the sake of it.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• dontone
    • By dontone 8th Oct 18, 4:11 PM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 14,298 Thanks
    dontone
    Not specifically... but if some can choose the body they regenerate into; maybe some could choose sex as well.
    Taking the body of Tremas, Keeper of Traken.... and presumably would have to keep doing so until he could steal a Gallifreyan body and it's remaining regenerations. But we did see "Professor Yana" regenerate into "Harold Saxon". How "Saxon" faked his death to return as "Missy" is harder to explain - but if ze has actual control than possibly it could have gone 1) simulate death 2) regenerate quickly when the "corpse" is not being watched 3) substitute a fake body (or possibly the original Saxon kept on standby somehow).
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Wasn't Romana smarter than the Doctor in the Academy though? She seemed to have a few more skills than him during her run. Like making her hearts stop to get away from the Daleks suppression. So, that may be an explanation as to why she just could pick n choose her body shape.
    I miss YANA, Derek Jacobi was great in that role. Although he is getting rave reviews with the Big Finish stories. I keep saying I'm going to get one or two.
    I'm assuming with Tremas, it was a simple case of taking over the body, yet all vital organs (2 hearts) replaced everything else. It's one of those isn't it? Yet the TimeLords glossed over that and offered a new cycle of regenerations anyway, so there was no need to find a Gallifreyian body.
    The Master to Missy might be one of those that the writers are hoping that we completely forget about, to cover the fact that it's a massive plot hole.

• NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 9th Oct 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    NBLondon
    And the reason is, is that I grew up in the 80's/90's (started watching DW at the age of 4 in 1980) we had very few female role models back then.
    Oh - you're a youngster.... I grew up in the 70s - when Sarah Jane Smith started to step out of the "just there to be threatened" role. Not always successfully though...
    A female Doctor would have been a real start to the 'girl power' attitude ....
    It could have been done after the Colin Baker era,
    It was already getting there slowly - Tegan built on Sarah Jane and then Peri looked like she was going to go further. But Ace was the peak of girl power in the Whoniverse, surely?
    or, during the rather dire movie. But it didn't happen. They could even have done it in 2005 during the reboot instead of Eccleston, but they didn't.
    Reboot and change sex at the same time ??? Very high risk option, I'd say. The time to do it might have been instead of Matt Smith IMHO.
    Wasn't Romana smarter than the Doctor in the Academy though?
    Yep - that's what I recall.
    So, that may be an explanation as to why she just could pick n choose her body shape.
    You mean everyone has the potential to do it - the Doctor just didn't concentrate in that lecture? Yeah - fits in with his character
    I'm assuming with Tremas, it was a simple case of taking over the body, yet all vital organs (2 hearts) replaced everything else. It's one of those isn't it? Yet the TimeLords glossed over that and offered a new cycle of regenerations anyway, so there was no need to find a Gallifreyian body.
    Well - a reboot of the cycle is clearly not a general option, is it? The Master got it as a big bribe and the Doctor got it for saving the universe for the 237th time. Back in 1981 - President Borusa thought he could get a never ending cycle and that didn't end well for him...
    The Master to Missy might be one of those that the writers are hoping that we completely forget about, to cover the fact that it's a massive plot hole.
    There's a lot of New Who that doesn't quite fit with previous stuff and a lot that has to be explained in a timey-wimey way...
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.77 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 9th Oct 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    First of all, kindly define 'people like me'
    And actually no I wouldn't have done. I'd have accepted it more than I have now.
    From the top of my head, I can remember Wonder Woman, She-ra, and Tessa Sanderson. We girls were crying out for them at that time.
    A female Doctor would have been a real start to the 'girl power' attitude that the Spice Girls supposedly started (although it was a girl band called Shampoo who set it off in the '90's). And all we seemed to have back in the '90's was that lot and the 'girlie Show'. The 'Ladette' culture also did us no favours.
    It could have been done after the Colin Baker era, or, during the rather dire movie. But it didn't happen. They could even have done it in 2005 during the reboot instead of Eccleston, but they didn't. The DW character has been male all the way through until now. And has been a role model to all.
    If they are going to use the 'role model' argument for it now, there are tons of role models for girls nowadays (admittedly, I'm not a fan of these who are all pouting and tight frocks) but there are tons of women in power, and female athletes that are making a real difference.
    That's not to say that DW didn't make an impression on me back then, as it made me rather interested in the universe, and Colin Baker is my all time favourite. But, in those times a female Doctor would have made a lot more sense than to have over 50 years as a established male character then change it.
    It just seems that it has been done now just for the sake of it.
    People like you are simply people who seem to have a problem with the Doctor being female. (I apologise if it came across like I was trying to insinuate anything other than that!)

I don't understand how you can be fine with it if it had happened in the 90s or 2005 but when they do it now somehow it's wrong. Just because they're late, they shouldn't bother? If we hadn't had a female prime minister before, would we say "too late, shoud have elected one in the 90s, don't bother running now ladies"? Of course we wouldn't.

If Doctor Who started today, and it ran for 50 years (with or without a break it doesn't really matter) and always had male actors portraying the Doctor, and then switched to a woman in 2068 then I could get on board with your argument. An argument along the lines of "it's always been this way, why change after so long?" would make sense. But there is a reason it didn't change in the past and that is because in the past women weren't trusted as lead characters to bring in the big bucks for the TV execs.

You can argue that this isn't accurate and this moment happened in the 90s. But I don't think that's the case at all. I think it is only very recent that we're seeing this type of role being given to women. And it's only now safe enough to try it. It wasn't safe in the 90s and it wasn't safe in 2005 - it would have been a huge risk for the franchise because women simply weren't proven money makers at the helm of this type of show.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • vitamin_joe
    • By vitamin_joe 12th Oct 18, 4:45 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    vitamin_joe
    Give it time and I dare say there'll be a black disabled lesbian Doctor Who, who only answers to the pronoun 'Ze'
    Originally posted by phryne
    That's just species-ist. I think Doctor Who should come back as a freshwater crocodile, or one of those baboons that's always showing its bum.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 13th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 9,632 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    Didn't mind Jodie at all, but by god are they smashing the diversity quota and its so obvious; even the upcoming guests are ticking the diversity box. Nothing to do with the right person for the role on initial glance, but i'll give it a chance.

Episode was about 15mins too long and NO INTRO!!!! At the minute i am still in, but i am hoping for off world stuff, if we are sticking to Sheffield then i'm out.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Oct 18, 3:27 PM
    • 39,960 Posts
    • 147,422 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Didn't mind Jodie at all, but by god are they smashing the diversity quota and its so obvious; even the upcoming guests are ticking the diversity box. Nothing to do with the right person for the role on initial glance, but i'll give it a chance.

Episode was about 15mins too long and NO INTRO!!!! At the minute i am still in, but i am hoping for off world stuff, if we are sticking to Sheffield then i'm out.
    Originally posted by Ivrytwr3
    A quick look at tonight's summary and it looks like they are offworld.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Oct 18, 9:26 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Storyline this week was a bit better but still too many holes and still too nicey-nicey.

This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 54,151 Posts
    • 149,809 Thanks
    colinw
    Storyline this week was a bit better but still too many holes and still too nicey-nicey.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I missed it I might watch it on catch up.....
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Oct 18, 9:55 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 17,548 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I missed it ....
    Originally posted by colinw
    I might have missed it as well if the American Football game had not been so one-sided and also switched to the red button.

This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 15th Oct 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 15,579 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Got it recorded. Friend who had watched it said he thought that the new Doctor was too much just "one of the team" and not enough "the main character"
    • dontone
    • By dontone 15th Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,346 Posts
    • 14,298 Thanks
    dontone
    It was a boring mess.
    And that new TARDIS design looks awful too.
    This new series isn't working. The acting is wooden, apart from Bradley Walsh, and the storylines are rubbish. I'm fully expecting the novelty of JW being the Doctor to wear off pretty quickly. (It shouldn't have happened in the first place).
    Also, she is very irritating constantly waving that new sonic screwdriver about. It's like 'Look, I have a new sonic, and it's this year's must have Christmas toy, see how pretty it is when I wave it through the air.....'

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Oct 18, 2:42 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Better than Episode 1, still has its problems like its cluster of companions, Yaz seemed all but useless, Bradley Walsh's character seems the best as hes like the voice of reason.

And somehow with a home made sonic 13 is somehow able to stabilise the Tardis (which would be more believable if it was a sonic made from the Tardis) I'd rather at best she slowed down the phase and then jumped in and stabilised it.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 18, 6:51 PM
    • 39,960 Posts
    • 147,422 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It was an interesting storyline.

I wouldn't be surprised if those two racers don't turn up again at some time.

Nice seeing Art Malik.

I did feel that Jodie's acting might have seemed a bit manic in this episode, but then the Doctor is still settling down after the regeneration, so that might be why.

It will be interesting see how it all progresses.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 16th Oct 18, 8:16 AM
    • 14,840 Posts
    • 28,091 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Does anybody need a Doctor?

• NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 16th Oct 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    NBLondon
    No - not Thirteen!
    I've been holding it back but I can't put up with it anymore - I know newspaper reviewers don't check but there are real Whovians here and no-one has said it yet.

Jodie Whittaker is playing the 15th Doctor - not the 13th !

A Gallifreyan has 12 regenerations, so 13 lives. William Hartnell was the First Doctor, first regeneration became Patrick Troughton who was the Second Doctor who was forced to regenerate by a Time Lord court to become the Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) and so on to Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) He regenerated to become the War Doctor (John Hurt). So the first incarnation of New Who is the Tenth (Christopher Eccleston), then Eleventh (David Tennant) who used up a regeneration in Journey's End but kept the same appearance (by channelling it through the hand he lost in The Christmas Invasion so becoming the Twelfth Doctor. The twelfth regeneration creates the Thirteenth Doctor as played by Matt Smith. Who was rebooted into a new cycle to create the Fourteenth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) - therefore we are now on the second regeneration of the second cycle and the Fifteenth Doctor.

She's the 13th to use the name (9th apparently renounced it) ; and the 14th to play the part.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,216Posts Today

7,827Users online

Martin's Twitter