Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 5th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 746Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty's New Start
    • 5th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    Hazelnutty's New Start 5th Oct 18 at 9:02 PM
    Hi everyone

I've been an MSEr for many years although on and off the forums (I was a total addict of the families board when I was expecting DD) A lot's changed in my life in the last 18 months and it's a new start in many ways so I thought I'd come back and start a diary to help me get me on course. I could do with the support of you lovely people along the way

My ex & I separated (more or less totally amicably) and have divided our financial lives. I took on our new house on my own, which I could do (just!) by remortaging over a longer period (we would have paid it off in 13 years - now it's 25 ) and he took all the money - a division that made sense for various reasons. We now both have new partners now. Mine can't work and I'm supporting me, OH and DD on my salary (with child support from my ex and a kind gift of some safety net savings from my Mum so I wouldn't crash if anything happened).

So now I'm rebuilding. Since moving careers after finishing my PhD I'd earned a lot less than my ex so I've been getting used to having less now and needing to plan and prioritise more than before. I'm now into my 40s so if I can avoid being saddled with my mortgage into my 60s that'd be great!

I'm pretty careful and I save and budget for things like car insurance, holidays etc but after I've squirrelled that away, I'm not left with much to OP or stash for savings. I currently pay 670/month on approx 155k mortgage and top up OP to 700, so it's not much but I'm determined to increase it! I do what I think are Tilly Tidies every day (1 + whatever pennies are in my current account) but I've just been transferring them into my general savings. That'll be the first thing to turn into an OP. Clearing out stuff for sale on F@cebook too although I've found it pretty frustrating (I work long hours and so get a bit fed up with flakiness). My OH is getting into batch cooking and we're pretty good generally with meal plans etc. But basically I'm pretty up for trying stuff to chip away at the mortgage

DD's calling me for stories so I'll carry on later! Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by Hazelnutty; 05-10-2018 at 9:25 PM.
Page 7
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 45,320 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hope you have a great time
    MFW 21

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,353 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hope you're having a fabulous time Nutty
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

21,220.89/15,000
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 11th Nov 18, 4:57 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thank you all for your good wishes! We had a great time!

XH have us recommendations for pastel de nata so we left early to make the bakery's opening times (I just LOVE those things but good ones are hard to find in the UK) We made it just in time then had a charity shop peruse with some success. I got some lovely jeans (which I had been in the market for new, but spent 4.50 in Scope instead, which is a great cause). OH got a long-sleeve top (it was colder and wetter than we'd expected!) and a couple of other bits. We were most proud of a 1930 girls' annual, with a dedication from Mummy and Daddy to their daughter, 1929. It's full of stories of jolly japes illustrated with engravings. Lovely quality book although a little worse for wear at almost 90 years old ) Going to give that to DD for Christmas (2.50)

Dinner was disappointing for me - who serves fish n fries grrrr (and fish was all dry ugh) although OH's burger was lovely. Then they tried to add a compulsory service charge OH was brilliant and stepped in as I was feeling too tired to fight lol. That was the only annoying thing. I don't mind spending money on nice food if it's worth it, and this definitely wasn't and wasn't cheap.

The all-dayer was just fab. Saw our top 3 bands before bailing as I was too tired lol. Only managed 3 half pints The music and the venue were great. Just really chilled and inclusive and welcoming. They had a vegan food truck outside too so we had a little snack before the taxi came. Hotel, dinner and a couple of drinks were covered from our stash pot for trips so all good. Just the best breakfast this morning at another of XH's recommended places. Collected DD, did the food shopping (first big shop since 26th - 84 but should last min 2 weeks bar milk, bread etc - big batch cooking sesh for OH tomorrow), bought kittens' first collars then home. It was the first night on their own bless them, although a good friend checked in on them twice. I even left a light on timer for them

Since then it's been tea (now wine) and chill out. OH and I currently watching the FWW series on 5 and DD is doing homework.

I've given up on most of my outstanding FB sales. They've been up for a while and it's time to call time (plus I get sick of timewasters and all the people who enquire and then never get back to you, like all they're doing is fishing around ). Only now selling some DS games and some good quality outdoor stuff. Have offered DD's old bed to Emmaus and will take everything else to the local hospice shop, which is a charity I support anyway. We're still a way from my target of getting the storage room turned into a functional room by Christmas though

A busy week ahead and another 2 long days in London. Just hope it doesn't set my recovery back.

Hope you've all had a good weekend
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 45,320 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sounds like a great weekend, I hope your Dd likes the annual
    MFW 21

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Nov 18, 10:01 PM
    • 30,050 Posts
    • 174,207 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What an amazing weekend you had! On so many levels ... pastel de nata, very yum ... and kitten collars! How were they, on leaving them alone for a little bit? Hope you get a bit of catchup sleep tonight
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 12th Nov 18, 9:21 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thanks NG and Karma!

The boy cat is slightly smaller and even with the collar at its smallest he can get it off. We found him collarless this morning (collar was in the kitchen cupboard thing where he apparently sleeps!) The girl cat is clearly unimpressed, probably because her sneak attacks on her brother are less likely to come off. We've had some stink eye from her but she's kept it on nonetheless.

OH has switched out the coffee machines and we now have the amazing proper espresso machine out ( a birthday present a few years back from XH). I am currently enjoying my second cappuccino of the morning, which is going down well. We are going through milk like nobody's business (2 pints down in the 6-pinter bought yesterday afternoon). Still, better than coffee shops and filter coffee, to my mind anyway.

Should be a quiet NS day bar cleaner coming, postponed from last week, cash all ready and netball match fees later. All budgeted so no sweat . Just checked and I'm 154/280 on food budget spends so far with 16 days to go, so I think that'll be fine. 73/125 on Ents budget and 73/150 on fuel.

Right, better get cracking work-wise. Catch you all later
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 11,468 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey Hazelnutty, just caught up with your diary from the beginning. It sounds like you're doing really well. Don't worry about only being able to make small overpayments: a) these all add up and b) you never know what's around the corner. DH and I couldn't afford to make more than token payments to start with but as we've finished doing stuff to the house (which you've mentioned you want to do to yours), our OPs have become much bigger.

The kittens sound adorable - reminds me of when our boys were little. However, they're exhausting too, aren't they?! Always in the places they're not meant to be! (Or was that just our pair?!)
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 13th Nov 18, 11:31 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Thanks, Vix!

Yes, that's exactly what they're like! Current battle is against nibbling all the plants. When they were smaller they could wriggle in the gap between the running board and the dishwasher door, which was a total pain. Luckily they're too big for that now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,521Posts Today

7,484Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin